There are 277 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Some people don't realize that's Charlie Woerner at the checkdown. Wideopen for a 1st down for sure but thinking it's a TD, they just don't know how slow Woerner is.

From jonnydel and JTO's breakdown of this play, we now know Aiyuk adjusted his route to Brock throwing him open, all within a nano second. Good s**t between Brock and Aiyuk
Nah, Brock was like Eff Kyle, BA I'm throwing you the ball for a touchdown. None of this playing it safe BS that Kyle wants.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
Yeah, the main benefit of having a cannon is that you have more room for error to make up for mistakes. A majority of QBs in the nfl have the arm strength to make all the throws, just likely Purdy can. So it doesn't add an element to the passing game that can't be found without a cannon. It really just provides the qb a bigger room for error. You can be later on what you're supposed to be doing and just gun it in there.

Agree, I'll just add the only times I've seen having a rocket arm worthwhile is at the end of games when you are behind and need that last minute score quickly. A good arm will fit those deeper throws against prevent defenses better than weaker arms.

Again, I just don't think Brock is throwing at his maximum power in games, simply because he has outstanding accuracy and anticipation. I go back to the redskin/commander game of last year where he threw a 50+ (i think) yarder to Kittle in the endzone. That was an eyepopping Mahomes-like lazer throw.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Alfienator:

Some people don't realize that's Charlie Woerner at the checkdown. Wideopen for a 1st down for sure but thinking it's a TD, they just don't know how slow Woerner is.

From jonnydel and JTO's breakdown of this play, we now know Aiyuk adjusted his route to Brock throwing him open, all within a nano second. Good s**t between Brock and Aiyuk
Nah, Brock was like Eff Kyle, BA I'm throwing you the ball for a touchdown. None of this playing it safe BS that Kyle wants.

This
Originally posted by Furlow:

This
Brock has the go big or go home mentality.

This
not this lol

in no way was he going against Kyle
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

This
not this lol

notice ppl over the years frame it as QB vs HC
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Only those that want to denigrate Kyle.

This
not this lol

yup def not the brightest

This
not this lol

I'm not sure I've ever seen a winning team where the HC and QB don't get along or aren't on the same page. Pretty hard to win when they aren't.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I'm not sure I've ever seen a winning team where the HC and QB don't get along or aren't on the same page. Pretty hard to win when they aren't.

It's a symbiosis. The best QB's make the best HC better and vice versa.

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

It's a symbiosis. The best QB's make the best HC better and vice versa.

I wonder if Purdy is making Kyle draw up new stuff. It's obvious Kyle knows and understands all intricacies of football. You can tell he is happily amazed at what Purdy is doing and the throws/decisions he makes just continue to elevate. It must feel quite liberating because we all know its incredibly hard to find a franchise qb.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I wonder if Purdy is making Kyle draw up new stuff. It's obvious Kyle knows and understands all intricacies of football. You can tell he is happily amazed at what Purdy is doing and the throws/decisions he makes just continue to elevate. It must feel quite liberating because we all know its incredibly hard to find a franchise qb.

I'm sure he is. First time since he had Matt Ryan the offense is doing all that it is capable of.

I think the issue is not so much that Kyle wants it safe. Its just that he hasnt had a QB that is capable and/or willing to make that type of play for the better part of a decade. So he has grown accustomed to watching his QB take the checkdown over the explosive play.

I agree with everyone that it was one hell of a throw to Aiyuk. But if I am being honest, this is the type of throw I expect from an upper echelon QB. I think as much as Kyle likes/loves Brock, he still needs to see Brock making plays like that on a regular basis to truly believe the checkdown for 10 yards isnt THE correct play.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

I think the issue is not so much that Kyle wants it safe. Its just that he hasnt had a QB that is capable and/or willing to make that type of play for the better part of a decade. So he has grown accustomed to watching his QB take the checkdown over the explosive play.

I agree with everyone that it was one hell of a throw to Aiyuk. But if I am being honest, this is the type of throw I expect from an upper echelon QB. I think as much as Kyle likes/loves Brock, he still needs to see Brock making plays like that on a regular basis to truly believe the checkdown for 10 yards isnt THE correct play.

I imagine that if Kyle had a QB with an arm like Allen or Mahomes and a receiver like Hill he would have a few fly pattern plays in his playbook. He's well aware of the capabilities of his players. They run deeper patterns now than they did with JG. He uses CMC all over the place just like he does with Deebo.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

Kyle didn't say it was the correct play, he said usually. When the Secondary covers deep, you usually take the check down. if they don't go deep, then you go over the top.

Sec went deep and Purdy went deep.. equals the "hold breath" comment. He says this if anyone wants to listen to the full presser
Share 49ersWebzone