• Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Some people don't realize that's Charlie Woerner at the checkdown. Wideopen for a 1st down for sure but thinking it's a TD, they just don't know how slow Woerner is.

From jonnydel and JTO's breakdown of this play, we now know Aiyuk adjusted his route to Brock throwing him open, all within a nano second. Good s**t between Brock and Aiyuk
Nah, Brock was like Eff Kyle, BA I'm throwing you the ball for a touchdown. None of this playing it safe BS that Kyle wants.

This
not this lol

in no way was he going against Kyle

It's not "against Kyle." Kyle put the damn play in himself lol. But Kyle literally said he couldn't believe he threw it and that he "held his breath." Said that the right read was the checkdown for 12 yards (which by every film analysis I've seen, is correct). But Purdy had the guts and the ability to knife that throw in there; it's what makes him special. Of course Kyle is happy about it, it was a great result, but it is absolutely not what Kyle would have chosen to do (if he himself were the QB on the field).
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I'm not sure I've ever seen a winning team where the HC and QB don't get along or aren't on the same page. Pretty hard to win when they aren't.

It's a symbiosis. The best QB's make the best HC better and vice versa.

And the way that works best is when each is pushed out of their comfort zone, at least a little bit. If you have a conservative HC and conservative QB, you get a stagnant offense. If you have an aggressive HC and aggressive QB, you get a crap ton of turnovers. Balance is crucial.

Some people don't realize that's Charlie Woerner at the checkdown. Wideopen for a 1st down for sure but thinking it's a TD, they just don't know how slow Woerner is.

From jonnydel and JTO's breakdown of this play, we now know Aiyuk adjusted his route to Brock throwing him open, all within a nano second. Good s**t between Brock and Aiyuk
Nah, Brock was like Eff Kyle, BA I'm throwing you the ball for a touchdown. None of this playing it safe BS that Kyle wants.

This
not this lol

It's not "against Kyle." Kyle put the damn play in himself lol. But Kyle literally said he couldn't believe he threw it and that he "held his breath." Said that the right read was the checkdown for 12 yards (which by every film analysis I've seen, is correct). But Purdy had the guts and the ability to knife that throw in there; it's what makes him special. Of course Kyle is happy about it, it was a great result, but it is absolutely not what Kyle would have chosen to do (if he himself were the QB on the field).

He had his chance, NFCCG
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

I think the issue is not so much that Kyle wants it safe. Its just that he hasnt had a QB that is capable and/or willing to make that type of play for the better part of a decade. So he has grown accustomed to watching his QB take the checkdown over the explosive play.

I agree with everyone that it was one hell of a throw to Aiyuk. But if I am being honest, this is the type of throw I expect from an upper echelon QB. I think as much as Kyle likes/loves Brock, he still needs to see Brock making plays like that on a regular basis to truly believe the checkdown for 10 yards isnt THE correct play.
Kyle didn't say it was the correct play, he said usually. When the Secondary covers deep, you usually take the check down. if they don't go deep, then you go over the top.

Sec went deep and Purdy went deep.. equals the "hold breath" comment. He says this if anyone wants to listen to the full presser

Thats fair. But he did say Purdy "proved it was the right decision" which you can interpret as believing it was the wrong decision until proven otherwise.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

This
not this lol

He had his chance, NFCCG

Would have paid good money to see that lol.
And the way that works best is when each is pushed out of their comfort zone, at least a little bit. If you have a conservative HC and conservative QB, you get a stagnant offense. If you have an aggressive HC and aggressive QB, you get a crap ton of turnovers. Balance is crucial.

Kyle wasn't conservative with Ryan. The QB has to show he deserves the faith.

This
not this lol

you don't know what Kyle thinks or would do, just stop projecting

his presser said usually you check down, usually doesn't mean you check down everytime.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

I think the issue is not so much that Kyle wants it safe. Its just that he hasnt had a QB that is capable and/or willing to make that type of play for the better part of a decade. So he has grown accustomed to watching his QB take the checkdown over the explosive play.

I agree with everyone that it was one hell of a throw to Aiyuk. But if I am being honest, this is the type of throw I expect from an upper echelon QB. I think as much as Kyle likes/loves Brock, he still needs to see Brock making plays like that on a regular basis to truly believe the checkdown for 10 yards isnt THE correct play.
Kyle didn't say it was the correct play, he said usually. When the Secondary covers deep, you usually take the check down. if they don't go deep, then you go over the top.

Sec went deep and Purdy went deep.. equals the "hold breath" comment. He says this if anyone wants to listen to the full presser

Thats fair. But he did say Purdy "proved it was the right decision" which you can interpret as believing it was the wrong decision until proven otherwise.

Exactly this. As you stated, if/when Purdy continues to make decisions like that (that Kyle himself doesn't see or agree with) and is successful, Kyle will relent. You have already seen this happen over the course of games that Purdy has started. Last year against Washington, we were up 30-20 on their 11 yard line with about 3 minutes left. 4th and 3. Any betting man would have guessed that Kyle would kick that field goal, go up 13, and let the defense win it. But he went for it, and called a pass play. Purdy to Kittle for 10 yards, 1st down. Scored a TD (on the next play I think) and put the game away completely. That play right there is where I was sold on Purdy, because I knew that KYLE was sold on Purdy.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

This
not this lol

his presser said usually you check down, usually doesn't mean you check down everytime.

You don't know either, so why are you projecting? Lol. Dude stop with these weak ass arguments that can easily be turned around on you.

Usually means "correct" in the coach's mind.

being in the pocket and being on the sidelines have different viewing angles.

I don't think there is a right or wrong here. Kyle just said what usually happens when defenses cover

This
not this lol

He had his chance, NFCCG

Faithful be like...

• thl408
Brock seems to make Kyle say, 'no!...yes!" once a game. Playmaker.

This
not this lol

You don't know either, so why are you projecting? Lol. Dude stop with these weak ass arguments that can easily be turned around on you.

i'm not saying i know what he thinks and I, calling you out on it doesn't project anything. it's just calling you out on your BS

usually doesn't mean correct in any language or mind lol
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

This
not this lol

i'm not saying i know what he thinks and I, calling you out on it doesn't project anything. it's just calling you out on your BS

usually doesn't mean correct in any language or mind lol

I thought you were following along with this conversation, my bad. "Usually" means "correct" in reference to the right read on a play.

And you are absolutely saying what he thinks, or what your opinion is. That's what we're all giving here, our opinion. Hell Kyle himself only has an "opinion" of what the "right" read is on a play. Especially if he think the right read is a checkdown, and Purdy ends up throwing a TD to a different player. What the two of them are forming together is normal and healthy for a coach and playcaller. Not sure why some of you have this desire to make it seem like they're playing Madden; this is actual real life football lol.
Originally posted by Waterbear:

This
not this lol

He had his chance, NFCCG

Faithful be like...

this dude is clearly holding us back
Share 49ersWebzone