There are 202 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
There is no right or wrong IF the result is positive. Just imagine that Purdy threw an INT on that pass to Aiyuk; do you think Kyle would say it was the "correct" read? Hell no. Kyle was very clear if you just listen and don't have a bias - the right read (for our conservative coach) was the checkdown because it was wide open, we had the lead, it would have moved the chains, it was safe.

Kyle is a conservative minded head coach, weird that you and a few others keep trying to make it sound like he wants to air it out down the field like the 90's Oilers.

Not being Mike Martz doesn't make him conservative. He does want to push the ball down the field in the pass game. What he doesn't want to do is have his QB throw down the field into coverage. I guarantee in film study when he sees what Brock sees instead of just quickly watching from the sideline he will be happy with the decision.

Just like in 2016, if you give him a QB he can trust he will tell him to let it rip.

Kyle's offenses are routinely in the top 5 in rush attempts per game/season. Even in 2016 with the Falcons (Ryan MVP) they were 12th. He wants to run the ball and play defense. That is the definition of "conservative" in football terms. How is this even a debate?

Again, He's happy with the decision because it worked. It's not what's in his "blood" as a coach. It just isn't and never will be. Luckily for us we have the perfect complement for Kyle, a QB with a gunslinger mentality. They are a perfect pair.

Edit: In 2016, the Falcons were 26th in pass attempts. Not exactly "letting it rip" lol.

I had to look up the run/pass balance. Currently it's 336 to 309 with more runs than passes. That's pretty even in the run pass balance mixture. Tough to key on Kyle's run or pass tendencies with that kind of statistics.

Personally, one reason Kyle is so conservative is I think to preserve the health and stamina of his defense. Keep the offense on the field and rest the defense for the all important fourth quarter when the defense has to pass rush and shut the game down for the 49ers because they are usually ahead by the 3rd QTR.
Originally posted by Giedi:
There is no right or wrong IF the result is positive. Just imagine that Purdy threw an INT on that pass to Aiyuk; do you think Kyle would say it was the "correct" read? Hell no. Kyle was very clear if you just listen and don't have a bias - the right read (for our conservative coach) was the checkdown because it was wide open, we had the lead, it would have moved the chains, it was safe.

Kyle is a conservative minded head coach, weird that you and a few others keep trying to make it sound like he wants to air it out down the field like the 90's Oilers.

Not being Mike Martz doesn't make him conservative. He does want to push the ball down the field in the pass game. What he doesn't want to do is have his QB throw down the field into coverage. I guarantee in film study when he sees what Brock sees instead of just quickly watching from the sideline he will be happy with the decision.

Just like in 2016, if you give him a QB he can trust he will tell him to let it rip.

Kyle's offenses are routinely in the top 5 in rush attempts per game/season. Even in 2016 with the Falcons (Ryan MVP) they were 12th. He wants to run the ball and play defense. That is the definition of "conservative" in football terms. How is this even a debate?

Again, He's happy with the decision because it worked. It's not what's in his "blood" as a coach. It just isn't and never will be. Luckily for us we have the perfect complement for Kyle, a QB with a gunslinger mentality. They are a perfect pair.

Edit: In 2016, the Falcons were 26th in pass attempts. Not exactly "letting it rip" lol.

I had to look up the run/pass balance. Currently it's 336 to 309 with more runs than passes. That's pretty even in the run pass balance mixture. Tough to key on Kyle's run or pass tendencies with that kind of statistics.

Personally, one reason Kyle is so conservative is I think to preserve the health and stamina of his defense. Keep the offense on the field and rest the defense for the all important fourth quarter when the defense has to pass rush and shut the game down for the 49ers because they are usually ahead by the 3rd QTR.

Good stats, one thing.. if you are even run / pass, then you are heavy on the run. Most teams are passing more than running. Ranks are informative.

For instance, we rank 32nd in pass attempts

6th in rush attempts

so in that perspective, we are extreme run heavy, vs pass
that's the Kyle way

IIRC, Kyle said he didn't see the opening until the ball was in the air. He had been focused on the under route. From the sideline angle, that was clearly open. From the endzone, you could see the deep middle possibility. Neither is right or wrong. It is just two different angles on the same play.

Purdy certainly saw the under route being open but that is not his mindset.
Originally posted by dj43:

IIRC, Kyle said he didn't see the opening until the ball was in the air. He had been focused on the under route. From the sideline angle, that was clearly open. From the endzone, you could see the deep middle possibility. Neither is right or wrong. It is just two different angles on the same play.

Purdy certainly saw the under route being open but that is not his mindset.

amen and thank goodness, mentality should be touchdown to checkdown
lest you be leaving stuff on the table

I don't think calling him conservative is accurate, or fair. I believe your point about owning the ball and killing the clock is his goal.

I love the way Purdy brings the team down the field with chunk plays. It is exciting to watch. However, when it only takes 4-5 minutes to score, the defense is back on the field again with little time to rest. That catches up with you in the 4th, as you say.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Good stats, one thing.. if you are even run / pass, then you are heavy on the run. Most teams are passing more than running. Ranks are informative.

6th in rush attempts

that's the Kyle way

Agree, this is still a run heavy team - relatively speaking compared to the rest of the NFL. Miami is 15th in rushing attempts 2nd in run yardage, so in a sense, it's the Kyle Shanahan offense. Both Miami and 49ers still want those explosive plays, and go about it similarly (heavy run game, explosive passing game), whereas most of the rest of the NFL doesn't follow that and try to get it by other means (passing more etc.) To me that's very air coryell-ish. Strong run game and explosive long ball passing, it's just that with the addition of the outside zone run, you don't have to have that strong arm to get those explosive passing. You can get good YAC players and get basically the same result as an air Coryell offense.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I don't think calling him conservative is accurate, or fair. I believe your point about owning the ball and killing the clock is his goal.

I love the way Purdy brings the team down the field with chunk plays. It is exciting to watch. However, when it only takes 4-5 minutes to score, the defense is back on the field again with little time to rest. That catches up with you in the 4th, as you say.

Well if you have an explosive offense like the 49ers, it tends to make the other team one dimensional. Much easier to defend if all the other offense can do is pass because they are behind. As a defense, if you are playing ahead, you are looking for turnovers - and I think it's mentally easier to play defense in a sense versus playing from behind. I've always believed Kyle's basic philosophy is play Keep away on offense, and take away on defense.

Bingo. That's as conservative as you'll get in today's passing league.

I remember so many thinking we'd become this pass centric team once we got rid of Jimmy. Haha.

Nope.

Well if you have an explosive offense like the 49ers, it tends to make the other team one dimensional. Much easier to defend if all the other offense can do is pass because they are behind. As a defense, if you are playing ahead, you are looking for turnovers - and I think it's mentally easier to play defense in a sense versus playing from behind. I've always believed Kyle's basic philosophy is play Keep away on offense, and take away on defense.

Agree.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

pass atts vs run atts doesn't show how the offenses worked or philosophy.

Ryan didn't win MVP on being carried by Run

12th in rushing attempts and 26th in passing attempts "doesn't show an offense's philosophy?" You can't be serious right now. We're talking about Kyle. Focus.

• Furlow
  • Veteran

No it's not tough at all. You can't just look at the numbers compared to each other and claim "balance." The NFL for a long time has been shifting to more pass oriented; so you have to look at the numbers relative to other teams. Currently the Niners are dead last in passing attempts. Stressing the word LAST. The are 6th in rushing attempts. As in SIXTH. Sixth in rushing, last in passing.

Yet some want to continue with this insane narrative that Kyle is an aggressive coach who wants his QB's to launch the ball down the field. Nothing (in terms of his philosophy) has changed from Matt Ryan (with prime Julio Jones) to Jimmy, to now Purdy. The difference is Purdy (and Ryan) is willing to push the comfort zone and take calculated chances for chunk plays. Kyle NEEDS a QB like Purdy (and Ryan) to do that.

12th in rushing attempts and 26th in passing attempts "doesn't show an offense's philosophy?" You can't be serious right now. We're talking about Kyle. Focus.

Passing attempts is a bit misleading. Dropbacks is a better stat to use for pass/run split.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

6th in rush attempts

that's the Kyle way

Agree, this is still a run heavy team - relatively speaking compared to the rest of the NFL. Miami is 15th in rushing attempts 2nd in run yardage, so in a sense, it's the Kyle Shanahan offense. Both Miami and 49ers still want those explosive plays, and go about it similarly (heavy run game, explosive passing game), whereas most of the rest of the NFL doesn't follow that and try to get it by other means (passing more etc.) To me that's very air coryell-ish. Strong run game and explosive long ball passing, it's just that with the addition of the outside zone run, you don't have to have that strong arm to get those explosive passing. You can get good YAC players and get basically the same result as an air Coryell offense.

Chargers rankings in pass attempts per season under Coryell:

5th
2nd
2nd
2nd
2nd
1st
1st
2nd

There is no similarity to what Kyle is doing.

you need to focus, and stop pretending that the atts tell the philosophy or anything you are trying to say.

you have to factor a lot of other things. Blowouts, efficiency , TOP. Etc

We're not a one dimensional team and the results prove that
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Passing attempts is a bit misleading. Dropbacks is a better stat to use for pass/run split.

That's only differentiating for sacks, right? Teams that pass more get sacked more (generally) so that would skew the rankings even more. Either way it wouldn't affect the rankings much; we can absolutely determine what a play caller's philosophy is based on run/pass split rankings.
Share 49ersWebzone