There are 206 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
Kyle's choice in QB coaches leaves something to be desired. Let's hope Griese can do something good.

QB coach, or maybe just scouting and acquiring viable QB talent…

This is the crux of the whole situation.

He didn't scout Mahomes and Watson because he assumed he'd get Kirk Cousin - strike 1

He didn't pursue Brady when available because he wanted to ride with Jimmy after hiding him in the playoffs - strike 2

He was in on Stafford until the Rams swooped in - strike 3

Trades a haul for the third pick, which they admit to liking "all 5 guys" - this one remains TBD

My point is, he doesn't have a good track record. I contend we'd have a championship right now if any of the top three went the other way.

So going forward, I don't believe Shanahan has proven he can scout and acquire a top FQB unless Lance becomes that. So we should give him runway first Lance to develop, but it that situation goes south, he shouldnt get another shot.
[ Edited by NinerBuff on Sep 29, 2022 at 6:33 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Kyle's choice in QB coaches leaves something to be desired. Let's hope Griese can do something good.

QB coach, or maybe just scouting and acquiring viable QB talent…

This is the crux of the whole situation.

He didn't scout Mahomes and Watson because he assumed he'd get Kirk Cousin - strike 1

He didn't pursue Brady when available because he wanted to ride with Jimmy after hiding him in the playoffs - strike 2

He was in on Stafford until the Rams swooped in - strike 3

Trades a haul for the third pick, which they admit to liking "all 5 guys" - this one remains TBD

My point is, he doesn't have a good track record. I contend we'd have a championship right now if any of the top three went the other way.

So going forward, I don't believe Shanahan has proven he can scout and acquire a top FQB unless Lance becomes that. So we should give him runway first Lance to develop, but it that situation goes south, he shouldnt get another shot.

Let's stay w/Griese for the moment... just another puppet in the house..

how can this so called QB coach NOT convinced SORRY KYLE that going with Grappy who was not allowed to practice and join the team should be the choice... Did both geniuses assumed that Grappy being the veteran that he is will just be READY TO GO ???
Originally posted by 9moon:

how can this so called QB coach NOT convinced SORRY KYLE that going with Grappy who was not allowed to practice and join the team should be the choice... Did both geniuses assumed that Grappy being the veteran that he is will just be READY TO GO ???

Shanahan's biggest resume item is his ability to grow a coaching tree. So Griese isn't my concern. Jimmy being prepared vs not doesn't appear to matter much. He knows the offense and routinely makes the same mistakes.

Shanahan's biggest resume item is his ability to grow a coaching tree. So Griese isn't my concern. Jimmy being prepared vs not doesn't appear to matter much. He knows the offense and routinely makes the same mistakes.

IT's been repeatedly said ALL OVER THE FORUM by the Shananigans that Grappy is the weak link of the team and he is the reason why we are who we are.. and that's Grappy w/a great off season, OTA, pre season and being healthy...

And you're saying that you expect him to not make mistakes (be in sync) w/the offense w/o the off season work out and all?

I'm a little lost... if he sucks even w/all the off season workout, then how do you expect him to be AVERAGE w/o the same off season workout and all?

IT's been repeatedly said ALL OVER THE FORUM by the Shananigans that Grappy is the weak link of the team and he is the reason why we are who we are.. and that's Grappy w/a great off season, OTA, pre season and being healthy...

And you're saying that you expect him to not make mistakes (be in sync) w/the offense w/o the off season work out and all?

I'm a little lost... if he sucks even w/all the off season workout, then how do you expect him to be AVERAGE w/o the same off season workout and all?

Didn't quite follow, but what I'm saying is Jimmy is a vet, his play doesn't appear to be better or worse with increased practice time, as he knows the offense.

Jimmy is a limited QB. Shanahan is a great play designer and poor play caller.

Here we are.

So what you are saying they should have started a rookie over a veteran who has been in the system for 4+ years? That makes no sense. Rather you like it or not Jimmy gives the 49ers the best chance to win. Yes he looks like dog poop sometimes but at the end of the day he wins more games then he loses.

Didn't quite follow, but what I'm saying is Jimmy is a vet, his play doesn't appear to be better or worse with increased practice time, as he knows the offense.

Jimmy is a limited QB. Shanahan is a great play designer and poor play caller.

Here we are.

my opinion is that KS is a good OC, may be ABOVE average... but he's NOT a HC..

He rides on the same boat as:

Norv Turner
June Jones
Mike Martz

.. just naming a few..
Originally posted by miked1978:
So what you are saying they should have started a rookie over a veteran who has been in the system for 4+ years? That makes no sense. Rather you like it or not Jimmy gives the 49ers the best chance to win. Yes he looks like dog poop sometimes but at the end of the day he wins more games then he loses.

The last sentence is not longer true. Over the last season and change, he's essentially 0.500. His numbers were out of whack because he started 7-0 and then had a 13-3 season. Now that we've seen more from him, he's more of a 0.500 level QB.

WHERE did you I post that PURDY should have started ??

by the 3rd QTR (if you saw the game), it's obvious that Grappy was struggling and there was no sync whatsoever w/the offense... I mean, damn, may be, just maybe, Griese should have used his intelligence as a commentator and his title as a QB coach to tell Kyle that Grappy should be taken out..

NO??
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
People wanted Mullens over Jimmy on here as well.

Mullens was good in 2018 before he had that stupid Shane Day as QB coach in 2020.

It's not like he hasn't had enough opportunities to find his QB ( six off-seasons ) Lance could be that guy. Unfortunately, we won't know this for sure until at least 2023, maybe 2024 considering how raw and Inexperienced he still Is.

Originally posted by Sickaa:

Mullens was good in 2018 before he had that stupid Shane Day as QB coach in 2020.

It's not like he hasn't had enough opportunities to find his QB ( six off-seasons ) Lance could be that guy. Unfortunately, we won't know this for sure until at least 2023, maybe 2024 considering how raw and Inexperienced he still Is.

Lance was the highest risk/highest reward guy. With the injury, the risk factor has gone up.

The window to win is open now. With the injury rate in pro football being what it is, there is no guarantee this high-level roster will still be intact when Lance reaches the experience level that will allow him to be a positive contributing factor. With the capital expended on this guy, he MUST be much more than a high-level game manager.

but back to Purdy.

WHERE did you I post that PURDY should have started ??

by the 3rd QTR (if you saw the game), it's obvious that Grappy was struggling and there was no sync whatsoever w/the offense... I mean, damn, may be, just maybe, Griese should have used his intelligence as a commentator and his title as a QB coach to tell Kyle that Grappy should be taken out..

NO??

I don't agree that Purdy is the better solution at this point.

That having been said, how ironic would it be if Purdy were to come in and be the guy?

From PS, I liked Purdy's command and presence. He showed the value of all the PT he had in college.
Purdy is a 4-year starter and he threw 1467 passes at Iowa State.

He is Mr. Irrelevant because he lacks the phsysical that NFL teams want but I don´t think he is as raw as some of you guys think.
Purdy is a 4-year starter and he threw 1467 passes at Iowa State.

He is Mr. Irrelevant because he lacks the phsysical that NFL teams want but I don´t think he is as raw as some of you guys think.
since jimmy is acting like a b right now... i'm for Brock ASAP !!
Originally posted by Sickaa:

Lance was the highest risk/highest reward guy. With the injury, the risk factor has gone up.

The window to win is open now. With the injury rate in pro football being what it is, there is no guarantee this high-level roster will still be intact when Lance reaches the experience level that will allow him to be a positive contributing factor. With the capital expended on this guy, he MUST be much more than a high-level game manager.

but back to Purdy.

Interestingly enough, I think Lance can be a guy in a full season that can make a few big throws here and there and hopefully not do anything to hurt the team in a major way (negative plays). That's all I need and expect from him in 2023. 2024, I'd like to see him carrying the team a bit more and being the reason we are winning. The sample size is too small to objectively evaluate, but I like some things I have seen.

As for Purdy, I like that he does have so much experience and am hopeful that he can be a longterm backup for the team.
Share 49ersWebzone