LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 234 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Seriously though he just wants to lap the other team, and if that's not possible, prevent them from getting a chance. Prevent them from scoring last before the half by any means necessary.

I honestly was talking about the entire offense in general, not just end of half situations. I have no real issue with our pace provided our defense is playing great.

We have a dominant offense. Nearly every team is going to try to play keep away. If D is playing great, they can't do it obviously.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
I think you can make an argument that Kyle is aggressive in clock management, but you have to think outside the box. He aggressively tries to wind the clock down, thus limiting the number of offensive plays we get, while also still trying to score. If he just ran out the clock and went to the locker room, I'd consider that conservative. Instead, he tries to both wind down the clock and score, so it's kind of aggressive in its own right, or at least one could make the argument.

Lol. Elevated thinking.

polite way of saying BS
i'll start using that from now on
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Only in the WZ can a team be dead last in passing attempts be spun into some wide open pass centric offense.

As to what happens inside those numbers is a different topic.

The real reason this has triggered a few is because they used to argue having a different QB, we'd become pass centric. I know because we used to predict the run/pass ratios annually. It showed who quickly didn't understand who Kyle was as a HC.

No one ever argued they'd be pass centric. It was argued they'd be more aggressive. What do you know that's exactly what happened.
Idk why posters need to add and spin to the extremes when caught

we're averaging 1.8 more carries a game more than pass attempts

balance is the philosophy
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

It's definitely our philosophy, and it's been successful.

I think I saw a chart a week or two ago that showed we were facing the most stacked boxes (it might have been in specific situation), and our pass game concepts are directly tied to the run.
Only in the WZ can a team be dead last in passing attempts be spun into some wide open pass centric offense.

The real reason this has triggered a few is because they used to argue having a different QB, we'd become pass centric. I know because we used to predict the run/pass ratios annually. It showed who quickly didn't understand who Kyle was as a HC.

No one ever argued they'd be pass centric. It was argued they'd be more aggressive. What do you know that's exactly what happened.

more elevated thinking I see, Mr Att
One thing for sure…Brock is going to have one helluva lot better game this time than last. It will be fascinating to see how he plays against the supposedly "best" team out there. I think he looks just like he did the last 3 games and takes a W home with him. I do wish it weren't in Philly tho.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

more elevated thinking I see, Mr Att
I bring the the good stuff all the time, but you guys post whore it till it's lost

Yeah I didn't think we'd be "pass-centric" with a new QB. LOL two years ago we thought we'd move on from Jimmy to Trey. Was that going to be "pass-centric?" lol no. It was going to be RUN-centric, with QB runs, except the passing game would expand vertically.

Two years later we have a better QB, and our passing game has indeed expanded vertically, and we're still run-centric. In other words, our passing game is MORE AGGRESSIVE. It takes more risks, and thus by definition is more aggressive.
Yeah I didn't think we'd be "pass-centric" with a new QB. LOL two years ago we thought we'd move on from Jimmy to Trey. Was that going to be "pass-centric?" lol no. It was going to be RUN-centric, with QB runs, except the passing game would expand vertically.

Two years later we have a better QB, and our passing game has indeed expanded vertically, and we're still run-centric. In other words, our passing game is MORE AGGRESSIVE. It takes more risks, and thus by definition is more aggressive.

Jimmy just wasn't a good enough QB to take full advantage of the opportunities afforded by the scheme and players around him. It's not a secret. It was on da philm.
Brock has averaged 3.02 YPA above his opponents average allowed. Only the CLE game was he below. 5 games he has been +4.2 or better. Twice he has been above 6.

I think you can make an argument that Kyle is aggressive in clock management, but you have to think outside the box. He aggressively tries to wind the clock down, thus limiting the number of offensive plays we get, while also still trying to score. If he just ran out the clock and went to the locker room, I'd consider that conservative. Instead, he tries to both wind down the clock and score, so it's kind of aggressive in its own right, or at least one could make the argument.

Lol. Elevated thinking.

polite way of saying BS

I mean, it's kind of what he does. He'll start a two minute drive by running some time off the clock, and then invariably at some point have a shot play in there to get twenty, twenty-five yards. So is that aggressive or conservative? He runs out the clock, that's conservative, but he has his guy throw twenty yards down the field, and that's aggressive. So which is it?

Lol. Elevated thinking.

polite way of saying BS

I mean, it's kind of what he does. He'll start a two minute drive by running some time off the clock, and then invariably at some point have a shot play in there to get twenty, twenty-five yards. So is that aggressive or conservative? He runs out the clock, that's conservative, but he has his guy throw twenty yards down the field, and that's aggressive. So which is it?

I think we can agree he's aggressively conservative
In contrast, Jalen Hurts has averaged 1.14 YPA above his opponents average. Only the NE game was he below average. Only once above 3 and only twice above 2.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Nov 28, 2023 at 6:04 PM ]

Lol. Elevated thinking.

polite way of saying BS

I think we can agree he's aggressively conservative

Nooo, you're wrong!!! He's conservatively aggressive.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Oh and:

Q. Reaction to Brock's touchdown pass, a little fist pump. What was your emotion watching that throw?

KYLE SHANAHAN: I couldn't believe he was throwing it. The zone coverages, guys were so deep, which usually you can check it down right underneath them, get about 12 (yards). Brock thought he could drop it over the guy. A clear view for all of us. It was just a hell of a throw. Perfect touch. Got (it) over, I think it was Diggs. It was a big play that sealed it.

Q. Guts to make that throw? What does it take?

KYLE SHANAHAN: He does that pretty consistently. He's always, always trying to get that one in. Very rarely does he check it down and you tell him he missed the deep one. He looks at it that way. Actually he proved to us while the ball was in the air it was the right decision.

Q. Did you think it was the wrong decision when he let it go?

KYLE SHANAHAN: Yeah, we're all holding our breath as soon as he lets it go. The guy was so deep. Brock has some touch, was able to throw it over him. We took the safety out of there with a route. Knew if he could get (the ball) over him, there's no one else left. He made the throw. I wouldn't have known it until he threw it. Once he threw it, it was obviously there.

tl,dr: KS thought it was the wrong decision (should've taken the check down) and knew immediately (when the ball was in the air) that he was wrong to think Purdy was wrong.

@49ATT

Share 49ersWebzone