Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
There is no right or wrong IF the result is positive. Just imagine that Purdy threw an INT on that pass to Aiyuk; do you think Kyle would say it was the "correct" read? Hell no. Kyle was very clear if you just listen and don't have a bias - the right read (for our conservative coach) was the checkdown because it was wide open, we had the lead, it would have moved the chains, it was safe.

Kyle is a conservative minded head coach, weird that you and a few others keep trying to make it sound like he wants to air it out down the field like the 90's Oilers.

Not being Mike Martz doesn't make him conservative. He does want to push the ball down the field in the pass game. What he doesn't want to do is have his QB throw down the field into coverage. I guarantee in film study when he sees what Brock sees instead of just quickly watching from the sideline he will be happy with the decision.

Just like in 2016, if you give him a QB he can trust he will tell him to let it rip.

Kyle's offenses are routinely in the top 5 in rush attempts per game/season. Even in 2016 with the Falcons (Ryan MVP) they were 12th. He wants to run the ball and play defense. That is the definition of "conservative" in football terms. How is this even a debate?

Again, He's happy with the decision because it worked. It's not what's in his "blood" as a coach. It just isn't and never will be. Luckily for us we have the perfect complement for Kyle, a QB with a gunslinger mentality. They are a perfect pair.

Edit: In 2016, the Falcons were 26th in pass attempts. Not exactly "letting it rip" lol.

Bingo. That's as conservative as you'll get in today's passing league.

I remember so many thinking we'd become this pass centric team once we got rid of Jimmy. Haha.

Nope.

Yeah no. Matt Ryan in 2016 had exactly THREE NFL QBs attempt more deep passes than him. Just because it's run heavy doesn't mean it's conservative. The runs set up deep passes. As shown in my previous post, which is what the Falcons did in 2016, and it's what we've done this year, and did with Trey, and did more with Nick, Brian and CJ, but didn't do nearly as much with Jimmy. Due to Jimmy.

And? Nobody is saying you can't be hyper efficient (like Brock) within the lowest passing attempts in a passing league. Which by virtue is a conservative offense.

We have the fewest passing attempts because the score of our games averages out to a just under a two touchdown win. In 2017, when we were losing a lot, we had the 2nd most pass attempts.

See post #36021. Overall as an OC and HC, Kyle has a losing record. So the theory that he's blowing everyone out and that's why he runs so much is false. In 2014 the Browns were 7-9. They ranked 6th in rushing attempts and 26th in passing attempts. In 2018 the Niners were 4-12. They ranked 11th in rushing attempts and 20th in passing attempts. So despite all of that losing, he was still committed to running the ball. Yes, OF COURSE when teams are losing they are going to throw more than run. Hell that's true even when teams are winning, as most teams pass the ball more than they run (even good teams). Very few teams/coaches are as skewed towards the run as Kyle is. I'm stressing the word skewed and emphasizing RELATIVE TO the rest of the league.

Kyle wants to run the football and is as committed to it as any coach in the league. Only Harbaugh in Baltimore is even close and they have Lamar who is an elite running QB. Again, this is not a knock on Kyle.

Are you really going to bring his record as an OC into this? Thats crazy. Kyle has a career record of 66-52 including playoffs where he is 6-3.

Well I was being told by multiple posters that play calling is not dictated by offensive philosophy, only by the score of the game. So yes his record (and scores of those games) is relevant if THAT is the point. Although the argument keeps changing so it might be time for me to check out for a bit.

That's false. What was told to you was that the score has a major influence. Nevertheless, aggressiveness is about whether or not the passes are deep, not run-pass balance. The 1982 49ers led the NFL in pass attempts. The 1999 Rams were 19th. To claim that the 1982 49ers were more aggressive is so astoundingly stupid it's actually insulting.

So let's settle that one question now: which was the more aggressive offense, the 1982 49ers, who lead the NFL in pass attempts—but ran a slow, BALL CONTROL offense, or the 1999 Rams, who are considered among the most aggressive offenses in NFL history who ran an offense that constantly pushed the ball down the field when they threw?

Pretty simple question. Will he answer it?

Probably one of the worst examples I've ever seen on the zone. The Niners in the early 80's with Walsh were completely reinventing the way the game was played. Relative to other teams in 1982, they were absolutely very aggressive. To compare them to a team 17 years in the future is so astoundingly stupid it's actually insulting.

No, they weren't. The narrative EVEN THEN was "the 49ers short passes are long handoffs." The aggressive teams were the Chargers, the Dolphins, etc.

Montana was 9th in the NFL in YPA in his first season as the starter. 8th in attempts and yards. And yes, they absolutely were reinventing the game. It's well documented that Walsh and the WCO were doing things no team had ever done. Thank you for at least backing off the comparison to a team two decades later.

YPA is not a measurement of passing aggression. It's a measurement of YARDS AFTER CATCH or passing aggression or a combination of both. It's impossible to know without knowing air yards, which you mock because it's been consistently inconvenient for your Jimmy love.

Reinventing the game is not the same as being aggressive. In fact, the way they reinvented the game is by utilizing SHORT passes (e.g., SAFE, CONSISTENT, LOW RISK) to replace the run game.

Oh I see, y'all think this is about Jimmy. Now I understand why you're so triggered. Geezus man, let it go. We're talking about Kyle's offensive philosophy. He's had MANY more QB's than just Jimmy and Purdy.
it's not about jimmy but you do hate Kyle and you do this every chance you get.

Kyle's philosophy has been pretty balanced and now that passing is more efficient the offense is now stronger than it has been in the 49ers era in a long long time

No I don't hate Kyle. Stop projecting.
lol remember the way you projected hater towards anyone who criticized Alex and jimmy

the same can be said towards you.. but hey thats your own beef with Kyle
I don't care what you call it when Brock is throwing it.
Oh I see, y'all think this is about Jimmy. Now I understand why you're so triggered. Geezus man, let it go. We're talking about Kyle's offensive philosophy. He's had MANY more QB's than just Jimmy and Purdy.

The offensive philosophy that had Nick Mullens with the 2nd most passing yards ever after 16 starts
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Floater, rainbow, blooper.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

I call it Touchdown!
The offensive philosophy that had Nick Mullens with the 2nd most passing yards ever after 16 starts

His stats are nowhere near Purdy. Try again. Completion percentage, rating, touchdown to interception ratio. Just nowhere near. Not even in the same ballpark. You are also piecing together 2 different years which were years apart. 8 games and 8 games. You can't do that. It makes no sense. It's not 1 continuous season.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 28, 2023 at 9:12 PM ]
Showers are expected Sunday, Brock prepare for that please.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
His stats are nowhere near Purdy. Try again. Completion percentage, rating, touchdown to interception ratio. Just nowhere near. Not even in the same ballpark. You are also piecing together 2 different years which were years apart. 8 games and 8 games. You can't do that. It makes no sense. It's not 1 continuous season.

I never suggested they were. Just another example of how Kyle passing game has had big numbers before.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Nov 28, 2023 at 9:19 PM ]
I never suggested they were.

You should have rolled with it, lol.

Didn't have CMC, Aiyuk, or Trent for at least half those games (CMC for any). Mullens just didn't get the necessary support here.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Nov 28, 2023 at 9:16 PM ]
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Didn't have CMC, Aiyuk, or Trent for at least half those games (CMC for any). Mullens just didn't get the necessary support here.

He was too limited physically to do the requisite damage. He's what Brock's detractors think Brock is.

Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

He was too limited physically to do the requisite damage. He's what Brock's detractors think Brock is.

Brock is so much of a better thrower than that. He throws dimes. He's very accurate. Better processer too. Superior athlete running around as well. Mullens is nothing compared to him.
Brock is so much of a better thrower than that. He throws dimes. He's very accurate. Better processer too. Superior athlete running around as well. Mullens is nothing compared to him.

Basically what I just said.

Basically what I just said.

Yes I agree. Brock is real.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
There is no right or wrong IF the result is positive. Just imagine that Purdy threw an INT on that pass to Aiyuk; do you think Kyle would say it was the "correct" read? Hell no. Kyle was very clear if you just listen and don't have a bias - the right read (for our conservative coach) was the checkdown because it was wide open, we had the lead, it would have moved the chains, it was safe.

Kyle is a conservative minded head coach, weird that you and a few others keep trying to make it sound like he wants to air it out down the field like the 90's Oilers.

Not being Mike Martz doesn't make him conservative. He does want to push the ball down the field in the pass game. What he doesn't want to do is have his QB throw down the field into coverage. I guarantee in film study when he sees what Brock sees instead of just quickly watching from the sideline he will be happy with the decision.

Just like in 2016, if you give him a QB he can trust he will tell him to let it rip.

Kyle's offenses are routinely in the top 5 in rush attempts per game/season. Even in 2016 with the Falcons (Ryan MVP) they were 12th. He wants to run the ball and play defense. That is the definition of "conservative" in football terms. How is this even a debate?

Again, He's happy with the decision because it worked. It's not what's in his "blood" as a coach. It just isn't and never will be. Luckily for us we have the perfect complement for Kyle, a QB with a gunslinger mentality. They are a perfect pair.

Edit: In 2016, the Falcons were 26th in pass attempts. Not exactly "letting it rip" lol.

Bingo. That's as conservative as you'll get in today's passing league.

I remember so many thinking we'd become this pass centric team once we got rid of Jimmy. Haha.

Nope.

Yeah no. Matt Ryan in 2016 had exactly THREE NFL QBs attempt more deep passes than him. Just because it's run heavy doesn't mean it's conservative. The runs set up deep passes. As shown in my previous post, which is what the Falcons did in 2016, and it's what we've done this year, and did with Trey, and did more with Nick, Brian and CJ, but didn't do nearly as much with Jimmy. Due to Jimmy.

And? Nobody is saying you can't be hyper efficient (like Brock) within the lowest passing attempts in a passing league. Which by virtue is a conservative offense.

We have the fewest passing attempts because the score of our games averages out to a just under a two touchdown win. In 2017, when we were losing a lot, we had the 2nd most pass attempts.

See post #36021. Overall as an OC and HC, Kyle has a losing record. So the theory that he's blowing everyone out and that's why he runs so much is false. In 2014 the Browns were 7-9. They ranked 6th in rushing attempts and 26th in passing attempts. In 2018 the Niners were 4-12. They ranked 11th in rushing attempts and 20th in passing attempts. So despite all of that losing, he was still committed to running the ball. Yes, OF COURSE when teams are losing they are going to throw more than run. Hell that's true even when teams are winning, as most teams pass the ball more than they run (even good teams). Very few teams/coaches are as skewed towards the run as Kyle is. I'm stressing the word skewed and emphasizing RELATIVE TO the rest of the league.

Kyle wants to run the football and is as committed to it as any coach in the league. Only Harbaugh in Baltimore is even close and they have Lamar who is an elite running QB. Again, this is not a knock on Kyle.

Are you really going to bring his record as an OC into this? Thats crazy. Kyle has a career record of 66-52 including playoffs where he is 6-3.

Well I was being told by multiple posters that play calling is not dictated by offensive philosophy, only by the score of the game. So yes his record (and scores of those games) is relevant if THAT is the point. Although the argument keeps changing so it might be time for me to check out for a bit.

That's false. What was told to you was that the score has a major influence. Nevertheless, aggressiveness is about whether or not the passes are deep, not run-pass balance. The 1982 49ers led the NFL in pass attempts. The 1999 Rams were 19th. To claim that the 1982 49ers were more aggressive is so astoundingly stupid it's actually insulting.

So let's settle that one question now: which was the more aggressive offense, the 1982 49ers, who lead the NFL in pass attempts—but ran a slow, BALL CONTROL offense, or the 1999 Rams, who are considered among the most aggressive offenses in NFL history who ran an offense that constantly pushed the ball down the field when they threw?

Pretty simple question. Will he answer it?

Probably one of the worst examples I've ever seen on the zone. The Niners in the early 80's with Walsh were completely reinventing the way the game was played. Relative to other teams in 1982, they were absolutely very aggressive. To compare them to a team 17 years in the future is so astoundingly stupid it's actually insulting.

No, they weren't. The narrative EVEN THEN was "the 49ers short passes are long handoffs." The aggressive teams were the Chargers, the Dolphins, etc.

Montana was 9th in the NFL in YPA in his first season as the starter. 8th in attempts and yards. And yes, they absolutely were reinventing the game. It's well documented that Walsh and the WCO were doing things no team had ever done. Thank you for at least backing off the comparison to a team two decades later.

YPA is not a measurement of passing aggression. It's a measurement of YARDS AFTER CATCH or passing aggression or a combination of both. It's impossible to know without knowing air yards, which you mock because it's been consistently inconvenient for your Jimmy love.

Reinventing the game is not the same as being aggressive. In fact, the way they reinvented the game is by utilizing SHORT passes (e.g., SAFE, CONSISTENT, LOW RISK) to replace the run game.

it's not about jimmy but you do hate Kyle and you do this every chance you get.

Kyle's philosophy has been pretty balanced and now that passing is more efficient the offense is now stronger than it has been in the 49ers era in a long long time

No I don't hate Kyle. Stop projecting.
lol remember the way you projected hater towards anyone who criticized Alex and jimmy

the same can be said towards you.. but hey thats your own beef with Kyle

I have no beef with Kyle. I just think he's conservative, based on all of the evidence in front of us. You disagree. We can argue about it like grown ups or you can keep interjecting tears and emotions.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
The way Brock recognized the change in coverage post snap so quickly, I'm beginning to think Brock has such good visual spacing and anticipation, he's just simply throwing his receiver open into open spaces with defenders as visual cues. Sometimes he adjust the throw slightly to lead them into the open space he sees.

All of us are like, OMG he diagnosed the change in coverage in half a second and then let it rip. He's like, you guys are making football harder than it is. I think he's like Kurt Warner in that regard. When Kurt Warner breakdown films, he doesn't emphasize the importance of defensive coverage, so much as the visual spacing and how the defender(s) covering his receiver to anticipate if they will be open and the throw makeable. Basically cutting through the unnecessary and be able to make decisions so quickly and decisively.

Whoa! You are comparing Brock to a hall of fame level QB!

Share 49ersWebzone