LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 267 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Real coaches go 5-7 in the weak side of the Big 10.

YEAH.. can you imagine how bad Kyle's record would be had he been coaching the Gophers?
Originally posted by Furlow:
The aggressive Atlanta play caller who was 26th in the NFL in passing attempts per game lol.

Should just call 10 more screen, shovel and swing passes so he can be seen as aggressive.
Originally posted by 9moon:
YEAH.. can you imagine how bad Kyle's record would be had he been coaching the Gophers?

He'd actually recruit good players and they'd come play for him.

There's a reason why your guy is STILL coaching the Gophers. He will be lucky to still be coaching there next year.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Nov 29, 2023 at 9:17 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by NCommand:
All good. Glad we agree that it's been Brock that's been more aggressive. Certainly not Kyle. And that's not a dig at him either.

Kyle is the same aggressive pass play caller he was in Atlanta. He finally has a QB to execute it like he did then.

All it is.

The aggressive Atlanta play caller who was 26th in the NFL in passing attempts per game lol.

Great point Furlow. Kyle needs to model his offense more like the Commanders, who have the most passing attempts, and therefore are the most aggressive offense in the NFL.

lol
Originally posted by thl408:
Great point Furlow. Kyle needs to model his offense more like the Commanders, who have the most passing attempts, and therefore are the most aggressive offense in the NFL.

lol

• thl408
I'm not being serious, Furlow. Just mocking your logic that more pass attempts equates to an aggressive offense.

If we go by the other metric you mentioned yesterday, total offensive snaps, then the Browns are currently the most aggressive offense in the NFL. That makes less sense than passing attempts.

lol

we still on the aggressive debate?
there's nothing wrong with being conservative,

except for plus territory punts, those are a sin
with a great O, and QB in Mr Purdy, the frequency of keeping the offense out there, must go up
  • thl408
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

lol

with a great O, and QB in Mr Purdy, the frequency of keeping the offense out there, must go up

yup we are still on it. What's your criteria for an aggressive offense? Is it something also irrelevant, like time of possession, or number of drives per game? Maybe total number of 4th down attempts? Would love to hear your input, F6.

There isn't anything wrong with it. It's just not an accurate description of the 9ers passing offense. Or the offense in general for that matter.

The 9ers aren't a more conservative offense than the Bears for example. Watching 5 minutes of Mondays game could tell you that.
  • thl408

There isn't anything wrong with it. It's just not an accurate description of the 9ers passing offense. Or the offense in general for that matter.

The 9ers aren't a more conservative offense than the Bears for example. Watching 5 minutes of Mondays game could tell you that.

btw, I'm not here to say Kyle is one way or the other. All my posts about an offense being aggressive or conservative has been about arguing the criteria being used to determine whether an offense is aggressive or conservative. I've read some weird stuff over the past day about this.

it's like Smokey was saying, you gotta define your terms, otherwise you are talking across each other.. aggressive can be construed a lot of different ways, in a game as varied and complex as football

I view KS as conservative as it relates to the analytics. He talks about it here: https://www.ninersnation.com/2023/10/6/23905593/kyle-shanahan-analytics-49ers-cowboys

he was at one point ranked 27th in his 4th down decision making: https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/12/2/22814153/49ers-fourth-down-decision-making-shanahan

would like to see if that has improved, as the data is a couple years back

my moment was when a robot on twitter in real time noted that Kyle was lowering our win odds, in the NFCCG
this was a run up the gut with Juice on 3rd that got stuffed, and then he took a penalty on himself in plus territory and punted
this is in the NFCCG for the right to go to the SB
my philosophy is this, you won't be able to plus territory punt your way to the Lombardi, you will have to roll dice and succeed at some critical moment, I think KS has the players, QB, and the playsheet, he just needs to roll the dice more

my 2 cents
The further you throw the ball down field, the less the success rate in the NFL. So imo, the more often you throw the ball down the field (20+ air yards) the more aggressive you are.
it's like Smokey was saying, you gotta define your terms, otherwise you are talking across each other.. aggressive can be construed a lot of different ways, in a game as varied and complex as football

I view KS as conservative as it relates to the analytics. He talks about it here: https://www.ninersnation.com/2023/10/6/23905593/kyle-shanahan-analytics-49ers-cowboys

he was at one point ranked 27th in his 4th down decision making: https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/12/2/22814153/49ers-fourth-down-decision-making-shanahan

my moment was when a robot on twitter in real time noted that Kyle was lowering our win odds, in the NFCCG
this was a run up the gut with Juice on 3rd that got stuffed, and then he took a penalty on himself in plus territory and punted
my philosophy is this, you won't be able to plus territory punt your way to the Lombardi, you will have to roll dice and succeed at some critical moment, I think KS has the players, QB, and the playsheet, he just needs to roll the dice more

my 2 cents

He has been more aggressive in this area at least up to a few weeks ago. The only caveat was we hadn't faced many of those 4th and short opportunities across the 50. I'll see if I can find some charts (including the one from then) later today.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
The further you throw the ball down field, the less the success rate in the NFL. So imo, the more often you throw the ball down the field (20+ air yards) the more aggressive you are.

It's really that simple.

my 2 cents

Thats a different argument and I think that will change as he gets comfortable with Brock. I remember over half of the 4th downs the 9ers attempted in 2021 were with Trey and he only played a handful of games.

Kyle didn't trust Jimmy. Fair or unfair, mistake or correct, that was the reality.
Share 49ersWebzone