LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 273 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by thl408:
Great point Furlow. Kyle needs to model his offense more like the Commanders, who have the most passing attempts, and therefore are the most aggressive offense in the NFL.

lol

we still on the aggressive debate?
there's nothing wrong with being conservative,

except for plus territory punts, those are a sin
with a great O, and QB in Mr Purdy, the frequency of keeping the offense out there, must go up

We moved to, calculated aggressively prudent. To match our FO.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
it's like Smokey was saying, you gotta define your terms, otherwise you are talking across each other.. aggressive can be construed a lot of different ways, in a game as varied and complex as football

I view KS as conservative as it relates to the analytics. He talks about it here: https://www.ninersnation.com/2023/10/6/23905593/kyle-shanahan-analytics-49ers-cowboys

he was at one point ranked 27th in his 4th down decision making: https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/12/2/22814153/49ers-fourth-down-decision-making-shanahan

would like to see if that has improved, as the data is a couple years back

my moment was when a robot on twitter in real time noted that Kyle was lowering our win odds, in the NFCCG
this was a run up the gut with Juice on 3rd that got stuffed, and then he took a penalty on himself in plus territory and punted
this is in the NFCCG for the right to go to the SB
my philosophy is this, you won't be able to plus territory punt your way to the Lombardi, you will have to roll dice and succeed at some critical moment, I think KS has the players, QB, and the playsheet, he just needs to roll the dice more

my 2 cents

He has been more aggressive in this area at least up to a few weeks ago. The only caveat was we hadn't faced many of those 4th and short opportunities across the 50. I'll see if I can find some charts (including the one from then) later today.

Nice.. there's just a lot of variables, as KS mentions. He's often had elite Ds, and I can see the logic of wanting to force a longer field vs an elite D, or trusting your D. Now if we had terrible Ds I imagine he would be more inclined to keep the O out there. I think there's an impact of the O knowing all week and all year, that we go in those situations, and we have plays each week for those short yardage gotta have it situations. It shows trust from playcaller to the players on O. Guys don't just jog off on 4th and short, and have to go back out.. When you call em once in a blue moon, you take your own guys by surprise, and often have to burn a TO just to get personnel out there and the play in.
Thats a different argument and I think that will change as he gets comfortable with Brock. I remember over half of the 4th downs the 9ers attempted in 2021 were with Trey and he only played a handful of games.

Kyle didn't trust Jimmy. Fair or unfair, mistake or correct, that was the reality.

That's the typical blame it on Jimmy, we were making SBs and NFCCGs with that guy, and had one of the best per play offenses, you can view it as okay trust Trent, trust Kittle to win, trust BA, trust Deebo, etc. Trust yourself as playcaller. Give one of those layups he's famous for. But to pick your roster, including your QB and going that deep into a campaign and saying yeah i'll punt, cuz I don't trust, well that's how you watch Kupp and those guys win your ring. Go down swinging, not punting. I don't care who the QB is. You owe it to the 9 months of work it took to get to that point to have some balls in the crucial moment.
Is this the Shanahan thread or the Jimmy thread?
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
its the Kyle and Brock are badass while jimmy still sucks thread
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

People so obsessed with the past.

Brock is the best QB we've had because he's the best QB we've had. Not because he's just mentally more aggressive or going against what Kyle wants. If the BS narratives would stop there wouldn't be talk of the past.

Got a guy playing like Matt Ryan was in 2016 finally. It's a good time to be a 9er fan.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Nov 29, 2023 at 11:20 AM ]

Brock is the best QB we've had because he's the best QB we've had. Not because he's just mentally more aggressive or going against what Kyle wants. If the BS narratives would stop there wouldn't be talk of the past.

Got a guy playing like Matt Ryan was in 2016 finally. It's a good time to be a 9er fan.

We do know how that ends, right?
let's go with another comp

Just like the Alex and Kap threads. People just want to be right.

Stoked to see Brock equaling Ryan's best season in his first full year as a starter.

I'm confident this defense won't allow 25 unanswered.

my guy Wilks yessir

I don't see our defense blowing a 25 point lead.

I am confident Brock can lead the team to a second half TD and run down the clock at the same time.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
I don't see our defense blowing a 25 point lead.

We will not have to face the elite Chris Hogan in coverage thankfully.
Share 49ersWebzone