LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 295 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by krizay:
Not sure why they make this a QB award. Usually goes to a QB on one of the best teams. To me this year. If CMC finishes with over 2,000+ total yards and 20+ total TDs he should MVP. If Tyreek hits the 2k mark he too should be in the running. They both should be at the top of that list. Josh Allen should be the top QB on that list

I was with you until you brought up Josh Allen.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Mahomes was younger in '18 than Purdy is now… but the other three QBs were years in for sure.

Pat looks like he has always been 35 lol
[ Edited by Montana on Nov 29, 2023 at 2:01 PM ]
Originally posted by YACBros85:
I was with you until you brought up Josh Allen.

This

Don't drink the hype juice 🧃

Top comment kind of funny in the context of the recent discussion in this thread

2 Shanahans in the top 5 all time.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by 9moon:
YEAH.. can you imagine how bad Kyle's record would be had he been coaching the Gophers?

He'd actually recruit good players and they'd come play for him.

There's a reason why your guy is STILL coaching the Gophers. He will be lucky to still be coaching there next year.

YEAH ... he suddenly can recruit when he turned down the 2nd best QB ever to play in the NFL..

stay down on your knees homie, Kyle will get to you soonest. .
YEAH ... he suddenly can recruit when he turned down the 2nd best QB ever to play in the NFL..

You realize your first sentence doesn't actually make sense right?

What is the point of recruitment?

he never makes any sense lol
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by NCommand:
All good. Glad we agree that it's been Brock that's been more aggressive. Certainly not Kyle. And that's not a dig at him either.

Kyle is the same aggressive pass play caller he was in Atlanta. He finally has a QB to execute it like he did then.

All it is.

The aggressive Atlanta play caller who was 26th in the NFL in passing attempts per game lol.

Great point Furlow. Kyle needs to model his offense more like the Commanders, who have the most passing attempts, and therefore are the most aggressive offense in the NFL.

lol

I have NO ISSUE with how Kyle calls plays. Don't let these debbie downers fool you. I'm simply calling it like it is, and that's that Kyle is a conservative minded coach. He likes to run the ball, play a slow paced game, and dominate with defense. He favors efficient QB play over aggressive play and does not like having to be "pass-centric." And no, this is not merely because he is "always blowing teams out" lol. It's his identity. It's how he builds his team. It's how be drafts his skill players, and OL.

When you pair that mentality with a people-pleasing personality like Jimmy, who was also not a "grinder," who didn't have a good feel for throwing deep balls - you get a stagnant offense. Only when Jimmy went full on "F it mode" was he successful with Kyle. But it wasn't natural for him, and he made too many bone headed plays/turnovers.

Purdy has a much better feel for deep passes and has elite situational awareness. He knows when to "listen to Kyle" (aka play it safe) and when to tell Kyle to go fly a kite. Sit down, coach, I got this. Ice in my veins. He has that aggressive, gun slinger mentality that is necessary to get a coach like Kyle to come out of his shell a little. And it's working GREAT. As Purdy continues to make plays that Kyle doesn't see or wouldn't "want," or aren't the "right read" - Kyle continues to adjust how he calls plays.

There is absolutely nothing negative about this whatsoever; it's actually the perfect blend of coach/play caller and QB in my opinion. It's very strange that a few posters are so triggered by this and instead choose to believe that Kyle is actually "aggressive" and wants to chuck it deep. There is simply no evidence for that at all.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
I'm not being serious, Furlow. Just mocking your logic that more pass attempts equates to an aggressive offense.

If we go by the other metric you mentioned yesterday, total offensive snaps, then the Browns are currently the most aggressive offense in the NFL. That makes less sense than passing attempts.

Coaches that are more uptempo and want to call plays faster are more aggressive. I don't know what to tell you lol.

Be easier to understand if his caps lock didn't randomly malfunction on every statement.

• Furlow
  • Veteran
The further you throw the ball down field, the less the success rate in the NFL. So imo, the more often you throw the ball down the field (20+ air yards) the more aggressive you are.

It's really that simple.

Yes, the most complex and difficult team sport in the history of mankind, can be summed up by air yards.
I have NO ISSUE with how Kyle calls plays. Don't let these debbie downers fool you. I'm simply calling it like it is, and that's that Kyle is a conservative minded coach. He likes to run the ball, play a slow paced game, and dominate with defense. He favors efficient QB play over aggressive play and does not like having to be "pass-centric." And no, this is not merely because he is "always blowing teams out" lol. It's his identity. It's how he builds his team. It's how be drafts his skill players, and OL.

When you pair that mentality with a people-pleasing personality like Jimmy, who was also not a "grinder," who didn't have a good feel for throwing deep balls - you get a stagnant offense. Only when Jimmy went full on "F it mode" was he successful with Kyle. But it wasn't natural for him, and he made too many bone headed plays/turnovers.

Purdy has a much better feel for deep passes and has elite situational awareness. He knows when to "listen to Kyle" (aka play it safe) and when to tell Kyle to go fly a kite. Sit down, coach, I got this. Ice in my veins. He has that aggressive, gun slinger mentality that is necessary to get a coach like Kyle to come out of his shell a little. And it's working GREAT. As Purdy continues to make plays that Kyle doesn't see or wouldn't "want," or aren't the "right read" - Kyle continues to adjust how he calls plays.

There is absolutely nothing negative about this whatsoever; it's actually the perfect blend of coach/play caller and QB in my opinion. It's very strange that a few posters are so triggered by this and instead choose to believe that Kyle is actually "aggressive" and wants to chuck it deep. There is simply no evidence for that at all.

There's quite a bit of evidence that he is aggressive within the pass game.

You say a lot of things that are hard to disagree with in this post, but the Jimmy portion is pretty off and that's where you're running into disagreement. You're also giving Brock too much credit for going outside the boundaries of the offense. He's capable of doing it and he's done it successfully, but you're still seemingly confusing decisions within the structure of the offense with out of structure play.
The further you throw the ball down field, the less the success rate in the NFL. So imo, the more often you throw the ball down the field (20+ air yards) the more aggressive you are.

It's really that simple.

Yes, the most complex and difficult team sport in the history of mankind, can be summed up by air yards.

well played

It's really that simple.

That 160 IQ shining again
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

There's quite a bit of evidence that he is aggressive within the pass game.

You say a lot of things that are hard to disagree with in this post, but the Jimmy portion is pretty off and that's where you're running into disagreement. You're also giving Brock too much credit for going outside the boundaries of the offense. He's capable of doing it and he's done it successfully, but you're still seemingly confusing decisions within the structure of the offense with out of structure play.

Out of structure is scrambling and throwing to WR's who have deviated from their route. Not what I'm talking about. I'm referring to routes that aren't intended to be "in the play" ie clear-out routes. For Jimmy, those were off limits because Kyle said so. For Purdy, if it's open, he's throwing it. Aiyuk has literally said these exact words. You don't have to look very deeply to see what's going on here.
Share 49ersWebzone