LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 290 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
He didn't run the offense as designed on paper though, and that's why we moved mountains to replace him, lol… besides the fact that he couldn't stay healthy.

Watch some breakdowns of the play from former offensive coaches, gurus, or quarterbacks. It's not a unique thought that that particular throw wasn't necessarily the easiest or most common decision given the depth of the middlefield players. Any time any quarterback drops a ball between 4 defenders when there is an easy open read that will gain near first down yardage its going to be a hold your breath moment for a coach. * That doesn't indicate that the QB is pushing the boundaries of the design of the offense*

You are also talking about a play the coach saw in a split second on the field without the benefit of the all 22.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
You are also talking about a play the coach saw in a split second on the field without the benefit of the all 22.

Agreed.
Whether someone thinks its more aggressive to replace runs with short passes, or pass the ball more in general is purely up to that person's offensive philosophy. I think most fans would probably agree passing more = more aggression for whatever it's worth (not much IMO).

The most relevant point worth arguing here is that he doesn't think Kyle wants to attack downfield in the pass game when the evidentiary picture clearly indicates otherwise.

Perhaps. I don't see how a bubble screen is more aggressive than Deebos reverse vs Jacksonville for example though.

Top comment kind of funny in the context of the recent discussion in this thread

That's pretty damn cool. Let's keep it rolling!
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by random49er:
I have no beef with Kyle. I just think he's conservative, based on all of the evidence in front of us. You disagree. We can argue about it like grown ups or you can keep interjecting tears and emotions.

All coaches are conservative to a degree. And if they aren't,...they never reach this level of football.

Only thing that separates 1 from the other is "how much."

I mean call him whatever you wish....but as of now,...these are the results.

This from the guy constantly screaming that all of our big plays come from YAC lol. Purdy has been insanely efficient in the limited opportunities he's been given by his VERY conservative coach. Since we can't even call a coach aggressive anymore. Never seen so many grown men cry about words on a screen.

Well that's a lie, just look at some of your posts.

As far as YAC goes, we are 10th this year. We're getting those big plays with air yards this time.

10th is low now? Lol

Reading comprehension again dude? Read what I wrote again, do it slowly if that helps.

I can read just fine. I said we could be getting those explosive plays from YAC. You said, no it's not YAC, we're 10th. Implying that 10th is not good for YAC. That's better than 2/3rd of the league. So no, not all of those plays are from air yards. But that is besides the point, because we can all agree that Purdy is an extremely efficient deep ball passer. Efficient deep ball passing by itself does not equal "aggressive." Again, we are last in the NFL in passing attempts. Anyone who is intellectually honest would agree that running the ball is more conservative than passing the ball.

9ersveva here is where you mention the Bears throwing a bunch of screens for the 27th time in the past two days as evidence that passing doesn't equal aggressiveness. Because one outlier is a great argument against the fact that running the ball is more conservative than passing the ball.

These are the top 6 QB's with the best MVP odds.

The % of passing yards from YAC

Hurts- 43.5%
Mahomes- 56.6%
Prescott- 43.0%
Jackson- 50.8%
Tagovailoa- 47.4%
Purdy- 45.9%
This is why I responded to you in the other thread that I didn't think it was a clear out route on that particular play (but would wait to see All 22 at that time).

Again, this is a discussion that's actually about decision making within the offense… which is also where Jimmy was not up to snuff.

It's is entirely normal to have debates about which decision was the best decision within the offense, but there's no actual evidence that Kyle told Jimmy to not be aggressive in the pass game and ample evidence to suggest he struggled reading defenses and with field vision, and left plays all over the field.

Aiyuk's comments reflected that more than anything related to coaching.

Aiyuks comment about "there were plays when we knew we were never going to get the ball on the call"? Or essentially what he said?
Perhaps. I don't see how a bubble screen is more aggressive than Deebos reverse vs Jacksonville for example though.

I mean I personally agree with you. I just think the average fan would equate more passes with more aggression… the pass game is sexier to them and the QB is the most focused on position.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Aiyuks comment about "there were plays when we knew we were never going to get the ball on the call"? Or essentially what he said?

Correct.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by 9moon:
YEAH ... he suddenly can recruit when he turned down the 2nd best QB ever to play in the NFL..

stay down on your knees homie, Kyle will get to you soonest. .

You realize your first sentence doesn't actually make sense right?

What is the point of recruitment?

Be easier to understand if his caps lock didn't randomly malfunction on every statement.

POINT was very well taken by the MODS.. I just got 25% on my warning level..

Originally posted by tankle104:

Correct.

Undeniable. Remember all that talk about ghost routes and clearing routes? They all magically disappeared starting late last season.

I have NO ISSUE with how Kyle calls plays. Don't let these debbie downers fool you. I'm simply calling it like it is, and that's that Kyle is a conservative minded coach. He likes to run the ball, play a slow paced game, and dominate with defense. He favors efficient QB play over aggressive play and does not like having to be "pass-centric." And no, this is not merely because he is "always blowing teams out" lol. It's his identity. It's how he builds his team. It's how be drafts his skill players, and OL.

When you pair that mentality with a people-pleasing personality like Jimmy, who was also not a "grinder," who didn't have a good feel for throwing deep balls - you get a stagnant offense. Only when Jimmy went full on "F it mode" was he successful with Kyle. But it wasn't natural for him, and he made too many bone headed plays/turnovers.

Purdy has a much better feel for deep passes and has elite situational awareness. He knows when to "listen to Kyle" (aka play it safe) and when to tell Kyle to go fly a kite. Sit down, coach, I got this. Ice in my veins. He has that aggressive, gun slinger mentality that is necessary to get a coach like Kyle to come out of his shell a little. And it's working GREAT. As Purdy continues to make plays that Kyle doesn't see or wouldn't "want," or aren't the "right read" - Kyle continues to adjust how he calls plays.

There is absolutely nothing negative about this whatsoever; it's actually the perfect blend of coach/play caller and QB in my opinion. It's very strange that a few posters are so triggered by this and instead choose to believe that Kyle is actually "aggressive" and wants to chuck it deep. There is simply no evidence for that at all.

There's quite a bit of evidence that he is aggressive within the pass game.

You say a lot of things that are hard to disagree with in this post, but the Jimmy portion is pretty off and that's where you're running into disagreement. You're also giving Brock too much credit for going outside the boundaries of the offense. He's capable of doing it and he's done it successfully, but you're still seemingly confusing decisions within the structure of the offense with out of structure play.

Out of structure is scrambling and throwing to WR's who have deviated from their route. Not what I'm talking about. I'm referring to routes that aren't intended to be "in the play" ie clear-out routes. For Jimmy, those were off limits because Kyle said so. For Purdy, if it's open, he's throwing it. Aiyuk has literally said these exact words. You don't have to look very deeply to see what's going on here.

This is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT FALSE, and Kyle has SPECIFICALLY said this. The last one when Jimmy was here was to the effect of, "You want your QB to throw the deep shot when it's open, but if the short pass works, what are you going to say?" That's paraphrasing, but that's basically what he said.

Matt Ryan was throwing those. Hell, CJ Beathard was throwing those. That's not Kyle. That's the quarterback turning those down.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Undeniable. Remember all that talk about ghost routes and clearing routes? They all magically disappeared starting late last season.

Thats when Brock started calling his own plays in the huddle Varsity Blues style.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
This is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT FALSE, and Kyle has SPECIFICALLY said this. The last one when Jimmy was here was to the effect of, "You want your QB to throw the deep shot when it's open, but if the short pass works, what are you going to say?" That's paraphrasing, but that's basically what he said.

Matt Ryan was throwing those. Hell, CJ Beathard was throwing those. That's not Kyle. That's the quarterback turning those down.

This has been touched on by a ton of posters, you included, but it's evident throughout Kyle's coaching career, and the system with Mike running it.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by NCommand:
All good. Glad we agree that it's been Brock that's been more aggressive. Certainly not Kyle. And that's not a dig at him either.

Kyle is the same aggressive pass play caller he was in Atlanta. He finally has a QB to execute it like he did then.

All it is.

The aggressive Atlanta play caller who was 26th in the NFL in passing attempts per game lol.

And who was 4th in deep passing attempts.

We get it, you love air yards.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by random49er:
I have no beef with Kyle. I just think he's conservative, based on all of the evidence in front of us. You disagree. We can argue about it like grown ups or you can keep interjecting tears and emotions.

All coaches are conservative to a degree. And if they aren't,...they never reach this level of football.

Only thing that separates 1 from the other is "how much."

I mean call him whatever you wish....but as of now,...these are the results.

This from the guy constantly screaming that all of our big plays come from YAC lol. Purdy has been insanely efficient in the limited opportunities he's been given by his VERY conservative coach. Since we can't even call a coach aggressive anymore. Never seen so many grown men cry about words on a screen.

Well that's a lie, just look at some of your posts.

As far as YAC goes, we are 10th this year. We're getting those big plays with air yards this time.

10th is low now? Lol

Reading comprehension again dude? Read what I wrote again, do it slowly if that helps.

I can read just fine. I said we could be getting those explosive plays from YAC. You said, no it's not YAC, we're 10th. Implying that 10th is not good for YAC. That's better than 2/3rd of the league. So no, not all of those plays are from air yards. But that is besides the point, because we can all agree that Purdy is an extremely efficient deep ball passer. Efficient deep ball passing by itself does not equal "aggressive." Again, we are last in the NFL in passing attempts. Anyone who is intellectually honest would agree that running the ball is more conservative than passing the ball.

9ersveva here is where you mention the Bears throwing a bunch of screens for the 27th time in the past two days as evidence that passing doesn't equal aggressiveness. Because one outlier is a great argument against the fact that running the ball is more conservative than passing the ball.

These are the top 6 QB's with the best MVP odds.

The % of passing yards from YAC

Hurts- 43.5%
Mahomes- 56.6%
Prescott- 43.0%
Jackson- 50.8%
Tagovailoa- 47.4%
Purdy- 45.9%

Getting yards from YAC is not a knock on the QB; not was I was implying at all. Ironic though that the Jimmy haters (who ALWAYS downplayed his stats because of YAC) are now totally fine with YAC coming from Purdy lol.

My point was that listing the Niners in the top 10 in explosive plays does not mean that they have an aggressive offense. I think I stand with the vast majority of fans and analysts who would agree that coaches who run the ball more are more "conservative" and coaches who pass the ball more are more "aggressive." This has been true for the history of the game as long as it's included forward passing. Finding outliers here and there does not take away from this fact. Same is true for coaches who call plays at a slower pace, that is more conservative. How often do they go for it on 4th down. Do they pass or run on 3rd and short. Plenty of metrics we can use, and prior to Purdy - all of them show that Kyle is conservative. So it seems pretty obvious that Purdy is helping Kyle become more aggressive; and in turn Kyle is helping Purdy not go YOLO and make stupid decisions. Again, this is the best combination a fan could hope for. So confusing why some in here are getting bent out of shape about it.
Share 49ersWebzone