Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Undeniable. Remember all that talk about ghost routes and clearing routes? They all magically disappeared starting late last season.

Thats when Brock started calling his own plays in the huddle Varsity Blues style.

Careful, someone is going to believe you're serious.

Definitely not calling his own plays. But our receivers can't just take plays off and run lazy routes. You don't see much of that from BA and is probably why he has naturally become Brock's favorite target. Coverage dictates where the ball goes and no route is a clearing route. A checkdown is a missed opportunity to Brock according to what Kyle said.

There are absolutely clearing routes. And Deebo runs them lazily constantly. Watch some of JT's breakdowns (QB School on YouTube). It's maddening. Offense would be so much better if he ran every route with 100% effort.

I watch his breakdowns of Brock every week. Yes. He points out Deebo all the time for that. If Deebo ran all his routes with the same effort as Aiyuk, this offense could reach its full potential.
Jt also says again and again.. he doesn't know what are the intentions of each play.. he's just going off the film and adding his "opinion" not facts

I'll be honest with you. I cannot stand JTO and how he takes a jab at Kyle whenever he can. However, I cannot deny his football acumen. So when he says a WR is running a lazy route, I believe him.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Nov 29, 2023 at 5:30 PM ]
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
There are absolutely clearing routes. And Deebo runs them lazily constantly. Watch some of JT's breakdowns (QB School on YouTube). It's maddening. Offense would be so much better if he ran every route with 100% effort.

Right but the idea that Kyle doesn't allow for a throw to that route in any circumstance is not supported in evidence.

You actually made the argument that Jimmy went along with that because he is a 'people pleaser' which I could only describe as some kind of bizarre fan fiction, lol.

Some routes are designed as clear outs, they're not intended to be thrown to. Jimmy was very much a gun slinger prior to the Niners and when he first arrived. He also played that way last season after publicly beefing with Kyle about the style of the offense. So what changed in the middle? Why would Jimmy go from a gun slinger to more of a game manager? That's how he was coached.

Now I'd agree with a few that have posted that all coaches are somewhat conservative by nature, but Kyle is also very controlling. The things he says, the comments that players make, etc. He wants things HIS way. Contrast that with Andy Reid who has practice time for his players to draw up their own plays. It's a huge difference.

My point is Jimmy did not push that with Kyle. Whether it's not in his personality, or he wasn't that interested in football, or didn't study much, or just didn't care - Kyle coached the gunslinger out of him. That's not all on Kyle, Jimmy was a pushover and a p***y.

Purdy is none of that. He is making plays that Jimmy wouldn't dream of attempting, even before he was a Niner. I simply don't believe that Kyle's offense and scheme has changed much. Same heavy run/pass split, same route concepts, etc. He doesn't call plays with a preconceived WR target, that's on the QB to decide. Purdy is doing that, and is also incorporating routes that aren't intended as options (aka clear outs). Everything is on the table with him.

What we're seeing from Purdy is a lot like what it would have looked like had we drafted Mahomes. Difference again is Reid is allowing Mahomes to go WAY beyond his play design. I don't like that personally and don't think it's sustainable. So I much prefer the combination that we have - which is a conservative coach who is somewhat pulling the reigns on his aggressive QB. But also allowing his aggressive QB to get him out of his comfort zone and do things he wouldn't normally do (like go for it on 4th and 3 with a 10 point lead vs Washington last season).
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Undeniable. Remember all that talk about ghost routes and clearing routes? They all magically disappeared starting late last season.

Thats when Brock started calling his own plays in the huddle Varsity Blues style.

Definitely not calling his own plays. But our receivers can't just take plays off and run lazy routes. You don't see much of that from BA and is probably why he has naturally become Brock's favorite target. Coverage dictates where the ball goes and no route is a clearing route. A checkdown is a missed opportunity to Brock according to what Kyle said.

I watch his breakdowns of Brock every week. Yes. He points out Deebo all the time for that. If Deebo ran all his routes with the same effort as Aiyuk, this offense could reach its full potential.
Jt also says again and again.. he doesn't know what are the intentions of each play.. he's just going off the film and adding his "opinion" not facts

It's not an "opinion" that Deebo runs lazy routes when a play isn't designed for him. It's obvious if you watch the film, which you clearly don't.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

let's change the narrative. Kid needs to show up this weekend vs one of the top teams in the league on the road to shut people up….he's not gonna get the love until he beats the top dog.

So the guy ranked Purdy's road stats vs everyone else's cumulative stats? Seems legit.

I'll be honest with you. I cannot stand JTO and how he takes a jab at Kyle whenever he can. However, I cannot deny his football acumen. So when he says a WR is running a lazy route, I believe him.
yeah jt is kind of full of it. Chase is ok
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Nov 29, 2023 at 5:46 PM ]
Some routes are designed as clear outs, they're not intended to be thrown to. Jimmy was very much a gun slinger prior to the Niners and when he first arrived. He also played that way last season after publicly beefing with Kyle about the style of the offense. So what changed in the middle? Why would Jimmy go from a gun slinger to more of a game manager? That's how he was coached.

Now I'd agree with a few that have posted that all coaches are somewhat conservative by nature, but Kyle is also very controlling. The things he says, the comments that players make, etc. He wants things HIS way. Contrast that with Andy Reid who has practice time for his players to draw up their own plays. It's a huge difference.

My point is Jimmy did not push that with Kyle. Whether it's not in his personality, or he wasn't that interested in football, or didn't study much, or just didn't care - Kyle coached the gunslinger out of him. That's not all on Kyle, Jimmy was a pushover and a p***y.

Purdy is none of that. He is making plays that Jimmy wouldn't dream of attempting, even before he was a Niner. I simply don't believe that Kyle's offense and scheme has changed much. Same heavy run/pass split, same route concepts, etc. He doesn't call plays with a preconceived WR target, that's on the QB to decide. Purdy is doing that, and is also incorporating routes that aren't intended as options (aka clear outs). Everything is on the table with him.

What we're seeing from Purdy is a lot like what it would have looked like had we drafted Mahomes. Difference again is Reid is allowing Mahomes to go WAY beyond his play design. I don't like that personally and don't think it's sustainable. So I much prefer the combination that we have - which is a conservative coach who is somewhat pulling the reigns on his aggressive QB. But also allowing his aggressive QB to get him out of his comfort zone and do things he wouldn't normally do (like go for it on 4th and 3 with a 10 point lead vs Washington last season).

Jimmy had less than 100 pass attempts in game action before coming to the Niners. I think he had two or three starts. The idea that he was 'known as a gunslinger' is new to me. Same with the idea that Jimmy was a gunslinger in our offense last season. I don't remember him publicly beefing with Kyle outside of a caught on camera moment where he said something along the lines of 'your s**t doesn't work'. And that idea flies against the good soldier, people pleaser, Jimmy is a p***y points you're raising elsewhere.

I want to test the structure, logic, or consistency, behind your thinking.

Why was it that you think Kyle moved to replace Jimmy? Was it strictly because of his inability to stay healthy in your view? What were the issues?

Cosell says the same.

let's change the narrative. Kid needs to show up this weekend vs one of the top teams in the league on the road to shut people up….he's not gonna get the love until he beats the top dog.

So the guy ranked Purdy's road stats vs everyone else's cumulative stats? Seems legit.

Brock's passer rating on the road is 95.6 and has a 2:1 TD to INT ratio. So it really hasn't been bad. Not like that tweet suggests.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Nov 29, 2023 at 5:59 PM ]

Huh? He'a ranking his road stats vs home stats, compared to others home/away stats. clearly played better at home.

He's gotta show up for games like this on the road to be up there with the other high end QBs in the league. He's gonna get his shot on Sunday, hopefully he kills it.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Aiyuks comment about "there were plays when we knew we were never going to get the ball on the call"? Or essentially what he said?

Correct.

Well they were, at least in Jimmy's eyes. Lmao

Brock just doesn't need a clearing route etc. if a guy gets open, Brock believes he can hit him - jimmy didn't seem to have that same confidence and/or belief.

Brock's passer rating on the road is 95.6 and has a 2:1 TD to INT ratio. So it really hasn't been bad. Not like that tweet suggests.

The stats he provided aren't amazing. It's a collection of stuff not just one thing either way. I'm not saying he a been bad at all…I've been nothing put positive about the kid since the season started.

my main point is if brock wants to shut up the media, it's games like this that he's gotta show up. Going into Philly and beating them…maybe even coming from behind to get the W.
How many of those were injury games without Trent Williams, Deebo and CMC banged up with the oblique and not full strength? That matters a lot guys. No small thing. Plus our defense playing stupid before we moved the DC to the field to call a better game. It also spills over to the whole team.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 29, 2023 at 6:15 PM ]
Brock's last 2 road games he has completed 71.4% of his passes for 9.2 YPA with a 4:1 TD to INT ratio and a 117.8 passer rating.
Brock's last 2 road games he has completed 71.4% of his passes for 9.2 YPA with a 4:1 TD to INT ratio and a 117.8 passer rating.

He has gotten better as we have gotten more healthy anywhere you play. Which isn't at all surprising. He also continues to gain more experience. I think there were some clunker games in there with terrible injuries to key guys. Also bad weather and in Cleveland's case a great defense. Just a variety of things. But I don't think at all you would have the whole answer looking at that ridiculous Tweet. There are more things going on there with that.

Ryan Heath sounds like a dips**t. No one should care what he thinks.

He's ranking Brock's road stats against other QB overall stats?

FPG?

You really must have to dig for takes this dumb to trash the guy who took Lance's job.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Nov 29, 2023 at 6:38 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone