LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 282 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Ryan Heath sounds like a dips**t. No one should care what he thinks.

He ranking Brock's road stats against other QB overall stats?

You really must have to dig for takes this dumb to trash the guy who took Lance's job.

It's a very stupid hot take.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Huh? He'a ranking his road stats vs home stats, compared to others home/away stats. clearly played better at home.

He's gotta show up for games like this on the road to be up there with the other high end QBs in the league. He's gonna get his shot on Sunday, hopefully he kills it.

I don't believe you.
What are the rankings and what is the sample?
I don't believe you.

The rankings are in parenthesis in the tweet, and the sample is 6 home games and 5 road games (for Brock at least).

EDIT: Accidentally reversed the numbers. It's 5 home games and 6 road.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Nov 29, 2023 at 6:54 PM ]
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
I don't believe you.

The rankings are in parenthesis in the tweet and the sample is 6 home games and 5 road games.

Who cares what that fool and his hot takes thinks? Purdy is good and he will continue to prove that. We have a chance at the trophy this year. The best QB we have had in 20 years.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Who cares what that fool and his hot takes thinks? Purdy is good and he will continue to prove that. We have a chance at the trophy this year. The best QB we have had in 20 years.

I don't care at all, lol. It's just a small sample of statistics with some ranks.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Furlow:
Some routes are designed as clear outs, they're not intended to be thrown to. Jimmy was very much a gun slinger prior to the Niners and when he first arrived. He also played that way last season after publicly beefing with Kyle about the style of the offense. So what changed in the middle? Why would Jimmy go from a gun slinger to more of a game manager? That's how he was coached.

Now I'd agree with a few that have posted that all coaches are somewhat conservative by nature, but Kyle is also very controlling. The things he says, the comments that players make, etc. He wants things HIS way. Contrast that with Andy Reid who has practice time for his players to draw up their own plays. It's a huge difference.

My point is Jimmy did not push that with Kyle. Whether it's not in his personality, or he wasn't that interested in football, or didn't study much, or just didn't care - Kyle coached the gunslinger out of him. That's not all on Kyle, Jimmy was a pushover and a p***y.

Purdy is none of that. He is making plays that Jimmy wouldn't dream of attempting, even before he was a Niner. I simply don't believe that Kyle's offense and scheme has changed much. Same heavy run/pass split, same route concepts, etc. He doesn't call plays with a preconceived WR target, that's on the QB to decide. Purdy is doing that, and is also incorporating routes that aren't intended as options (aka clear outs). Everything is on the table with him.

What we're seeing from Purdy is a lot like what it would have looked like had we drafted Mahomes. Difference again is Reid is allowing Mahomes to go WAY beyond his play design. I don't like that personally and don't think it's sustainable. So I much prefer the combination that we have - which is a conservative coach who is somewhat pulling the reigns on his aggressive QB. But also allowing his aggressive QB to get him out of his comfort zone and do things he wouldn't normally do (like go for it on 4th and 3 with a 10 point lead vs Washington last season).

Jimmy had less than 100 pass attempts in game action before coming to the Niners. I think he had two or three starts. The idea that he was 'known as a gunslinger' is new to me. Same with the idea that Jimmy was a gunslinger in our offense last season. I don't remember him publicly beefing with Kyle outside of a caught on camera moment where he said something along the lines of 'your s**t doesn't work'. And that idea flies against the good soldier, people pleaser, Jimmy is a p***y points you're raising elsewhere.

I want to test the structure, logic, or consistency, behind your thinking.

Why was it that you think Kyle moved to replace Jimmy? Was it strictly because of his inability to stay healthy in your view? What were the issues?

We can move this to the Jimmy thread. Getting way off topic. We like Purdy. I attribute most of the offense's success with him, to him. It seems you and other attribute it more to Kyle. It's fine to disagree, and I appreciate the way you approach it. Others, not so much.
I don't believe you.

The rankings are in parenthesis in the tweet, and the sample is 6 home games and 5 road games (for Brock at least).

EDIT: Accidentally reversed the numbers. It's 5 home games and 6 road.

Comp% is wrong for sure unless dude is including dudes with one start.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Nov 29, 2023 at 7:17 PM ]
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Huh? He'a ranking his road stats vs home stats, compared to others home/away stats. clearly played better at home.

He's gotta show up for games like this on the road to be up there with the other high end QBs in the league. He's gonna get his shot on Sunday, hopefully he kills it.

I don't believe you.

That's not what the tweet is. It's taking his home stats and the placing him where he'd rank overall with all QB's; then doing the same with his road stats. It's not ranking all QB's home stats and then all QB's road stats. So it's stupidly skewed to make it look like he's only good at home, which of course we know is not the case.
We can move this to the Jimmy thread. Getting way off topic. We like Purdy. I attribute most of the offense's success with him, to him. It seems you and other attribute it more to Kyle. It's fine to disagree, and I appreciate the way you approach it. Others, not so much.

To me this conversation does have to do with Purdy. It's about understanding QB play in relation to scheme.

That said, if you want to continue the conversation in the Jimmy thread, let's do that.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

To me this conversation does have to do with Purdy. It's about understanding QB play in relation to scheme.

That said, if you want to continue the conversation in the Jimmy thread, let's do that.

And like I said, I believe that Purdy's play is what has elevated Kyle's offense, not the other way around. Not 100%. Maybe 80/20.

And like I said, I believe that Purdy's play is what has elevated Kyle's offense, not the other way around. Not 100%. Maybe 80/20.

I get it. I asked you a specific question though because I want to piece your argument(s) together...

I'll re-post in the Jimmy thread.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Undeniable. Remember all that talk about ghost routes and clearing routes? They all magically disappeared starting late last season.

Thats when Brock started calling his own plays in the huddle Varsity Blues style.
lol.. can't believe some people actually believe Brock is doing this

Damn, see.

STUPID MOOCH once thought that a camera would catch him drawing something on the ground and expected Steve Young to kneel and see so that it can be similar to the Walsh and Joe photo... ... instead, Young asked standing up if he was throwing up...

let's change the narrative. Kid needs to show up this weekend vs one of the top teams in the league on the road to shut people up….he's not gonna get the love until he beats the top dog.

Ryan Heath sounds like a dips**t. No one should care what he thinks.

He's ranking Brock's road stats against other QB overall stats?

FPG?

You really must have to dig for takes this dumb to trash the guy who took Lance's job.

He is a dips**t, and anyone trying to make some sort of point with it probably doesn't even understand it.

Case in point

Brock Home 132 rtg Away 95.6 rtg

Mahomes Home 99.9 rtg Away 91.9 rtg

Dak Home 129.3 rtg Away 88.8 rtg

Tau Home 117.3 rtg Away 92.5 rtg

Allen Home 109.7 rtg Away 80.0 rtg

Hurts Home 108.9 rtg Away 85.4 rtg

I miss anyone? Point is...shocker often is easier to run your offense at home
When we gonna let trey lance have a go at the starting job?

You got to love these odd opinions ^^

one thing that is factual is that every QB under Kyle has played better under him than anyone else.
Share 49ersWebzone