There are 226 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
feels like the injury to now it's all come full circle
gotta wonder Brock's emotions going into this one
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by thl408:
Oh hell yeah. Accurate, confident, playmaker.

Finally have one at QB. Been two decades. Beautiful thing.

To your other point, as long as he keeps being successful despite Kyle's mini stroke each time, Kyle might start modifying the offense more to highlight that moxy. Not sure.

F$&k yeah! Isn't that what's been going on now? Each week, play calling has been getting bolder and bolder, I think. Maybe it's true that Kyle's finally found his quarterback.
372 yds and 4 TDs from Brock
Originally posted by 49erF90:
F$&k yeah! Isn't that what's been going on now? Each week, play calling has been getting bolder and bolder, I think. Maybe it's true that Kyle's finally found his quarterback.

Still have only had a seasons worth of starts together. It takes awhile to get acclimated to everything a guy can do.
Originally posted by Furlow:
I'm sure we've all heard that type of play before "touchdown to checkdown". Look for the touchdown, if it's not there, take the checkdown. Kyle didn't think the touchdown was there but Brock proved him wrong.

We have people in here that think Kyle doesn't want the touchdown. It's always been ridiculous.

He didn't think the touchdown was there from his sideline view. I take commentary from after the game with a grain of salt because they haven't seen the film. But since it fits a Brock is 80% of our success narrative and Kyle is along for the ride people run with it.

We have people in here who don't believe in clear out routes lol.

My issue with the clearing route argument is that if your QB never takes the deeper route than that tendency shows up on film. Defenses than will start to clamp down on the shorter routes. We saw this over and over again in the playoffs against the better defenses. They knew that those "clearing routes" would never be attacked by Jimmy. Brock comes along and guys like BA had to learn the hard way that those clearing routes are still reads within the progression and depending on how the defense plays it, are absolutely an option so you better always be ready for a pass. So its not that clearing routes don't exist. Its that they are not ghost or phantom routes.
I said this earlier but I'm not here to discuss whether Kyle is aggressive or not. My issue was with how a coach's aggressiveness was being determined. Total pass plays called? Total number of plays? Neither of those make any sense when determining how aggressive a coach/offense is. Go ahead and call Kyle the most conservative coach, that's not why I chimed into this.

I hear that you aren't here to discuss that,...but let's remind ourselves of the evidence that's available to us:

How did he kick things off when he was hired? He could've conservatively took an experienced person as a GM. But he takes a chance on someone completely inexperienced for the job in Lynch.

Then year after year, there are conservative picks to make during the draft, but he instead opts to play Russian roulette with draft picks, whether they are 1st rounders or not.

He's missed alot, but he generally makes more than he misses, and that's what he banks on.

Then there are all highly talented but recently-injured players, even trades, that he takes. Dee Ford anyone? That's just one example.

Could've conservatively tried to fill this need instead.

To the standard couch potato,...sure,...he is conservative cause you can call him whatever you want.

Compared to the other 31 in his profession, KS has clearly taken an aggressive approach to his job. That's if we're just going off of facts, though.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
I'm sure we've all heard that type of play before "touchdown to checkdown". Look for the touchdown, if it's not there, take the checkdown. Kyle didn't think the touchdown was there but Brock proved him wrong.

We have people in here that think Kyle doesn't want the touchdown. It's always been ridiculous.

He didn't think the touchdown was there from his sideline view. I take commentary from after the game with a grain of salt because they haven't seen the film. But since it fits a Brock is 80% of our success narrative and Kyle is along for the ride people run with it.

My issue with the clearing route argument is that if your QB never takes the deeper route than that tendency shows up on film. Defenses than will start to clamp down on the shorter routes. We saw this over and over again in the playoffs against the better defenses. They knew that those "clearing routes" would never be attacked by Jimmy. Brock comes along and guys like BA had to learn the hard way that those clearing routes are still reads within the progression and depending on how the defense plays it, are absolutely an option so you better always be ready for a pass. So its not that clearing routes don't exist. Its that they are not ghost or phantom routes.

Well said.
To your other point, as long as he keeps being successful despite Kyle's mini stroke each time, Kyle might start modifying the offense more to highlight that moxy. Not sure.

Mike Holmgren adjusted to Favre. Once you realize the guy can make any play you are liberated as a playcaller.

Tweaks are all that is needed. It's an all time passing offense RIGHT NOW.

What's extra good is the fact we've come out passing to start games too. More balanced. Way more efficient. Trust from Kyle. The future looks very bright!
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
This is why I responded to you in the other thread that I didn't think it was a clear out route on that particular play (but would wait to see All 22 at that time).

Again, this is a discussion that's actually about decision making within the offense… which is also where Jimmy was not up to snuff.

It's is entirely normal to have debates about which decision was the best decision within the offense, but there's no actual evidence that Kyle told Jimmy to not be aggressive in the pass game and ample evidence to suggest he struggled reading defenses and with field vision, and left plays all over the field.

Aiyuk's comments reflected that more than anything related to coaching.

Aiyuks comment about "there were plays when we knew we were never going to get the ball on the call"? Or essentially what he said?

Were Aiyuk's comments in relationship to who Kyle dialed up as the primary, or later in the progression (b/c of the QB's slow processing) and/or location on the field (where the QB may not attempt)?

He was saying that play calls with previous QBs (he didn't play much with lanxe and a lot with jimmy) - he knew he was never going to get the ball thrown his way on the play. Now with Brock, you never know and have to keep your head on a swivel.

same plays. Just different qb. He's clearly saying that Jimmy didn't attempt certain kinds of throws and Brock will. Regardless of what the first read is or anytbjng. He will progress through the play and try to hit the big play, even if the first read is a check down.

Gotcha. There's no denying that!
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 30, 2023 at 9:22 AM ]
I thought that Jimmy being able to play with more freedom would help him. Didn't realize how broken he actually was/is. Busted up body plus freedom to do whatever you want = a lot of turnovers.

Jimmy aside, McDaniels isn't in the same universe as Kyle.

I mean it wasn't just him being broken…he just not very good and Kyle masked the deficiencies in his game.

A lot of Jimmy truthers said Kyle was part of the issue he wasn't going to the next level. Some said holding him back (not saying you). a lot of us said it was the other way around…and we continued to argue about it for years.

glad we got to see him play elsewhere and can conclude what he is overall…a avg to below avg starter in the league. IMO He should be giving Kyle 10% of his earnings. Shanny made him a f**k ton of cash.

Originally posted by Waterbear:

Well said.

Yea it's just wouldn't make sense for Kyle to draw up a play with the 2nd or 3rd read just not being options. They weren't options for certain QBs, but with Brock everything is on the table

• thl408

I read those pages. A clear out route is usually an 'Alert' route. Meaning that while it may not be the first read in the progression, it can still be an option if the QB sees that the defender that is defending the Alert route goofed (fell down, blew his assignment).
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I thought that Jimmy being able to play with more freedom would help him. Didn't realize how broken he actually was/is. Busted up body plus freedom to do whatever you want = a lot of turnovers.

Jimmy aside, McDaniels isn't in the same universe as Kyle.

I mean it wasn't just him being broken…he just not very good and Kyle masked the deficiencies in his game.

A lot of Jimmy truthers said Kyle was part of the issue he wasn't going to the next level. Some said holding him back (not saying you). a lot of us said it was the other way around…and we continued to argue about it for years.

glad we got to see him play elsewhere and can conclude what he is overall…a avg to below avg starter in the league. IMO He should be giving Kyle 10% of his earnings. Shanny made him a f**k ton of cash.

In fairness to Jimmy when he arrived in SF he was very promising. Had a lot of potential. Unfortunately due to injury and other factors he couldn't take the next step and regressed. Similar story as Kap. If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Yea it's just wouldn't make sense for Kyle to draw up a play with the 2nd or 3rd read just not being options. They weren't options for certain QBs, but with Brock everything is on the table

Yup. It's not just a mentality thing. It's an ability thing.

Not sure there are more than 7 guys in the league that could make that Seattle throw.
Share 49ersWebzone