LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 162 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I honestly don't know what/why people are trying to prove here especially when they bring up our past quarterbacks. None of these guys should be brought up in an argument and shouldn't be used to win an argument. Why are they trying to argue that Jimmy and Lance could do the same as Brock? I mean if you are going to win this argument then we would have to see a catastrophic failure from Brock in order for them to be right. Do they want to say they are right to the detriment of our favorite team? It is crazy.

The best thing for them to do is admit they were wrong and then they can freely root for the team. Deep down I believe they want us to lose because their favorite player is no longer on the team. It is not easy to switch teams when we are winning. So they want the glory as well.
[ Edited by Eddie_D on Nov 30, 2023 at 1:01 PM ]
Originally posted by Eddie_D:
I honestly don't know what/why people are trying to prove here especially when they bring up our past quarterbacks. None of these guys should be brought up in an argument and shouldn't be used to win an argument. Why are they trying to argue that Jimmy and Lance could do the same as Brock? I mean if you are going to win this argument then we would have to see a catastrophic failure from Brock in order for them to be right. Do they want to say they are right to the detriment of our favorite team? It is crazy.

The best thing for them to do is admit they were wrong and then they can freely root for the team. Deep down I believe they want us to lose because their favorite player is no longer on the team. It is not easy to switch teams when we are winning. So they want the glory as well.

The reason those qb's get discussed, beyond any idea that people want to be right in an argument, is because it highlights how people judge what is or isn't good QB play. It's the same foundation that underpins and colors arguments about our current QB.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Let's not forget Brock's no look pass vs the Raiders last year.

So far, Brock's tape has surpassed all other Niners QBs not named Young and Montana, that it's a disservice to keep comparing to Jimmy, Alex, Kap, Garcia, Lance

Amen!
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Since you brought up Jimmy lets talk about him, do you think he's pretty handsome or just above average? Brock Purdy isnt quite as handsome as Jimmy but idk.

Raiders message board is a quick google to answer your question.

Don't expect answers because they are fed up with him. LOL

LOL "Hey guys, so how bout that guy you paid all that money for, haven't been watching Raider games but how's he doin??" But yeah back to Purdy, you know who loves Purdy? Greg Cosell does, which means a hell of a lot more to me than all the talking heads out there who think that watching tape means some highlights were playing while they're eating chick-fil-a and now they know everything.

@ 9:00
[ Edited by KowboyKiller on Nov 30, 2023 at 1:12 PM ]
Greg Cosell said that he's really impressed with how quick Purdy processes what he sees when he comes to the line and then after the ball is snapped. He also thinks that he makes more good throws than many people realize.

Too many people continue to underrate Brock because they just can't wrap their head around the fact that he's performing better than any of the QBs drafted in the top 5 the year before him.

Colin Cowherd refers to the QB class of 2021 as the Covid class. Only Lawrence had a bonafide resume to justify being selected early. Lance, Fields, Jones and Wilson all padded their stats in the watered down Covid year when schedules were shortened and many players elected not to play.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Nov 30, 2023 at 1:23 PM ]
LOL "Hey guys, so how bout that guy you paid all that money for, haven't been watching Raider games but how's he doin??" But yeah back to Purdy, you know who loves Purdy? Greg Cosell does, which means a hell of a lot more to me than all the talking heads out there who think that watching tape means some highlights were playing while they're eating chick-fil-a and now they know everything.

It's another good point. Credible football analysts who break down film, like a Greg Cosell, JTO, or Chase Daniel, are giving Purdy his flowers.

Some TV talking heads on argument based/hot take shows are not. It's by design in many/all cases. They take opposite ends of casual arguments to generate attention and controversy from the largest fanbases in the game.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
It's probably best to just laugh it off at this point. Kyle is an elite coach/OC. Is he or his offense perfect? Of course not. It still needs competent QB play to make it work. But, it has proven that it can lift QBs play. Its also not a miracle worker that can make any s**tty QB good. If that were the case, then Lance would still be here, especially after all the capital wasted on him.

Yup.

What we finally have here is a good QB who isn't limited in his execution of the offense, and who also has some ability to make plays out of structure. Add in top tier weapons and it's one the most efficient offenses of all time.

Good QB, good scheme, good weapons. That's why the production is elite. Take away any of the three facets, and production will suffer.

Agree 💯

It's another good point. Credible football analysts who break down film, like a Greg Cosell, JTO, or Chase Daniel, are giving Purdy his flowers.

Some TV talking heads on argument based/hot take shows are not. It's by design in many/all cases. They take opposite ends of casual arguments to generate attention and controversy from the largest fanbases in the game.
You're right.

We can add Vermeil to the list.

It's probably best to just laugh it off at this point. Kyle is an elite coach/OC. Is he or his offense perfect? Of course not. It still needs competent QB play to make it work. But, it has proven that it can lift QBs play. Its also not a miracle worker that can make any s**tty QB good. If that were the case, then Lance would still be here, especially after all the capital wasted on him.

Yup.

What we finally have here is a good QB who isn't limited in his execution of the offense, and who also has some ability to make plays out of structure. Add in top tier weapons and it's one the most efficient offenses of all time.

Good QB, good scheme, good weapons. That's why the production is elite. Take away any of the three facets, and production will suffer.

The question that everyone should be asking themselves, specifically for the future is, how good is Brock in a vacuum?

Because I feel like a lot of fans had a conundrum when trying to figure out Kyle and Jimmy, it was essentially the chicken or the egg argument because of the various circumstances that lead to Kyle's win percentage with and without our previous QB.

Which led many to criticize our head coach far more than the previous QB. Both got blamed. But the point I'm making is a lot of people who were high on Jimmy, were low on Kyle, and vice versa.

Because of that, it seemed impossible to have rational conversations about Jimmy's play in a vacuum.

For example, I always thought Jimmy was a top 20 QB, who played like a top 10 guy in this offense.

With Purdy, I think he's around a top 10 QB, but he's playing like a top 3 QB in this offense.

For the record, I love what I'm seeing from Purdy. I think he has a chance to get even better. But its worth thinking about since we have this year and next essentially to figure it out.
  • Ruixx
  • Veteran

Because the game isn't until Sunday and people are bored.

Originally posted by Waterbear:
The question that everyone should be asking themselves, specifically for the future is, how good is Brock in a vacuum?

Because I feel like a lot of fans had a conundrum when trying to figure out Kyle and Jimmy, it was essentially the chicken or the egg argument because of the various circumstances that lead to Kyle's win percentage with and without our previous QB.

Which led many to criticize our head coach far more than the previous QB. Both got blamed. But the point I'm making is a lot of people who were high on Jimmy, were low on Kyle, and vice versa.

Because of that, it seemed impossible to have rational conversations about Jimmy's play in a vacuum.

For example, I always thought Jimmy was a top 20 QB, who played like a top 10 guy in this offense.

With Purdy, I think he's around a top 10 QB, but he's playing like a top 3 QB in this offense.

For the record, I love what I'm seeing from Purdy. I think he has a chance to get even better. But its worth thinking about since we have this year and next essentially to figure it out.

For the sake of conversation it could be interesting, but the good thing for us is that these guys don't play in a vacuum. For us, with great scheme, and playmakers, Brock produces like one of the best QB's in the game and we have an offense well suited to win a championship. That's all that really should matter.

It's not really all that matters to fans though. Having a QB to argue about is important to fans too. That's why you see people acting like someone f'd their wife/husband when someone in media says something they don't like about their guy, lol.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Trey Lance

Someone had to say it

I was not in favor of the move, but I can at least understand Shanahan's confidence in trading him away because he knew what he had..

Trey will be a good QB, just needs more reps!

He might, still angry seeing him in cowboys jersey. Still, it's very unlikely he'll ever be as good as Brock is right now.

I think Brock arm is very comparable in arm strength to Trey and Kaepernick. It's not weak by any standards in my opinion. He can gun it in there if he wants to, but he doesn't have to 99 times out of a 100, because of his elite anticipation and accuracy. This offense is all about throwing it over the LB's and in front of the DB's, and that requires touch and accuracy - so he really never has to show off his arm.
I think Brock arm is very comparable in arm strength to Trey and Kaepernick. It's not weak by any standards in my opinion. He can gun it in there if he wants to, but he doesn't have to 99 times out of a 100, because of his elite anticipation and accuracy. This offense is all about throwing it over the LB's and in front of the DB's, and that requires touch and accuracy - so he really never has to show off his arm.

Lol. I'd argue he's a more versatile thrower of the football than both of those guys, but arm strength by itself isn't close. Elite arm strength is just not that important is the key thing people should probably understand.
Originally posted by Waterbear:

The upside is even if he's really just a top 10 qb right now by the time we need him to be a top 3 guy to carry a bigger load he might be.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Lol. I'd argue he's a more versatile thrower of the football than both of those guys, but arm strength by itself isn't close. Elite arm strength is just not that important is the key thing people should probably understand.

Haha, I understand your point, but he was able to gun it to Kittle in the Redskin game - I think - just as well as Trey and Colin would have. That ball jumped out of his hands and zipped downfield. I just think a lot of people are underrating his arm strength because 99% of the time he's throwing with touch and timing. I think what denigrated his draft status was more his height and stupid turnovers in college than arm strength.
Share 49ersWebzone