LISTEN: This Isn't Kyle Shanahan's Year →

There are 318 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Greg Cosell is the opinion I respect the most over the years. He was right about Alex and Kap when at the time I didn't want to believe it but he was correct. I think the things he said about Trey were right as well, but it was all along the lines of saying he had great potential and showed some flashes of what could be. But due to injury and Brock beating him out, and his poor showing this preseason it didn't work out for him.

Cosell glowing about Brock is really really exciting because he is probably the most critical of all the legit analysts
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Ohhh I had to argue with people about it. Folks so dug in with their Lance takes that they had to s**t on Greg and his knowledge of the game. We can have disagreements, but when your argument is based around calling Greg Cosell bad at watching film/calling him bias…I can't take you seriously.

Regression to the NFL mean might happen
Plays poorly on the road
Has not played at an elite level
Will throw a lot of INTs because he had a lot of CouldaBeenInts last season
Has a weak arm and can't throw a good deep ball.

These are the takes of someone dug in on their QB preference.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Ohhh I had to argue with people about it. Folks so dug in with their Lance takes that they had to s**t on Greg and his knowledge of the game. We can have disagreements, but when your argument is based around calling Greg Cosell bad at watching film/calling him bias…I can't take you seriously.

Regression to the NFL mean might happen
Plays poorly on the road
Has not played at an elite level
Will throw a lot of INTs because he had a lot of CouldaBeenInts last season
Has a weak arm and can't throw a good deep ball.

These are the takes of someone dug in on their QB preference.

remember the short leash
and the Kirk will be here in 2024 prophecy
His arm is nowhere close Kap or Trey. I love what Brock is doing, but my god people let's keep s**t real lol.

Those guys lacked touch and accuracy and had slow releases. Those are arm traits.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Nov 30, 2023 at 3:50 PM ]
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
McDaniels is as good of a coach as Kyle now.

You tell us. You were predicting far more Jimmy success in Vegas all offseason.

I thought that Jimmy being able to play with more freedom would help him. Didn't realize how broken he actually was/is. Busted up body plus freedom to do whatever you want = a lot of turnovers.

Jimmy aside, McDaniels isn't in the same universe as Kyle.

Even though you and I dont agree on Jimmy, at least you try to answer questions like others dont. So I will ask you this. What part of Jimmy's skillset has diminished from last season to this season? Is his mobility less? Is he slower running? Can he not throw the ball as far? Can he not throw the ball with as much velocity?

When someone is considered broken down or washed up, you can clearly see the difference in athleticism and skillset. So what did you see out of him that was markedly different than last season, where he had arguably played at the highest level he had as a 49er?

I watched a couple of Raider games this year, and I'd say all of the above looked worse. But arm strength in particular. I mean he threw one fade to Adams that was about 10 yards short lol. Something is wrong with him. Maybe he spent the whole off season eating crackers and drinking wine, I don't know. But even Jimmy's worst critics cannot honestly say that he is the same QB that we had here. Kyle is good and gets the most out of his QB's, but he's not a damn wizard lol.

In the handful of Raider games I watched, Jimmy was doing the same things that he was doing with us that drove me crazy, just at a higher frequency. There was not a noticeable difference in arm strength to me, and I never once saw any analyst say or hear any broadcaster say there was a deterioration in it.

I agree with you that he wasnt performing like the same QB. He had much more freedom as a Raider, and the same mistakes he made as a 49er just happened substantially more often.
plenty of over throws also.. if that proof his arm is stronger lol

Yeah lots of air yards, which means he's being aggressive. You guys should love that.
please stay on topic of using asinine statements to prove nothing about diminished skill sets and broken down bodies

Please follow along with the discussion and topic, rather than constantly changing it. It will be easier for you to understand. Would also help if you used punctuation, capital letters where needed, etc. Hard to read your posts.

I thought that Jimmy being able to play with more freedom would help him. Didn't realize how broken he actually was/is. Busted up body plus freedom to do whatever you want = a lot of turnovers.

Even though you and I dont agree on Jimmy, at least you try to answer questions like others dont. So I will ask you this. What part of Jimmy's skillset has diminished from last season to this season? Is his mobility less? Is he slower running? Can he not throw the ball as far? Can he not throw the ball with as much velocity?

When someone is considered broken down or washed up, you can clearly see the difference in athleticism and skillset. So what did you see out of him that was markedly different than last season, where he had arguably played at the highest level he had as a 49er?

I watched a couple of Raider games this year, and I'd say all of the above looked worse. But arm strength in particular. I mean he threw one fade to Adams that was about 10 yards short lol. Something is wrong with him. Maybe he spent the whole off season eating crackers and drinking wine, I don't know. But even Jimmy's worst critics cannot honestly say that he is the same QB that we had here. Kyle is good and gets the most out of his QB's, but he's not a damn wizard lol.

In the handful of Raider games I watched, Jimmy was doing the same things that he was doing with us that drove me crazy, just at a higher frequency. There was not a noticeable difference in arm strength to me, and I never once saw any analyst say or hear any broadcaster say there was a deterioration in it.

I agree with you that he wasnt performing like the same QB. He had much more freedom as a Raider, and the same mistakes he made as a 49er just happened substantially more often.

Yeah lots of air yards, which means he's being aggressive. You guys should love that.
please stay on topic of using asinine statements to prove nothing about diminished skill sets and broken down bodies

Please follow along with the discussion and topic, rather than constantly changing it. It will be easier for you to understand. Would also help if you used punctuation, capital letters where needed, etc. Hard to read your posts.

When you are spinning fast as he does, you don't have time for capitalization
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

When you are spinning fast as he does, you don't have time for capitalization

• Furlow
  • Veteran
His arm is nowhere close Kap or Trey. I love what Brock is doing, but my god people let's keep s**t real lol.

Those guys lacked touch and accuracy and had slow releases. Those are arm traits.

Man I've been screaming this from the rafters since last season. So tired of people claiming that "arm talent" is only strength. Touch, accuracy, ability to throw from different angles, knowing when to throw a dart vs. an arching pass, etc. All of that is a part of "arm talent." Purdy has a VERY talented arm, he just doesn't have top arm strength. But that's the only category where he's lacking.
man if purdy outshines hurts in his own house the whole football world might as well crown purdy as the best QB in the nfl, and it's not even close!

Man I've been screaming this from the rafters since last season. So tired of people claiming that "arm talent" is only strength. Touch, accuracy, ability to throw from different angles, knowing when to throw a dart vs. an arching pass, etc. All of that is a part of "arm talent." Purdy has a VERY talented arm, he just doesn't have top arm strength. But that's the only category where he's lacking.

Agree he's got a really good arm even if he doesn't have elite arm strength.

Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
man if purdy outshines hurts in his own house the whole football world might as well crown purdy as the best QB in the nfl, and it's not even close!

I know a few talking heads that still won't give him any credit.
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:

I know a few talking heads that still won't give him any credit.

big game could spell MVP for BCB
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Greg Cosell is the opinion I respect the most over the years. He was right about Alex and Kap when at the time I didn't want to believe it but he was correct. I think the things he said about Trey were right as well, but it was all along the lines of saying he had great potential and showed some flashes of what could be. But due to injury and Brock beating him out, and his poor showing this preseason it didn't work out for him.

Cosell glowing about Brock is really really exciting because he is probably the most critical of all the legit analysts

Cosell is the best analyst in the business. Just keeps it about the film and what he sees. JTO could learn a thing or two from him.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Nov 30, 2023 at 4:29 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
big game could spell MVP for BCB

Gonna be tough with as well as CMac is playing. Pull votes from each other.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Nov 30, 2023 at 4:33 PM ]

Release time was never an issue. He had a funky delivery but got the ball out pretty damn quick. That pitching background.

Share 49ersWebzone