There are 377 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Eddie_D:
Naw Kaepernixk's release was slow as hell. To the point it was an advantage for defenders. Baseball pitchers have a long windup and so does Kaepernick. Pitchers aren't suppose to have a quick release.

Give me Purdy's arm. That arm is magical.

Can't believe people bringing up arm strength to diminish another QB when playing QB is more than that.

think Madden….purdy gets 85 for arm strength and overall rating of 93. Kaepernick and Lance get a 95 for arm strength with a 75 and 70 overall.

Purdy's arm is rated at 55 mph (I can't find the article where they had a radar gun on his arm prior to the draft) and Colin's arm is rated at 59 mpg. (so says google) So that's a 4 miles an hour difference. I think mathematically - that's about 7% slower than Colin's velocity. Purdy says his arm feels stronger now than what it was before he was injured - so I think I can say that maybe he's gained another couple of mph's on Colin. So I think I can reasonably say Colin's arm and Purdy's arm are *very comparable.*
How does one exactly get a strong arm in the first place? That's a lot of visits to the hub I imagine
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
How does one exactly get a strong arm in the first place? That's a lot of visits to the hub I imagine

Well Purdy's dad is a professional pitcher. So in terms of genetics, Purdy has that - then Purdy puts in the work to get that arm stronger. I'm betting Colin's put in the arm strength training to get his arm stronger (but not the film work) to get his passing skills up to speed. I was just perusing the various google articles about strength training the arm, it looks like there are exercises and techniques that help improve the arm strength and velocity - but the biggest factor I read is simply the athlete wanting to get his arm stronger and putting the effort to do so, or so it seems.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
i don't care about the physical measurables, just keep playing good ball

Works for me. If you can play you can play… no need to makeup stuff like his arm strength is comparable to guys like Lance/Kap though. Next they're gonna say he's as tall as Peyton Manning lol.
Originally posted by thl408:
Are you saying the checkdown was the primary? A checkdown is never the primary.

He's gonna die on this hill
Originally posted by Giedi:

Well Purdy's dad is a professional pitcher. So in terms of genetics, Purdy has that - then Purdy puts in the work to get that arm stronger. I'm betting Colin's put in the arm strength training to get his arm stronger (but not the film work) to get his passing skills up to speed. I was just perusing the various google articles about strength training the arm, it looks like there are exercises and techniques that help improve the arm strength and velocity - but the biggest factor I read is simply the athlete wanting to get his arm stronger and putting the effort to do so, or so it seems.

Arm strength is a god given ability. Same s**t with being fast.

You can obviously work on it with training and mechanics, but end of the day some people have stronger arms and can run faster than other people.

As far as Brock goes, he's shown this year he can make all the throws you need to win. He's never gonna have a cannon, but that's fine.
Purdy's arm is rated at 55 mph (I can't find the article where they had a radar gun on his arm prior to the draft) and Colin's arm is rated at 59 mpg. (so says google) So that's a 4 miles an hour difference. I think mathematically - that's about 7% slower than Colin's velocity. Purdy says his arm feels stronger now than what it was before he was injured - so I think I can say that maybe he's gained another couple of mph's on Colin. So I think I can reasonably say Colin's arm and Purdy's arm are *very comparable.*

people keep posting this like it means something. If that's the case Colt McCoy has a stronger arm than guys like Herbert and Flacco. Velocity test a pointless and don't mean much in real life football.

No Kap and Brock do not have comparable arm strengths no matter how hard you try to fudge up numbers…it's a bad take. You should just leave it at that.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by Furlow:
This throw is very aggressive, we all agree. Kyle's aggressiveness (design) or Purdy's (guts, decision making)? 👀

That is one play. That play is NOT indicative of even what Brock normally does. Brock has gotten to first in the league in completed air yards almost entirely IN STRUCTURE, via deep ins, deep outs, and deep crossing routes—all schemed and all within structure. He makes about one or two of those risky throws per game. The overwhelming majority of his production comes within the typical evolution of the play. And even that play in hindsight was not outside of structure. It was just preternatural anticipation and accuracy. THE PLAY ITSELF does not exclude that throw. I mean jesus christ. The route is ENTIRELY VALID as an option for the QB in and of itself. The reason Kyle was surprised he threw it was because of the COVERAGE. The coverage would have forced a perfect pass for that to work. But different coverages with THE EXACT SAME PLAY CALL that route would have been wide open and the clear and obvious correct choice.

I mean how is this so difficult to understand?

Thank you for confirming that it was Purdy's aggressiveness and not Kyle's. You know damn well it's not just one throw. He turned down an easy slant to Aiyuk to chuck a bomb to Kittle, TD. He threw a long fade TD to Aiyuk on a clear out route. He is an aggressive QB that is expanding Kyle's offense. He even makes Kye "hold his breath."

All the playcaller can do is call the play really. It is up to the players to execute the play that is called. I guess Kyle could have told Brock to throw it to Kittle no matter what but that is not how things work. The coverage dictates where the ball goes and when you have Kittle matched up 1v1 outside with a linebacker, you take that matchup all day long. The pump fake to Aiyuk on the slant was to keep that safety in the middle of the field. You and I have no idea whether Kyle drew it up that way or not. All we know is that the players on the field executed and it turned into a huge TD play.
I think the decision-making on that play was a lot simpler by Purdy than people think (and that's a good thing!).

There are players with good depth who have a chance to defend, but Purdy is super-confident in his layered throws and has shown time and again he can measure those arcs well. None of the shallower defenders are going to get near a long pass because Aiyuk is already beyond them and in stride.

The only two defenders with any chance to affect the deep ball are the cornerback tracking Aiyuk and the deep safety.

Brock stares down the safety, and when he takes a step to his right to cover Kittle's run, even though he keeps his body and eyes open, Purdy knows he has no opportunity to recover.

The throw is one-on-one - Aiyuk versus the cornerback. That's a matchup that Purdy really likes, and he throws him a ton of stuff before he's even gotten leverage on his man.

If anything, I think Purdy leads him just a touch too much, giving the safety a chance to get back into contention. But that also gave Brandon the momentum to crash into the endzone so - hey ho.

Originally posted by NYniner85:

people keep posting this like it means something. If that's the case Colt McCoy has a stronger arm than guys like Herbert and Flacco. Velocity test a pointless and don't mean much in real life football.

No Kap and Brock do not have comparable arm strengths no matter how hard you try to fudge up numbers…it's a bad take. You should just leave it at that.

Originally posted by 49erKing:

Bro had a Howitzer 🔥

Arm strength is a god given ability. Same s**t with being fast.

You can obviously work on it with training and mechanics, but end of the day some people have stronger arms and can run faster than other people.

As far as Brock goes, he's shown this year he can make all the throws you need to win. He's never gonna have a cannon, but that's fine.

Agreed. While no cannon, it's certainly a good enough arm.

I'd much prefer his elite processing and ability to throw dimes with anticipation. These are traits that are also "god-given" and much more important to playing the position at a high level.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by NCommand:
"The zone coverages guys were so deep."

Yup, hence why the primary was wide open in the middle of the field all alone long before Aiyuk would be open. Hell, he probably would have scored too. Great play call there.

Charlie freaking Woerner wasn't the primary.

Kyle tells you right here that the coverage was so deep so you'd normally go to the checkdown for 12+...hence, he becomes the primary there based on the deep coverage.

He was also wide open well before Aiyuk and might have scored himself. IMHO, this is Brock just making up his mind pre snap, he's going for it. And it worked out.

https://youtube.com/shorts/qDkYfCz90Nc?si=ChEy7buWsju_5t-I
  • thl408
Originally posted by Chance:
Agreed. While no cannon, it's certainly a good enough arm.

I'd much prefer his elite processing and ability to throw dimes with anticipation. These are traits that are also "god-given" and much more important to playing the position at a high level.

Agreed. A cannon arm might come in handy 2-3 times a game. An elite mental game comes in handy every single dropback.
Share 49ersWebzone