There are 349 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Chance:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
How does one exactly get a strong arm in the first place? That's a lot of visits to the hub I imagine

Well Purdy's dad is a professional pitcher. So in terms of genetics, Purdy has that - then Purdy puts in the work to get that arm stronger. I'm betting Colin's put in the arm strength training to get his arm stronger (but not the film work) to get his passing skills up to speed. I was just perusing the various google articles about strength training the arm, it looks like there are exercises and techniques that help improve the arm strength and velocity - but the biggest factor I read is simply the athlete wanting to get his arm stronger and putting the effort to do so, or so it seems.

Arm strength is a god given ability. Same s**t with being fast.

You can obviously work on it with training and mechanics, but end of the day some people have stronger arms and can run faster than other people.

As far as Brock goes, he's shown this year he can make all the throws you need to win. He's never gonna have a cannon, but that's fine.

Agreed. While no cannon, it's certainly a good enough arm.

I'd much prefer his elite processing and ability to throw dimes with anticipation. These are traits that are also "god-given" and much more important to playing the position at a high level.

I think elite processing and anticipation far outweigh elite arm strength. Arm strength only seems to be a factor when a QB is late on his throws.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
i don't care about the physical measurables, just keep playing good ball

Works for me. If you can play you can play… no need to makeup stuff like his arm strength is comparable to guys like Lance/Kap though. Next they're gonna say he's as tall as Peyton Manning lol.
Purdy is the tallest 6'1'' QB to play the game !
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Regression to the NFL mean might happen
Plays poorly on the road
Has not played at an elite level
Will throw a lot of INTs because he had a lot of CouldaBeenInts last season
Has a weak arm and can't throw a good deep ball.

These are the takes of someone dug in on their QB preference.

These were all fair takes for a kid that only played a couple games. Ya'll were calling him Joe Montana after a couple games because that's what you wanted…I said he would throw more INTs because yes he did have a ton of dropped INTs. His arm isn't great. Never said that means he would suck. In fact I went out of my way to point that out. You they wayyyy too hard man.

my takes have ALWAYS been able to change as their games progressed. I never have to jump all in (or out) on someone over a couple games…unlike a f**k ton of people.

I had said that he had been playing like prime Montana, which he had been. That's what the tape showed up to that point. You got all butthurt that someone would invoke Montana's name when describing the quality of Purdy's play, then proceeded to invoke guys like Nick Foles and Tyler Heinecke. All Purdy has done this year is to continue to play the game at an elite level, even breaking records of guys like Prime Montana, solidifying that he is indeed playing the game at a comparable level. It's always been a question of whether he can maintain this play, which aside from an up and down three game stretch, he has.

Learn how to take the L my dude.
Originally posted by thl408:

I'd much prefer his elite processing and ability to throw dimes with anticipation. These are traits that are also "god-given" and much more important to playing the position at a high level.

Agreed. A cannon arm might come in handy 2-3 times a game. An elite mental game comes in handy every single dropback.

100%. Football IQ, processing, accuracy, timing, phonebooth mobility and feel, instincts, etc. is 95% of becoming an elite QB over more athletic cannon arm QB's. Brock is elite in all that matters and he's able to make all of the throws you need in this offense minus a couple make-up throws.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
"The zone coverages guys were so deep."

Yup, hence why the primary was wide open in the middle of the field all alone long before Aiyuk would be open. Hell, he probably would have scored too. Great play call there.

Charlie freaking Woerner wasn't the primary.

Kyle tells you right here that the coverage was so deep so you'd normally go to the checkdown for 12+...hence, he becomes the primary there based on the deep coverage.

He was also wide open well before Aiyuk and might have scored himself. IMHO, this is Brock just making up his mind pre snap, he's going for it. And it worked out.

https://youtube.com/shorts/qDkYfCz90Nc?si=ChEy7buWsju_5t-I

I don't agree that Brock made up his mind. In fact, the evidence of his previous play suggests that simply saw that Aiyuk was going to be open, which he was. From Jyle's vantage it probably looked like a more dangerous pass than it was, hence why he held his breath on a window that was far more open than some of the tighter windows Brock sees open. Woerner was not the primary, sorry and most definitely would not score from there.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
"The zone coverages guys were so deep."

Yup, hence why the primary was wide open in the middle of the field all alone long before Aiyuk would be open. Hell, he probably would have scored too. Great play call there.

Charlie freaking Woerner wasn't the primary.

Kyle tells you right here that the coverage was so deep so you'd normally go to the checkdown for 12+...hence, he becomes the primary there based on the deep coverage.

He was also wide open well before Aiyuk and might have scored himself. IMHO, this is Brock just making up his mind pre snap, he's going for it. And it worked out.

https://youtube.com/shorts/qDkYfCz90Nc?si=ChEy7buWsju_5t-I

I don't agree that Brock made up his mind. In fact, the evidence of his previous play suggests that simply saw that Aiyuk was going to be open, which he was. From Jyle's vantage it probably looked like a more dangerous pass than it was, hence why he held his breath on a window that was far more open than some of the tighter windows Brock sees open. Woerner was not the primary, sorry and most definitely would not score from there.

Oh I'm not saying it was the wrong choice. He knew he could make it. But with deep coverage there and only 2 routes, Kyle is telling you why he expected the Woerner route (safer route based on the deep coverage). But with Brock, everything is on the table and he's proven it. All in all, it was probably a TD either way (or close to the GL) so it was also an excellent call ATM. Great all around. We're only talking semantics on who the primary was, could have been, should have been, etc. based on the pre snap coverage. No biggie. I would have been happy with either.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 1, 2023 at 7:41 AM ]
Originally posted by YACBros85:
I think elite processing and anticipation far outweigh elite arm strength. Arm strength only seems to be a factor when a QB is late on his throws.

For sure I agree there.

The issue is not every single play is gonna be perfectly executed by everyone and the D is gonna do their thing as well…being able to extend and use that arm strength when you can't step into throws is a massive plus imo. There's guys that can process and know where to go with the ball, they just don't have the arm talent to make the play.

being able to throw a rope into tight windows makes things drastically harder to defend.

all the tools in the tool belt are important. I don't think anyone is saying arm strength is #1.
  • thl408

Agreed. A cannon arm might come in handy 2-3 times a game. An elite mental game comes in handy every single dropback.

100%. Football IQ, processing, accuracy, timing, phonebooth mobility and feel, instincts, etc. is 95% of becoming an elite QB over more athletic cannon arm QB's. Brock is elite in all that matters and he's able to make all of the throws you need in this offense minus a couple make-up throws.

If there was another quality to have in this day and age, it's the short area phone booth mobility. No need to rip off 30 yard runs, when escaping pressure to find an open WR does the job just fine. Combine that type of mobility with a bunch of YAC guys and that presents a slew of problems for the defense. Play good coverage while pressuring Brock, still no guarantee that the defense wins the down.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by Furlow:
It's not just you. No idea why he's allowed to troll to the degree that he does. Quite strange.

Let's talk football??

Have they been about-equally aggressive players on the field of play in the NFL in your view?

I'm all for substance,...you just seem to skip over it at every opportunity.

Brutal honesty Trolling

You just wish it were.

You and honesty? And substance? Lol stop it.

No reply? Case-in-point.
lol he will reply with an insult. thats the extent of his football knowledge

I've forgotten more about football than random or you know, that is for sure. 90% of your posts offer absolutely nothing of substance, and your arguments are constantly changing.

As QB's get older and their physical gifts diminish, these attributes are even more important for their longevity to keep playing beyond 32+!

If there was another quality to have in this day and age, it's the short area phone booth mobility. No need to rip off 30 yard runs when escaping pressure to find an open WR does the job just fine. Combine that type of mobility with a bunch of YAC guys and that presents a slew of problems for the defense. Play good coverage while pressuring Brock, still no guarantee that the defense wins the down.

Yeah, that's one of my favorite skill sets. Just that feel, instinct, eyes-in-the-back of their head, etc. It's annoying as hell for pass rushers (Russell Wilson in his prime), but critical for staying on and off schedule. Some guys just have "it" and it's obvious when they don't.
Originally posted by BrockIsHim:

As QB's get older and their physical gifts diminish, these attributes are even more important for their longevity to keep playing beyond 32+!

Oh for sure!
Originally posted by BrockIsHim:

Oh for sure!

..and having a great oline helps with that longevity as well
Oh I'm not saying it was the wrong choice. He knew he could make it. But with deep coverage there and only 2 routes, Kyle is telling you why he expected the Woerner route (safer route based on the deep coverage). But with Brock, everything is on the table and he's proven it. All in all, it was probably a TD either way (or close to the GL) so it was also an excellent call ATM. Great all around. We're only talking semantics on who the primary was, could have been, should have been, etc. based on the pre snap coverage. No biggie. I would have been happy with either.

There's no semantic debate. Woerner was never the primary. Kyle thought from his vantage point, without the benefit of the all 22, that the coverage was too tight and it dictated a throw to Woerner. Brock saw it differently from his vantage point. Once Kyle sees the film and see what Brock saw he'd undoubtedly have a different take.
I had said that he had been playing like prime Montana, which he had been. That's what the tape showed up to that point. You got all butthurt that someone would invoke Montana's name when describing the quality of Purdy's play, then proceeded to invoke guys like Nick Foles and Tyler Heinecke. All Purdy has done this year is to continue to play the game at an elite level, even breaking records of guys like Prime Montana, solidifying that he is indeed playing the game at a comparable level. It's always been a question of whether he can maintain this play, which aside from an up and down three game stretch, he has.

Learn how to take the L my dude.

Brock's tape showed a kid that would make some quality plays and had more than a handful of bad reads, under throws and dropped INTs last yr. I said his play last yr wasn't sustainable at that level. I said some of those dropped INTs would become picks and they did over our 0-3 stretch. There's film of it…unless you just blacked that out of your memory?

You automatically tossed out GOAT comparisons and I provided examples of dudes that went on stretches of good plays, even won a Super Bowl but couldn't maintain it long-term. I have no idea what Brock will be long-term. Neither do you!

I've been nothing but positive of Brock this yr. I would LOVE if he turned into Montana.

you want to call him the second coming of Joe, that's fine. Don't get bent out of shape when someone pushes back on that kind of take… if there's anyone that can take a L it's me…you're acting like he's Joe already by saying that and imo that's pretty f**king disrespectful to Joe.
Share 49ersWebzone