There are 252 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Kirk Cousins doesn't have a bad arm. Why are you bringing him up.
I think Brock has been the best passer in the league and is showing his arm is among the best in the NFL overall.

So, you have moved on from his arm being passable to one component of throwing being passable. Accuracy and touch matter.

Because you brought up stats to backup arm strength. He had some of the best deep ball stats while at DC….so because of those stats do you think his arm is elite? Mahomes doesn't have great deep ball stats this yr…does that mean he doesn't have a strong arm?
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
No question he's accurate but I don't look at passer rating as anything special. JG had a high passer rating and all he did was throw 5 yards past the line of scrimmage. It's a bad stat. QBR is a better measure. I believe most of the stat geeks look at anything longer than 20 yards s a deep pass. Maybe it's 25. Any QB in the NFL can throw that far. It's his accuracy and quick decisions and intelligence that make him good. Not his arm strength, size or speed.

What measure of deep passing takes Brock out of the top tier?

His arms is strong enough to be the best deep passer in the NFL this year.

Nobody is saying he's not really good. The question of arm strength is one reason a 4 year starter was passed over in the draft. You can be very good and not have an elite arm Joe Montana wasn't an elite arm talent but he was accurate and knew where to throw the ball. That's what counts. There's no way Brock's arm strength compares with Mahomes, Allen, Herbert and probably Burrow. He's not going to throw a ball 50 yards on a rope. Then again he doesn't need to. His arm strength is good enough and that's what's important. By the way, most teams don't throw the ball 50 yards in the air unless they have a burner like Tyreek Hill or they're behind late and desperate for a quick score.

If they tested actual arm strength to see how far and what velocity Purdy has I would guess he would be in the middle or maybe a little above. I'm talking strictly about how far and fast you can throw. Not how well you can throw. Those are 2 different things. I doubt he's offended by comments like that. He knows his strengths like all good players do.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Kind of answered one of my questions; "We won't know it's a real issue until it is." Pretty much every poster in here besides you feels that it isn't and won't ever be an issue. In what situation do you feel it would be an issue? Because the only thing I can think of is we need a TD and we need a hail mary from our own 40-45. Other than that, what is your concern?

You didn't answer my other question; do you think we should be drafting and looking for Purdy's replacement (a QB with elite physical talent)?

Mahomes won a SB off of his arm talent on a 3rd & 15 play vs us. Those situations will happen and hopefully he does it. He has yet to be put in a real situation where we're playing behind and need a big play to win.

What does your second question have to do with what we're talking about? I never said he sucks and needs to be replaced. That's the problem with debating with some of you…if it's not all 100% positive that means I don't like them and they need to be replaced. I keep saying he's got other great meaningful qualities. His arm strength isn't one, which is okay. It's also okay to acknowledge it without people having a fit over it.
Air yards?

Brock leads the league in a lot more passing categories than that.

By what measure is Brock's arm merely passable?

And Kirk lead the league in all kinds of downfield metrics when in DC. Did you think his arm was elite?

So whose arm is weaker in the NFL right now than Brock's? I would love to see your list of overall arm strength.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 1, 2023 at 1:42 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Brock doesn't have a special arm or anything but his "arm talent" is more than enough. He def doesn't hold him back, it just doesn't make it where he can be late all the time and still fit the ball in like a Mahommes/Allen. Most guys don't have that kind of arm, it's rare. It's even rarer to see a guy with that kind of arm and the rest of Brock's traits.

I'll take Brock's traits and his current arm than a much better arm and worse traits. Lol

having great "arm talent" has to be one of the most overrated aspects of evaluating a qb ever, IMO. It's almost like saying a guy has a great 40, so he has great leg talent. Lol so much more to running great routes and creating space than being fast.

Good analogy with the 40 time and how running good routes is so much more than just being fast. Rice wasn't 4.3 but he made all his routes look the same. His release off the line was elite.

Brock isn't throwing 60mph but he can layer his throws, throws with elite anticipation and accuracy.

I've seen Brock make a 12 yard Out from the far hash. It's on the menu for him and that's good enough for me.

40 time is a GREAT analogy. Would much rather have Ed Reed and his 4.6 40 than Taylor Mays and his 4.4 40.

And yet we have people in here tossing out Brock's MPH as proof to him having a strong arm?

again for me I never said it was a noodle arm. I said it was ridiculous for anyone to say his arm strength is on par with Kap/lance, because it's not.

I also agree processing, accuracy and anticipation are all more important traits.
Who cares about arm strength. I have yet to see Brock's arm limit this offense. The only time I can see it being an issue is if he is throwing a 65 yard desparation hail mary. How many times have we seen the hail mary pass under a Kyle Shanahan run offense? I am actually curious to know.
Arm strength? Purdy is middle of the pack at best.....it's a great thing for him and for Niner fans that he has a lot figured out before he takes the snap. He'll never be able to wow you with a Josh Allen throw, but he largely makes up for it with the other intangibles that make up a good QB.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Brock doesn't have a special arm or anything but his "arm talent" is more than enough. He def doesn't hold him back, it just doesn't make it where he can be late all the time and still fit the ball in like a Mahommes/Allen. Most guys don't have that kind of arm, it's rare. It's even rarer to see a guy with that kind of arm and the rest of Brock's traits.

I'll take Brock's traits and his current arm than a much better arm and worse traits. Lol

having great "arm talent" has to be one of the most overrated aspects of evaluating a qb ever, IMO. It's almost like saying a guy has a great 40, so he has great leg talent. Lol so much more to running great routes and creating space than being fast.

Good analogy with the 40 time and how running good routes is so much more than just being fast. Rice wasn't 4.3 but he made all his routes look the same. His release off the line was elite.

Brock isn't throwing 60mph but he can layer his throws, throws with elite anticipation and accuracy.

I've seen Brock make a 12 yard Out from the far hash. It's on the menu for him and that's good enough for me.

40 time is a GREAT analogy. Would much rather have Ed Reed and his 4.6 40 than Taylor Mays and his 4.4 40.

And yet we have people in here tossing out Brock's MPH as proof to him having a strong arm?

again for me I never said it was a noodle arm. I said it was ridiculous for anyone to say his arm strength is on par with Kap/lance, because it's not.

I also agree processing, accuracy and anticipation are all more important traits.

I mean your stance has softened quite a bit. While it would take hours to comb through previous posts to determine if you used the word "noodle" or not, you clearly implied that his arm was a liability and bottom of the barrel in the league. Brock has proven its absolutely not a liability, even if it's not a cannon. Again, learn how to take an L and you'd probably get less dudes on your case.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Kind of answered one of my questions; "We won't know it's a real issue until it is." Pretty much every poster in here besides you feels that it isn't and won't ever be an issue. In what situation do you feel it would be an issue? Because the only thing I can think of is we need a TD and we need a hail mary from our own 40-45. Other than that, what is your concern?

You didn't answer my other question; do you think we should be drafting and looking for Purdy's replacement (a QB with elite physical talent)?

Mahomes won a SB off of his arm talent on a 3rd & 15 play vs us. Those situations will happen and hopefully he does it. He has yet to be put in a real situation where we're playing behind and need a big play to win.

What does your second question have to do with what we're talking about? I never said he sucks and needs to be replaced. That's the problem with debating with some of you…if it's not all 100% positive that means I don't like them and they need to be replaced. I keep saying he's got other great meaningful qualities. His arm strength isn't one, which is okay. It's also okay to acknowledge it without people having a fit over it.

Any QB in the NFL could have made that throw, it was a broken coverage and Hill was wide open. That play was more about Mahomes buying time and the refs not calling holding on Bosa.

And the second question has everything to do with what we're talking about. You don't have to say he's perfect, no one thinks that. But posters (myself included) don't think you're sold on Purdy. So you can clear the air by saying that you think he has everything that we need to win the Super Bowl.
Any QB in the NFL could have made that throw, it was a broken coverage and Hill was wide open. That play was more about Mahomes buying time and the refs not calling holding on Bosa.

And the second question has everything to do with what we're talking about. You don't have to say he's perfect, no one thinks that. But posters (myself included) don't think you're sold on Purdy. So you can clear the air by saying that you think he has everything that we need to win the Super Bowl.

Tread carefully, earlier in the year NY finally gave his seal of approval and Purdy proceeded to have the worst stretch of his career. Why rock the boat?

• Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Who cares about arm strength. I have yet to see Brock's arm limit this offense. The only time I can see it being an issue is if he is throwing a 65 yard desparation hail mary. How many times have we seen the hail mary pass under a Kyle Shanahan run offense? I am actually curious to know.

Exactly this. Arm strength is important to the point that the QB can make all of the throws, including a deep out from the opposite hash - which Purdy does routinely. Whether a QB can throw a 50 yard hail mary or a 70 yard hail mary is as close to irrelevant as you can get.
I don't recall you saying noodle arm, but you definitely said it was bottom tier (I think you said bottom 3-5 in the league) and correct me if I'm wrong - felt that his lack of arm strength would cost us games and possibly a chance at winning the Super Bowl. That was a big point you made about Jimmy; that his physical limitations would hold the offense back from being elite. Do you still feel this way about Purdy? Do you still think that we should be drafting and looking for a QB with elite physical gifts, to replace Purdy?

The reason you get some much s**t in here is because despite praising Purdy (which you do), you find a way to bring up his lack of elite arm strength as if it's something he has to overcome. After this many games, I simply do not see any possible way that arm strength is an issue for him.

• Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Chance:

Tread carefully, earlier in the year NY finally gave his seal of approval and Purdy proceeded to have the worst stretch of his career. Why rock the boat?

I don't recall this. But if that's the case, then why the barrage of posts about lack of arm strength this week?
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Every NFL QB can't there ball downfield. Velocity and strength is what was being discussed. Someone actually saying he's on part with Kap/lance, which is just nonsense.

Overall he isn't dogs**t there. He's also not top end of the league, nor is it a positive trait. I'd say his arm is comparable to say Andy Dalton. Not amazing not awful.
I don't recall you saying noodle arm, but you definitely said it was bottom tier (I think you said bottom 3-5 in the league) and correct me if I'm wrong - felt that his lack of arm strength would cost us games and possibly a chance at winning the Super Bowl. That was a big point you made about Jimmy; that his physical limitations would hold the offense back from being elite. Do you still feel this way about Purdy? Do you still think that we should be drafting and looking for a QB with elite physical gifts, to replace Purdy?

The reason you get some much s**t in here is because despite praising Purdy (which you do), you find a way to bring up his lack of elite arm strength as if it's something he has to overcome. After this many games, I simply do not see any possible way that arm strength is an issue for him.

if anyone actually thinks his arm is an issue for him, they either never watched him play or just flat out don't know s**t about football
Share 49ersWebzone