There are 254 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Furlow:
He definitely can't throw it as fast as Kaep or Trey, that's true. But Kaep and Trey both had/have really long throwing motions. So if you actually timed all three of them from the start of their windup to the ball hitting the WR, I would expect that Purdy would be ahead of both of them on all throws besides fade routes. Purdy's release is incredibly quick and that cuts down on valuable time to get the ball into the WR's hands.

That has nothing to do with arm strength. We're not talking about release time. Jimmy has the fast release in the league…so what his arm strength is on par with those guys because of that? No that's not true. Plain and simple.

This is like telling me Greg Maddox has the same arm strength as Randy Johnson because of their different mechanics.

I didn't say Purdy or Jimmy had the same arm strength as those guys. I said Purdy's release is way faster, so he can get the ball to the WR likely faster than Trey or Kaep (because of their long throwing motions). And no, it's nothing like baseball, because the batter has to wait for the pitch. Defenders in the NFL do not have to wait for the QB to release the football.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Yea. But my question was how many times has Kyle even called a hail mary pass in his career? DB's get burnt week in and week out. How many hail mary passes do you see around the league on a weekly basis? Doesn't seem comparable to me.

A Hail Mary has nothing to do with arm strength. Every NFL QB can throw the ball 50 yards. If they can't, then they're not in the league. I have friends thay can toss a rainbow ball in the air 50+ yards.

Arm strength is velocity of a pass in live action. it's being able to throw a ball off balance on a rope. It's throwing into tight window with heat. I will say Brock has made throws that have given me much more confidence in his abilities there, I also don't think his arm strength is anything special. Very Andy Daltonish. Which is fine because like you said there are other traits that take precedence over arm talent/strength.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 1, 2023 at 2:53 PM ]
Originally posted by Furlow:
I didn't say Purdy or Jimmy had the same arm strength as those guys. I said Purdy's release is way faster, so he can get the ball to the WR likely faster than Trey or Kaep (because of their long throwing motions). And no, it's nothing like baseball, because the batter has to wait for the pitch. Defenders in the NFL do not have to wait for the QB to release the football.

Purdy's release isn't fast either IMO. It's not the big wind-up that you see from Lance, but I wouldn't describe Lance as having high end arm talent… he could throw it really hard with space to go through his whole motion.

Purdy is going to be a great qb because of his intelligence and fundamentals at the position. Good footwork, good processing ability, good vision/recognition etc.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Purdy's release isn't fast either IMO. It's not the big wind-up that you see from Lance, but I wouldn't describe Lance as having high end arm talent… he could throw it really hard with space to go through his whole motion.

Purdy is going to be a great qb because of his intelligence and fundamentals at the position. Good footwork, good processing ability, good vision/recognition etc.

Exactly! Again there's been plenty of QBs with meh arms that have been great. For whatever reason people can't fathom that their QB isn't a 10 out of 10 in every QB trait. My god folks are too sensitive about it.

FWIW I agree Brock's release isn't fast either. It's not Kap long though.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 1, 2023 at 2:56 PM ]
  • thl408

Exactly! Again there's been plenty of QBs with meh arms that have been great. For whatever reason people can't fathom that their QB isn't a 10 out of 10 in every QB trait. My god folks are too sensitive about it.

Oh so now his arm is meh? Wait, what's better, passable or meh? I think it goes soggy noodle, firm noodle, meh, passable, not plus, average, above average, plus, elite, bazooka, howitzer. I'm just teasing, NY, this post doesn't deserve a response.
I think elite processing and anticipation far outweigh elite arm strength. Arm strength only seems to be a factor when a QB is late on his throws.

When you have the stars we have catching the ball...no doubt about it!!

But then the obvious question is what happens when you do not?
Originally posted by thl408:

Oh so now his arm is meh? Wait, what's better, passable or meh? I think it goes soggy noodle, firm noodle, meh, passable, not plus, average, above average, plus, elite, bazooka, howitzer. I'm just teasing, NY, this post doesn't deserve a response.

Are you teasing or just messing with him?
It's not a plus, overall Brock won't ever be known as a guy with a strong arm. Not sure how many times I have to say that. That doesn't mean I think he sucks or can't be successful.

Lance/Kap have vastly stronger arms…this shouldn't be some wild take.
Every NFL QB can't there ball downfield. Velocity and strength is what was being discussed. Someone actually saying he's on part with Kap/lance, which is just nonsense.

Overall he isn't dogs**t there. He's also not top end of the league, nor is it a positive trait. I'd say his arm is comparable to say Andy Dalton. Not amazing not awful.

LOL at the Lance deaperation.
Originally posted by thl408:

Al Dente 4 MVP
Yea. But my question was how many times has Kyle even called a hail mary pass in his career? DB's get burnt week in and week out. How many hail mary passes do you see around the league on a weekly basis? Doesn't seem comparable to me.

A Hail Mary has nothing to do with arm strength. Every NFL QB can throw the ball 50 yards. If they can't, then they're not in the league. I have friends thay can toss a rainbow ball in the air 50+ yards.

Arm strength is velocity of a pass in live action. it's being able to throw a ball off balance on a rope. It's throwing into tight window with heat. I will say Brock has made throws that have given me much more confidence in his abilities there, I also don't think his arm strength is anything special. Very Andy Daltonish. Which is fine because like you said there are other traits that take precedence over arm talent/strength.

Would you grade Brock's pass to Kittle against the Jaguars with zero pocket and no follow through a + or a -? How about the many meduim range outs and deep crossers thrown from the opposite hash? Would you grade those passes a + or a -? Can you give me 1 pass that showed less than a + arm? It seems like you are coming up with a fake scenario that may never happen to hold onto your "only Knock" on Brock. Its weird to focus so hard on something that hasn't even been an issue and chances are never will be.

I did and have said a ton of positive s**t about him….again for the 100th time I called out a poster that said he was on the same level as Kap/Lance as far as arm strength goes and I said stop it. Saying his arm strength isn't amazing doesn't NOT equal me saying he sucks as a QB or I hate him.

it's like me saying Anquan Boldin isn't fast. It's true but he was still f**king good.

You said he had a passable arm that can get the job done. You never specified arm strength, we were talking about arm quality.
  • thl408
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
I did and have said a ton of positive s**t about him….again for the 100th time I called out a poster that said he was on the same level as Kap/Lance as far as arm strength goes and I said stop it. Saying his arm strength isn't amazing doesn't NOT equal me saying he sucks as a QB or I hate him.

it's like me saying Anquan Boldin isn't fast. It's true but he was still f**king good.

You said he had a passable arm that can get the job done. You never specified arm strength, we were talking about arm quality.

'Arm quality', that's a new one. Let's define that.
Hope they dial up that exact same play that he got injured on first play….but pick up the block this time
Originally posted by Chance:
I mean your stance has softened quite a bit. While it would take hours to comb through previous posts to determine if you used the word "noodle" or not, you clearly implied that his arm was a liability [/i]and bottom of the barrel in the league. Brock has proven its absolutely not a liability, even if it's not a cannon. Again, learn how to take an L and you'd probably get less dudes on your case.

And he will regress to the mean of all NFL qbs.

And he will throw a lot of INTs.

And his road stats suck.
  • thl408
On a scale of 1 to 5, I give Brock's 'Arm Quality' two thumbs up.
Share 49ersWebzone