There are 225 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by elguapo:
Yeah, at this point guys just know that NY was wrong. Bottom line. Backpedaling or saying, I'm allowed to change my opinion is all good and well as long as you admit that your opinion was wrong in the first place. He certainly has not regressed to the mean he has gotten better. It should be an easy thing to admit, but then again people don't like admitting when they're wrong. It's not a big deal. At least NY supports Purdy, even if he takes jabs at his arm strength. You don't see any respectable analyst saying that kind of stuff about Purdy, They just admire how great he has been

What am I wrong about it backpedaling? His arm strength isn't a plus. Doesn't mean I doubt him as a starting QB in the league or he can't be successful
Originally posted by NYniner85:
And yet we have people in here tossing out Brock's MPH as proof to him having a strong arm?

again for me I never said it was a noodle arm. I said it was ridiculous for anyone to say his arm strength is on par with Kap/lance, because it's not.

I also agree processing, accuracy and anticipation are all more important traits.

You remember all the way back to 2021?
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by Furlow:
To me it feels like NY is leaving just enough room to say "I told you so" if Purdy and the Niners come up short and don't win the Super Bowl. He still hasn't answered if he thinks we should be looking for Purdy's replacement, which to me means he thinks we should be.

I think it's pretty obvious he has his doubts. Plus I'm pretty sure his expectations of what would be expected of Purdy is warped by what happened with Lance (ie the short-leash argument, and we don't have time to develop any* QB etc).

Personally think it's ok to have doubts. However if you think Purdy has to win the Super Bowl this year or it's time to look elsewhere, you're crazy.

Without a doubt. I was pulling as hard as anyone for Trey because I knew how much Jimmy was holding this offense back and wanted a true FQB. Well, we have one now, and Purdy is proving it every game.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
LOL at the Lance deaperation.

For what saying he has a stronger arm then Brock…if you can't be objective then just say it, next you're gonna say brock's arm is as strong as Elway because he plays for SF.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Yea. But my question was how many times has Kyle even called a hail mary pass in his career? DB's get burnt week in and week out. How many hail mary passes do you see around the league on a weekly basis? Doesn't seem comparable to me.

A Hail Mary has nothing to do with arm strength. Every NFL QB can throw the ball 50 yards. If they can't, then they're not in the league. I have friends thay can toss a rainbow ball in the air 50+ yards.

Arm strength is velocity of a pass in live action. it's being able to throw a ball off balance on a rope. It's throwing into tight window with heat. I will say Brock has made throws that have given me much more confidence in his abilities there, I also don't think his arm strength is anything special. Very Andy Daltonish. Which is fine because like you said there are other traits that take precedence over arm talent/strength.

Would you grade Brock's pass to Kittle against the Jaguars with zero pocket and no follow through a + or a -? How about the many meduim range outs and deep crossers thrown from the opposite hash? Would you grade those passes a + or a -? Can you give me 1 pass that showed less than a + arm? It seems like you are coming up with a fake scenario that may never happen to hold onto your "only Knock" on Brock. Its weird to focus so hard on something that hasn't even been an issue and chances are never will be.

Interested in this as well.

I don't know how someone can see the type of throes he's made and still think his arm strength is bottom of the barrel.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Without a doubt. I was pulling as hard as anyone for Trey because I knew how much Jimmy was holding this offense back and wanted a true FQB. Well, we have one now, and Purdy is proving it every game.

Agreed. He's damn near a perfect fit with our scheme and weapons and we have been a juggernaut on offense since he took over.
Originally posted by Chance:
This is revisionist history. You implied his arm strength was a liability, bottom tier of the league, which it hasn't been. So yes, you were wrong. If the argument before had been that his arm is good enough to make all the throws but it isn't the strongest, no one would have blinked an eye. But those previous arguments only existed because you were saying that his arm strength was poor. You're trying to launder your previous takes to put them in a more favorable light, but pepperidge farm remembers.

This
Originally posted by krizay:
And yet we have people in here tossing out Brock's MPH as proof to him having a strong arm?

again for me I never said it was a noodle arm. I said it was ridiculous for anyone to say his arm strength is on par with Kap/lance, because it's not.

I also agree processing, accuracy and anticipation are all more important traits.

You remember all the way back to 2021?

Hahaha talk about not taking a L. Dude got drafted based off playing on the most stacked team during Covid. Dude had more wide open receivers in college than anyone in the draft.

Clearly he doesn't have those traits because he's gotten benched multiple times and is at best their backup right now
This is revisionist history. You implied his arm strength was a liability, bottom tier of the league, which it hasn't been. So yes, you were wrong. If the argument before had been that his arm is good enough to make all the throws but it isn't the strongest, no one would have blinked an eye. But those previous arguments only existed because you were saying that his arm strength was poor. You're trying to launder your previous takes to put them in a more favorable light, but pepperidge farm remembers.

I said it wasn't a positive trait. Go cry about it if it bothers you that I said that.
Hahaha talk about not taking a L. Dude got drafted based off playing on the most stacked team during Covid. Dude had more wide open receivers in college than anyone in the draft.

Clearly he doesn't have those traits because he's gotten benched multiple times and is at best their backup right now

I can't wait for us to sign him next offseason to backup Purdy. It's going to be wild.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by SLCNiner:

Agreed. He's damn near a perfect fit with our scheme and weapons and we have been a juggernaut on offense since he took over.

Colin Cowherd doesn't think so and everyone listens to him thats why he has his own show. Wears hat backwards and can't overcome adversity, Cowherd is brillIant I say brilliant!! Lynch came from TV lets get Cowherd who is in radio, it could work again!!!
[ Edited by Kolohe on Dec 1, 2023 at 3:52 PM ]
For what saying he has a stronger arm then Brock…if you can't be objective then just say it, next you're gonna say brock's arm is as strong as Elway because he plays for SF.

Understood, I was under the impression you were saying Trey had a better arm or was a better passer.

Point was to show your back pedaling skills.

Just 2 years ago that was far from your stance. All of your debates was based off of the very thing you are debating now. Arm strength. No matter how many times you were told the above traits were more important you were stuck on the physical traits.
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
I mean your stance has softened quite a bit. While it would take hours to comb through previous posts to determine if you used the word "noodle" or not, you clearly implied that his arm was a liability [/i]and bottom of the barrel in the league. Brock has proven its absolutely not a liability, even if it's not a cannon. Again, learn how to take an L and you'd probably get less dudes on your case.

And he will regress to the mean of all NFL qbs.

And he will throw a lot of INTs.

And his road stats suck.

Yeah, at this point guys just know that NY was wrong. Bottom line. Backpedaling or saying, I'm allowed to change my opinion is all good and well as long as you admit that your opinion was wrong in the first place. He certainly has not regressed to the mean he has gotten better. It should be an easy thing to admit, but then again people don't like admitting when they're wrong. It's not a big deal. At least NY supports Purdy, even if he takes jabs at his arm strength. You don't see any respectable analyst saying that kind of stuff about Purdy, They just admire how great he has been

To me it feels like NY is leaving just enough room to say "I told you so" if Purdy and the Niners come up short and don't win the Super Bowl. He still hasn't answered if he thinks we should be looking for Purdy's replacement, which to me means he thinks we should be.

Check post history after the losses.
I didn't say Purdy or Jimmy had the same arm strength as those guys. I said Purdy's release is way faster, so he can get the ball to the WR likely faster than Trey or Kaep (because of their long throwing motions). And no, it's nothing like baseball, because the batter has to wait for the pitch. Defenders in the NFL do not have to wait for the QB to release the football.

My god you're so wrong lol.
Share 49ersWebzone