There are 215 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Same thing that happens with any QB when they do not. It's why everyone thought Brady was washed and done after 2019. He had a big bag of meh for pass catchers. It was widely reported on in NE how Brady was frustrated with his weapons. He goes to TB and has Gronk back, Evans and Godwin and he's a SB champ again.

What happened to Kurt Warner when he didn't have Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Marshall Faulk? He then went to ARI and had Fitz, Boldin, Breaston and the Edge.

There's no asterisk next to Kurt's HOF bust that says, "only HOF when he had all world talent".

BTW, Bruce, Faulk are in the HOF and Holt and Boldin are on the ballot this year, Fitz isn't eligible yet but will be first ballot.

Thing about Tom is he's taller,...more lanky (so going to have better vision of the field and get less balls batted down)....and idk really if anyone should ever be compared to him in regards to "what's capable." Dude is just in a different class.

Without a plethora of weapons,...I'm not yet ready to say that Purdy will be anything close to Brady.

p.s.,...from an available pass-catcher's standpoint,...Tom has NEVER had a squad like this.

I'm simply talking about Purdy without a couple less Pro-bowl caliber options....not with a completely barren tree. So in Tom's case,...it is an extreme.
[ Edited by random49er on Dec 1, 2023 at 5:37 PM ]
Originally posted by random49er:
Thing about Tom is he's taller,...more lanky (so going to have better vision of the field and get less balls batted down)....and idk really if anyone should ever be compared to him in regards to "what's capable." Dude is just in a different class.

Without a plethora of weapons,...I'm not yet ready to say that Purdy will be anything close to Brady.

p.s.,...from an available pass-catcher's standpoint,...Tom has NEVER had a squad like this.

I'm simply talking about Purdy without a couple less Pro-bowl caliber options....not with a completely barren tree. So in Tom's case,...it is an extreme.

I don't know man… Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and Donte Stallworth is pretty damn good. Randy Moss alone is just a gamebreaking talent.

Then you had Edelman, Gronk, the murderer…

All these years behind a dominant line with the GOAT defensive coach killing it on the other side of the ball.

When Brady didn't have the dominant weapons his production reflected that… like late in his Pats career and pre-07.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
I don't know man… Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and Donte Stallworth is pretty damn good. Randy Moss alone is just a gamebreaking talent.

Then you had Edelman, Gronk, the murderer…

All these years behind a dominant line with the GOAT defensive coach killing it on the other side of the ball.

When Brady didn't have the dominant weapons his production reflected that… like late in his Pats career and pre-07.

I think we can agree TB12 is the GOAT, three rings with those early weapons, then as you mention, when he got prime Moss that nearly ended the league
but I digress..
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Yeah, at this point guys just know that NY was wrong. Bottom line. Backpedaling or saying, I'm allowed to change my opinion is all good and well as long as you admit that your opinion was wrong in the first place. He certainly has not regressed to the mean he has gotten better. It should be an easy thing to admit, but then again people don't like admitting when they're wrong. It's not a big deal. At least NY supports Purdy, even if he takes jabs at his arm strength. You don't see any respectable analyst saying that kind of stuff about Purdy, They just admire how great he has been

What am I wrong about it backpedaling? His arm strength isn't a plus. Doesn't mean I doubt him as a starting QB in the league or he can't be successful

Unbelievable. You seriously cannot admit you're wrong about anything. It's so comical! Why do you think so many people are giving you s**t? Just man up and admit it. You were wrong about Brock Purdy regressing to the mean. Admit it man, you will probably see a lot of these people will have more respect for you. But then again, I think you care more about not being wrong than respect. It's cool. Go Niners

According to professional trainers and medical professionals whose expertise is related to treating and rehabbing Purdy's injury, there is actually evidence of gaining stronger arm strength post surgery but that is dependent on how the patient attack his rehab. So if what we've been reading is true about Purdy, who is known for always doing above and beyond on everything he does including his post surgery regimen and continues to do so, I won't be surprised if he gained more arm strength and his arm even got stronger than pre surgery.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I think we can agree TB12 is the GOAT, three rings with those early weapons, then as you mention, when he got prime Moss that nearly ended the league
but I digress..

Had a dominant run game and defense for two of the first three (defense for all three). Lord Brady is one of the best QB's ever, if not the best, but he was always in one of the best situations. Not unlike Joe Montana.
Yea him + Moss. Just a crazy year that year. Never seen anything like it.
[ Edited by random49er on Dec 1, 2023 at 7:05 PM ]

I honestly thought Moss should have been the MVP, but obviously it's going to go to the golden boy QB who hit 50 passing TDs for the first time ever.
Same thing that happens with any QB when they do not. It's why everyone thought Brady was washed and done after 2019. He had a big bag of meh for pass catchers. It was widely reported on in NE how Brady was frustrated with his weapons. He goes to TB and has Gronk back, Evans and Godwin and he's a SB champ again.

What happened to Kurt Warner when he didn't have Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Marshall Faulk? He then went to ARI and had Fitz, Boldin, Breaston and the Edge.

There's no asterisk next to Kurt's HOF bust that says, "only HOF when he had all world talent".

BTW, Bruce, Faulk are in the HOF and Holt and Boldin are on the ballot this year, Fitz isn't eligible yet but will be first ballot.

I miss Boldin. Loved everything about the way he played the game. He was so good for the QBs he played with.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

I honestly thought Moss should have been the MVP, but obviously it's going to go to the golden boy QB who hit 50 passing TDs for the first time ever.

Craziest thing is still that the Giants beat them. Weren't they a wild card? Imagine the dick sucking if they'd have stayed undefeated.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
I think elite processing and anticipation far outweigh elite arm strength. Arm strength only seems to be a factor when a QB is late on his throws.

When you have the stars we have catching the ball...no doubt about it!!

But then the obvious question is what happens when you do not?

Brock's gone from a system QB to weapons-dependent. You gotta stay ahead of the media labels.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by krizay:

You remember all the way back to 2021?

Easy to look like you have those traits when your elite players make the plays for you.

Not a better example than McCorkle

Are you guys saying that McCorkle is a good comp to why we should be Leary of Brock's success? That's def reaching.

Jones was only good for like half of his rookie season, he dramatically got worse starting the second half of the season. Brocks really had a great entire season of play, so already beating him there. Even the three games we lost, Brock played really well outside of a few plays (big eff ups on those plays though). So at most, you can say Brock has only had one bad game.

Jones has never even remotely played consistently well, or elevated his team, the way Brock has. Brock still has a ton to prove and improve upon, he isn't perfect, but I feel like he's done enough to where if he has a down game - we see it as an outlier and not some data point that shows he's going to be bad. Lol

you can take every first round qb taken in the last handful of years and they've all had way worse games than brock (outside of maybe Stroud - which I always liked him and though it was comical that some people thought Trey was a better prospect than him.)
Originally posted by NCommand:
Brock's gone from a system QB to weapons-dependent. You gotta stay ahead of the media labels.

all QBs are weapons-dependent. The only difference between them is how much.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Craziest thing is still that the Giants beat them. Weren't they a wild card? Imagine the dick sucking if they'd have stayed undefeated.

Yea. I know the Giants are a rival of the Niners, but that 07 team will always hold a special place in my heart for beating the Pats, lol.

Still not addressing Kurt Warner. The weapons he had with the Rams and then Cards were insane. Brock actually has a higher QB rating through his first 16 starts than Kurt did with all those weapons. Surely that has to tell you something. He's literally the ONLY player to have a better rating over that span than Warner. Can't say Brock just has better weapons than Kurt did - who also had a first ballot HOF LT.

At least they're not saying Brock has the best O line. He's doing this with one great player in Williams and average linemen. Banks is better than average but our line is not made up of 5 first rounders like the Eagles. I am counting on McKivitz being better at pass pro than McGlinchy so Reddik shouldn't wreck as much damage this time around.
Share 49ersWebzone