There are 206 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
"Purdy is good only because he has those insane weapons"

Well yeah.....that's why all the teams want a QB in his rookie deal
Anyone who argues that Baker Mayfield and/or Mac Jones would be doing the same things Brock Purdy is in SF are not worth discussing NFL football with. In fact they should just retire from fandom and not watch pro football ever again.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I think we can agree TB12 is the GOAT, three rings with those early weapons, then as you mention, when he got prime Moss that nearly ended the league
but I digress..

No he isn't.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Anyone who argues that Baker Mayfield and/or Mac Jones would be doing the same things Brock Purdy is in SF are not worth discussing NFL football with. In fact they should just retire from fandom and not watch pro football ever again.

Hold your horses, Kyle turned Matt Ryan into league MVP.
theres no telling what he could do with any QB.
[ Edited by All22 on Dec 1, 2023 at 9:31 PM ]
Originally posted by All22:

Matt Ryan was the #3 overall pick, a 3 time Pro Bowler, offensive rookie of the year and All-Pro before Shanahan ever got to Atlanta. Obviously KS helped him but it's not like he turned a mediocre or even average QB into an MVP. He was already a top tier QB.
[ Edited by Leathaface on Dec 1, 2023 at 9:34 PM ]

Matt Ryan was the #3 overall pick, a 3 time Pro Bowler, offensive rookie of the year and All-Pro before Shanahan ever got to Atlanta. Obviously KS helped him but it's not like he turned a mediocre or even average QB into an MVP. He was already a top tier QB.

He was a top tier QB in the draft and College football. Nothing to do with Kyle.

they don't know s**t about football

He didn't make All-Pro until 2016 but yes, he was a 3x Pro Bowler before Kyle.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Still not addressing Kurt Warner. The weapons he had with the Rams and then Cards were insane. Brock actually has a higher QB rating through his first 16 starts than Kurt did with all those weapons. Surely that has to tell you something. He's literally the ONLY player to have a better rating over that span than Warner. Can't say Brock just has better weapons than Kurt did - who also had a first ballot HOF LT.

First of all, you can't compare numbers at face value when it comes to the passing game in 1999 and today. It's a totally different game. Only 5 guys had QB ratings higher than 90, with Warner being the only one over 100 in 1999. There are currently 16 QB's with ratings of over 90, and 6 of them are over 100. Secondly, and while I have no problem with KW being in the HOF, he is one of the best examples from that rare group who needed the weapons around him more than he made the weapons. I love what Purdy is doing and he shows all the traits that are required to play the game at a high level, but what separates guys like Kurt Warner from Joe Montana is that Montana's game fell far less when everything around him wasn't optimal.

I'd 'like' to see how Purdy reacts when he has multiple stretches when he either doesn't have all the talent around him, or he gets into a shootout, or he's down by 4+ points with 1:30 left in the game. Sooner or later, I will see those scenarios, and that's when I can completely decide just how good he truly is.
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Post game MVP forgot to share the suit collection, and the secrets to the QB sneak

You're pic collection is to notch bro.

I forgot how dashing Jimbo usta be..still good lookin but yeah..I mean..getting a little worn in Vegas haha

Still not addressing Kurt Warner. The weapons he had with the Rams and then Cards were insane. Brock actually has a higher QB rating through his first 16 starts than Kurt did with all those weapons. Surely that has to tell you something. He's literally the ONLY player to have a better rating over that span than Warner. Can't say Brock just has better weapons than Kurt did - who also had a first ballot HOF LT.

Do we know how good the rams offensive line was?
Originally posted by Waterbear:
He still keeps them in his wallet. Thats why.

Originally posted by Shorteous:

They didn't track pressure stats that far back. Atleast no site that I have found. However, he was the 12th highest sacked QB with 29 sacks in 1999. Although he was 25th in sack%. In 2000 he was one of the least sacked QB's in the NFL at 20 and had the 12 lowest sack%. In 2001 Kurt was the 9th highest sacked QB in the NFL with 38 sacks. He had a 5.5% sack rate in both 1999 and 2000 but it jumped up to 6.5% in 2001. In 2002 his sack% jumped up to 8.7%.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Dec 2, 2023 at 5:14 AM ]
Originally posted by Shorteous:

Ddefinitely wasn't worse than ours. Ours is not a good pass pro line.

Brock has Trent, Kurt had Orlando Pace.

RE production without weapons not to yiu, but the orevious poster- the tape on Purdy during our 3 game skid was fantastic. He was making a ton of high level QB plays.

With a guy like Purdy, you're not going to see a ton of "wow" plays l. That's how Joe was, that's how Kurt was. So, I'm not sure what more you were looking for when Deebo and Trent were out. The film was very, very solid.
Ddefinitely wasn't worse than ours. Ours is not a good pass pro line.

Brock has Trent, Kurt had Orlando Pace.

RE production without weapons not to yiu, but the orevious poster- the tape on Purdy during our 3 game skid was fantastic. He was making a ton of high level QB plays.

With a guy like Purdy, you're not going to see a ton of "wow" plays l. That's how Joe was, that's how Kurt was. So, I'm not sure what more you were looking for when Deebo and Trent were out. The film was very, very solid.

Kurt had Pace Faulk Isaac Bruce and Tory Holt. That is what should be four HOF talents along with Kurt to make five should be would be HOF talents just on that offense alone!

We know what Purdy is above his replacement
Share 49ersWebzone