There are 209 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonnydel:

With a guy like Purdy, you're not going to see a ton of "wow" plays l. That's how Joe was, that's how Kurt was. So, I'm not sure what more you were looking for when Deebo and Trent were out. The film was very, very solid.

probably depends on what wows you.....

I must be easy to wow.....

Been a long time since I have watched a QB layer passes the way Brock does. This team is probably one pre injury John Taylor type guy away from rivaling the top offenses in the history of the NFL. Tons of talent on the team as it is, but not really that dude who hits 3rd gear instantly
Kurt Warner and the Rams back then didn't throw as many high percentage passes. Their philosophy was hit the deep pass and don't worry about the INT. We saw it briefly when Martz brought that offense to the NIners. The style the Niners ( many other teams ) now run is much more controlled. Look at the top QBs prior to 2000 and their completion percentages are lower than even many of the average QBs today. Rule changes and the resulting style of the passing game are the big reason. It's not like QBs suddenly got better. The game has just changed making it easier to pass in the middle of the field. The tacky gloves have helped as well. I remember seeing Rice make a one handed catch and it was considered amazing. Now we see them every week.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Dec 2, 2023 at 7:12 AM ]
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

"Kyle's system"
I hate the anxiety that goes with it but I wouldn't mind seeing the Niners trailing by 7 or more in the 4th quarter so Brock has the opportunity to win a game from behind. That seems to be the biggest complaint that his doubters have. They want to see him step up at a crucial moment with the game on the line. A come back win in Philly would go a long way toward silencing his critics.

On second thought I'd rather see the Niners with a 14 point cushion in the 4th quarter.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I hate the anxiety that goes with it but I wouldn't mind seeing the Niners trailing by 7 or more in the 4th quarter so Brock has the opportunity to win a game from behind. That seems to be the biggest complaint that his doubters have. They want to see him step up at a crucial moment with the game on the line. A come back win in Philly would go a long way toward silencing his critics.

On second thought I'd rather see the Niners with a 14 point cushion in the 4th quarter.

Those tight games when we'll need to see a comeback will come soon enough. I need a blowout this game so i can enjoy my beer and laugh every time they show Hurts and their coach up close on the screen
Originally posted by BrockIsHim:

Those tight games when we'll need to see a comeback will come soon enough. I need a blowout this game so i can enjoy my beer and laugh every time they show Hurts and their coach up close on the screen

It seems like we either win in a blowout or lose in a close one. Kyle's record of 0-36 when trailing by 8 or more in the 4th is troubling.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Still not addressing Kurt Warner. The weapons he had with the Rams and then Cards were insane. Brock actually has a higher QB rating through his first 16 starts than Kurt did with all those weapons. Surely that has to tell you something. He's literally the ONLY player to have a better rating over that span than Warner. Can't say Brock just has better weapons than Kurt did - who also had a first ballot HOF LT.

Do we know how good the rams offensive line was?

Ddefinitely wasn't worse than ours. Ours is not a good pass pro line.

Brock has Trent, Kurt had Orlando Pace.

RE production without weapons not to yiu, but the orevious poster- the tape on Purdy during our 3 game skid was fantastic. He was making a ton of high level QB plays.

With a guy like Purdy, you're not going to see a ton of "wow" plays l. That's how Joe was, that's how Kurt was. So, I'm not sure what more you were looking for when Deebo and Trent were out. The film was very, very solid.

I'd argue that we see just as many "wow" plays with Brock than we do the usual suspects on Sportscenter (Lamar, Allen etc), they just look different. I am just as impressed when I see a QB stand in the face of a rusher, make an accurate throw knowing he's about to get blasted, than when a QB evades and makes an off platform throw.

Then when you take it to the all22 and see Brock's ability to "throw a WR open", it is downright uncanny. If folks don't understand how difficult that is and how that takes mental talent, then we can only hope they eventually appreciate that type of QB play.

In these times when so many former NFL players are breaking down individual plays that a QB makes (on Twitter etc), I hope that those types of plays that Brock makes get the recognition it deserves.

I think one thing that came out of some of these young QBs busting (Fields, ZWilson) where they dropback and have no clue wth they are looking at, people see what it looks like when a QB fully understands what he's looking at (Brock).
  • Antix
  • Veteran

Man, I'm with you. It feels like I'm taking crazy pills sometimes. Somehow dominating all of your opponents is not as good as squeaking out tight wins all the time? Don't get me wrong, winning tight games is important but getting up on teams and holding leads isn't easy either. If we had done that in 2019 we'd have a ring already.

Like you said, close games are coming. Maybe this will be one but I sure as hell aint hoping for it lol.
Kurt Warner and the Rams back then didn't throw as many high percentage passes. Their philosophy was hit the deep pass and don't worry about the INT. We saw it briefly when Martz brought that offense to the NIners. The style the Niners ( many other teams ) now run is much more controlled. Look at the top QBs prior to 2000 and their completion percentages are lower than even many of the average QBs today. Rule changes and the resulting style of the passing game are the big reason. It's not like QBs suddenly got better. The game has just changed making it easier to pass in the middle of the field. The tacky gloves have helped as well. I remember seeing Rice make a one handed catch and it was considered amazing. Now we see them every week.

J.T. O'PicksALot

I love his breakdowns but it ALWAYS comes from the most aggressive angle possible.
Originally posted by Antix:

Man, I'm with you. It feels like I'm taking crazy pills sometimes. Somehow dominating all of your opponents is not as good as squeaking out tight wins all the time? Don't get me wrong, winning tight games is important but getting up on teams and holding leads isn't easy either. If we had done that in 2019 we'd have a ring already.

Like you said, close games are coming. Maybe this will be one but I sure as hell aint hoping for it lol.

Technically, we did get up 10 with 7 minutes to go there. Then the epic fail.

Originally posted by Antix:

I find the allure for a QB who plays like s**t for 2.5 quarters and has to win from behind over a QB who is in control from the start to the 4th quarter bench warming because of a blowout quite insane.
Wonder if Kyle should just install route adjustment options to the offense, Brock already done it for him lol

Is it an overrated stat if you omit Thomas Brady from the equation lol.

He's 0 for 3 in like one year. Kenny Pickett already has six 4th quarter comebacks. Geno Smith has seven.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erF90:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Yeah, at this point guys just know that NY was wrong. Bottom line. Backpedaling or saying, I'm allowed to change my opinion is all good and well as long as you admit that your opinion was wrong in the first place. He certainly has not regressed to the mean he has gotten better. It should be an easy thing to admit, but then again people don't like admitting when they're wrong. It's not a big deal. At least NY supports Purdy, even if he takes jabs at his arm strength. You don't see any respectable analyst saying that kind of stuff about Purdy, They just admire how great he has been

What am I wrong about it backpedaling? His arm strength isn't a plus. Doesn't mean I doubt him as a starting QB in the league or he can't be successful

Unbelievable. You seriously cannot admit you're wrong about anything. It's so comical! Why do you think so many people are giving you s**t? Just man up and admit it. You were wrong about Brock Purdy regressing to the mean. Admit it man, you will probably see a lot of these people will have more respect for you. But then again, I think you care more about not being wrong than respect. It's cool. Go Niners

According to professional trainers and medical professionals whose expertise is related to treating and rehabbing Purdy's injury, there is actually evidence of gaining stronger arm strength post surgery but that is dependent on how the patient attack his rehab. So if what we've been reading is true about Purdy, who is known for always doing above and beyond on everything he does including his post surgery regimen and continues to do so, I won't be surprised if he gained more arm strength and his arm even got stronger than pre surgery.

I agree. I don't think Purdy's arm currently is a negative or a neutral. I think its stronger than the average NFL arm. He's worked hard at it, just like he's worked hard at all the other QB skills. He's thrown passes in the 50 yard range with (what looked like) casual effort, (the Kittle TD in last years commander game). He's throwing thirty and fourty yard passes with just arm (Kittle TD in the Jag game).
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Yea. But my question was how many times has Kyle even called a hail mary pass in his career? DB's get burnt week in and week out. How many hail mary passes do you see around the league on a weekly basis? Doesn't seem comparable to me.

A Hail Mary has nothing to do with arm strength. Every NFL QB can throw the ball 50 yards. If they can't, then they're not in the league. I have friends thay can toss a rainbow ball in the air 50+ yards.

Arm strength is velocity of a pass in live action. it's being able to throw a ball off balance on a rope. It's throwing into tight window with heat. I will say Brock has made throws that have given me much more confidence in his abilities there, I also don't think his arm strength is anything special. Very Andy Daltonish. Which is fine because like you said there are other traits that take precedence over arm talent/strength.

Would you grade Brock's pass to Kittle against the Jaguars with zero pocket and no follow through a + or a -? How about the many meduim range outs and deep crossers thrown from the opposite hash? Would you grade those passes a + or a -? Can you give me 1 pass that showed less than a + arm? It seems like you are coming up with a fake scenario that may never happen to hold onto your "only Knock" on Brock. Its weird to focus so hard on something that hasn't even been an issue and chances are never will be.

Interested in this as well.

I don't know how someone can see the type of throes he's made and still think his arm strength is bottom of the barrel.

Share 49ersWebzone