There are 223 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
List the zoners who think his arm is s**t?
Originally posted by thl408:
I'd argue that we see just as many "wow" plays with Brock than we do the usual suspects on Sportscenter (Lamar, Allen etc), they just look different. I am just as impressed when I see a QB stand in the face of a rusher, make an accurate throw knowing he's about to get blasted, than when a QB evades and makes an off platform throw.

Then when you take it to the all22 and see Brock's ability to "throw a WR open", it is downright uncanny. If folks don't understand how difficult that is and how that takes mental talent, then we can only hope they eventually appreciate that type of QB play.

In these times when so many former NFL players are breaking down individual plays that a QB makes (on Twitter etc), I hope that those types of plays that Brock makes get the recognition it deserves.

I think one thing that came out of some of these young QBs busting (Fields, ZWilson) where they dropback and have no clue wth they are looking at, people see what it looks like when a QB fully understands what he's looking at (Brock).

Great post.

Purdy does a great job of making high level quarterbacking look mundane because it seems to come so easy for him. That's far from the norm for most NFL QBs, let alone really young ones.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Wonder if Kyle should just install route adjustment options to the offense, Brock already done it for him lol

👀
  • thl408
Originally posted by Furlow:
Wonder if Kyle should just install route adjustment options to the offense, Brock already done it for him lol

👀

There's a bunch of route adjustments in Kyle's playbook. All NFL playbooks have route adjustments. This isn't Pop Warner.

👀

There's a bunch of route adjustments in Kyle's playbook. All NFL playbooks have route adjustments. This isn't Pop Warner.
In furlow's eyes it is PW
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by BrockIsHim:
I hate the anxiety that goes with it but I wouldn't mind seeing the Niners trailing by 7 or more in the 4th quarter so Brock has the opportunity to win a game from behind. That seems to be the biggest complaint that his doubters have. They want to see him step up at a crucial moment with the game on the line. A come back win in Philly would go a long way toward silencing his critics.

On second thought I'd rather see the Niners with a 14 point cushion in the 4th quarter.

Those tight games when we'll need to see a comeback will come soon enough. I need a blowout this game so i can enjoy my beer and laugh every time they show Hurts and their coach up close on the screen

It seems like we either win in a blowout or lose in a close one. Kyle's record of 0-36 when trailing by 8 or more in the 4th is troubling.

Why? Bill Bellichick is something like 1 or 2-30 and Andy Reid has 1 or 2 in that same scenario. The league, as a whole, is like 95+% loss on that situation. I did a deep dive into those numbers last year when it was becoming a narrative and the coaches with the best record in that situation were some pretty meh-bad coaches.

👀

Yeah, if anyone wants it, I'll give you his playbook. It's a pretty big file but there's route adjustments all over the place.

Like, a ton of our outside routes will be a Fade vs C2 and then a comeback vs bump or 3 zone. Shallow crossing routes will sit vs zone, keep going v man.

The drift route, a 7 step in route, literally says, "7 steps, break in off outside foot and work to space"

The Dagger concept is a deep thru route vs C3, skinny post vs C2 paired with a dover(DIG).

We have tons of choice routes.

We have a Heat route which will look like a high crosser and sit down vs zone, work back outside vs man.

Pretty much every play has a sight adjustment against some coverage.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by BrockIsHim:
I hate the anxiety that goes with it but I wouldn't mind seeing the Niners trailing by 7 or more in the 4th quarter so Brock has the opportunity to win a game from behind. That seems to be the biggest complaint that his doubters have. They want to see him step up at a crucial moment with the game on the line. A come back win in Philly would go a long way toward silencing his critics.

On second thought I'd rather see the Niners with a 14 point cushion in the 4th quarter.

Those tight games when we'll need to see a comeback will come soon enough. I need a blowout this game so i can enjoy my beer and laugh every time they show Hurts and their coach up close on the screen

It seems like we either win in a blowout or lose in a close one. Kyle's record of 0-36 when trailing by 8 or more in the 4th is troubling.

Why? Bill Bellichick is something like 1 or 2-30 and Andy Reid has 1 or 2 in that same scenario. The league, as a whole, is like 95+% loss on that situation. I did a deep dive into those numbers last year when it was becoming a narrative and the coaches with the best record in that situation were some pretty meh-bad coaches.

Good info JD
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Still not addressing Kurt Warner. The weapons he had with the Rams and then Cards were insane. Brock actually has a higher QB rating through his first 16 starts than Kurt did with all those weapons. Surely that has to tell you something. He's literally the ONLY player to have a better rating over that span than Warner. Can't say Brock just has better weapons than Kurt did - who also had a first ballot HOF LT.

Do we know how good the rams offensive line was?

Ddefinitely wasn't worse than ours. Ours is not a good pass pro line.

Brock has Trent, Kurt had Orlando Pace.

RE production without weapons not to yiu, but the orevious poster- the tape on Purdy during our 3 game skid was fantastic. He was making a ton of high level QB plays.

With a guy like Purdy, you're not going to see a ton of "wow" plays l. That's how Joe was, that's how Kurt was. So, I'm not sure what more you were looking for when Deebo and Trent were out. The film was very, very solid.

I'd argue that we see just as many "wow" plays with Brock than we do the usual suspects on Sportscenter (Lamar, Allen etc), they just look different. I am just as impressed when I see a QB stand in the face of a rusher, make an accurate throw knowing he's about to get blasted, than when a QB evades and makes an off platform throw.

Then when you take it to the all22 and see Brock's ability to "throw a WR open", it is downright uncanny. If folks don't understand how difficult that is and how that takes mental talent, then we can only hope they eventually appreciate that type of QB play.

In these times when so many former NFL players are breaking down individual plays that a QB makes (on Twitter etc), I hope that those types of plays that Brock makes get the recognition it deserves.

I think one thing that came out of some of these young QBs busting (Fields, ZWilson) where they dropback and have no clue wth they are looking at, people see what it looks like when a QB fully understands what he's looking at (Brock).

Thats why I put, "wow" throws in quotes. Because that seems to be the disconnect. We're saying we want to see him perform well without weapons, when he performed really well without Deebo and Trent but you couldn't fully appreciate it without watching the film.
Originally posted by 49erKing:

Its a weird narrative. I've watched 3 Bills games tape and Brock is farther along from a reading the field and anticipation in his throws than Josh Allen.

Originally posted by 49erKing:

Its a weird narrative. I've watched 3 Bills games tape and Brock is farther along from a reading the field and anticipation in his throws than Josh Allen.

he can make every necessary throw he may not have anA+ arm that can throw it 60+ yards but he has more than enough arm strength to throw it outside the numbers 40+ yards down the field
  • thl408

👀

Yeah, if anyone wants it, I'll give you his playbook. It's a pretty big file but there's route adjustments all over the place.

Like, a ton of our outside routes will be a Fade vs C2 and then a comeback vs bump or 3 zone. Shallow crossing routes will sit vs zone, keep going v man.

The drift route, a 7 step in route, literally says, "7 steps, break in off outside foot and work to space"

The Dagger concept is a deep thru route vs C3, skinny post vs C2 paired with a dover(DIG).

We have a Heat route which will look like a high crosser and sit down vs zone, work back outside vs man.

I think that's one big reason young WRs need time to get integrated into the 49er passing game. It's a lot to take in compared to what they were doing in college. All the things you stated plus all the alignments, various splits and presnap motions. Oh, and gotta run block. And those things you described are not uncommon in all NFL offenses. It's just the amount of route adjustments that will be different from one playbook to another.
  • thl408
Still not addressing Kurt Warner. The weapons he had with the Rams and then Cards were insane. Brock actually has a higher QB rating through his first 16 starts than Kurt did with all those weapons. Surely that has to tell you something. He's literally the ONLY player to have a better rating over that span than Warner. Can't say Brock just has better weapons than Kurt did - who also had a first ballot HOF LT.

RE production without weapons not to yiu, but the orevious poster- the tape on Purdy during our 3 game skid was fantastic. He was making a ton of high level QB plays.

With a guy like Purdy, you're not going to see a ton of "wow" plays l. That's how Joe was, that's how Kurt was. So, I'm not sure what more you were looking for when Deebo and Trent were out. The film was very, very solid.

Thats why I put, "wow" throws in quotes. Because that seems to be the disconnect. We're saying we want to see him perform well without weapons, when he performed really well without Deebo and Trent but you couldn't fully appreciate it without watching the film.

When it comes to the wow throws, with Brock we may need the all22 to really appreciate what we just saw. We can't tell that Brock threw the ball before the WR exited his break when watching it from the TV view. Or just how close the throw went over the jumping LB's outreached arms as Brock layers the throw. Whereas we see Allen/Lamar run around evading to make off platform throws from the regular TV view, and are able to say 'wow' as we are watching it live.

When it comes to the wow throws, with Brock we may need the all22 to really appreciate what we just saw. We can't tell that Brock threw the ball before the WR exited his break when watching it from the TV view. Or just how close the throw went over the jumping LB's outreached arms as Brock layers the throw. Whereas we see Allen/Lamar run around evading to make off platform throws from the regular TV view, and are able to say 'wow' as we are watching it live.
You can see them on tv if you know what to look for, one tell is hitting receivers in stride
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

👀

Great info JD, and I think the offense will just get more and more sophisticated as these adjustments to the routs get absorbed by both QB and WR. As Brock learns more and more and becomes comfortable with all the adjustments, this offense will have adjustments on top of adjustments and options for every defensive coverage. It will be really hard to stop the passing game, even if the running game is average. (and it never will be average as long as CMC is RB).
Share 49ersWebzone