Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Wonder if Kyle should just install route adjustment options to the offense, Brock already done it for him lol

👀

So u know more football than most people on this forum, but you think that we don't have route adjustments? Interesting...

Again, not the adjustments that Chase Daniel was referring to in his video.

The term 'route adjustment' means a specific thing. I assumed that's what qnnhan was talking about when he said, "Route adjustment". If he was talking about something else, then why would he use the term 'route adjustment'?

What you and Jonny started talking about has always been "sight adjustments" from my understanding. If that's the same as "route adjustment," okay. I guess we need a new term for when a WR's route is on a certain path, and the QB throws a pass that takes him off of that path and towards an open area for a reception. That is what Purdy is ELITE at and how I feel is expanding Kyle's offense beyond the "design." As well as throwing to "clear outs" of/when they are open, even if the play is not designed to go there - assuming it's not Deebo running the clear out because he runs them lazy lol.

Sight adjustment is a term that is specifically about blitzes. For example, if there a blitz, change the route to a quick slant.
Route adjustment is what JD described - against a certain coverage, run a certain route.

What qnnhan and you are talking about is simply throwing a WR open.

thanks for wrapping this subject up.

it's really good when we just use the terms that already attach with these American Football-related events instead of making up our own and expect everyone else to adjust to our own definitions.

Might sound like I'm nitpicking but it really does happen here alot.
We talking about touch passes?
Originally posted by MucketyMuck:
We talking about touch passes?

Well that, and/or Purdy taking Kyle playbook home and bringing it back to him with 200 additional pages.

Same thing in the end,...right?
Wonder if Kyle should just install route adjustment options to the offense, Brock already done it for him lol

👀

So u know more football than most people on this forum, but you think that we don't have route adjustments? Interesting...

The term 'route adjustment' means a specific thing. I assumed that's what qnnhan was talking about when he said, "Route adjustment". If he was talking about something else, then why would he use the term 'route adjustment'?

What you and Jonny started talking about has always been "sight adjustments" from my understanding. If that's the same as "route adjustment," okay. I guess we need a new term for when a WR's route is on a certain path, and the QB throws a pass that takes him off of that path and towards an open area for a reception. That is what Purdy is ELITE at and how I feel is expanding Kyle's offense beyond the "design." As well as throwing to "clear outs" of/when they are open, even if the play is not designed to go there - assuming it's not Deebo running the clear out because he runs them lazy lol.

This is the play I was referring to. It looks to me like Brock adjusted the throw slightly more to the post to lead Aiyuk open. Both Chase Daniel's and JTO sorta lean to that interpretation. I don't know enough about football to call it anything else other than 'route adjustment ' but sight adjustment seems more fitting to this play.

Also, Alex Smith was breaking down Mahomes and his receivers, Smith indicated that on some plays the receiver have 3 options of running their route depending on how they are covered. Saying Mahomes and his receivers not on the same page at times' so the throws were off.

On some breakdowns CMC has options but does Brock have the same level of options from his receivers as Mahomes....?

So, I think we're getting caught up in some semantics.

Leading a receiver to a spot is between QB and WR.

Like I said about the drift route, the playbook, word for word is, "7 step in breaking route, cut off the outside foot, work to space"

There's a number of routes that baked into the route is, "work to space" "if covered, work back outside" "if open space, turn and present yourself to the QB".

Then there's coverage adjustments where it'll be a slightly different or different route based off the coverage.

Then there's depths of some concepts, which are gameplan specific.

For example, against the Saints last year, they play a lot of M/M principles in zone. (M/M being, man-match). So, to get quick matchups of Deebo on Demario Davis we ran our arches concept at a depth of about 5 yards.

Against Seattle they play a lot softer zone so we ran arches at a depth of 8 or 9 yards.

Does all this help clarify?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Because Aiyuk's route was FLAT. Purdy threw it more like a post, AWAY from Aiyuk's route path. That's outside the structure of the play/route. Not to mention the check down was wide open. As I keep saying, Purdy is pushing the limits of Kyle's system and play designs. This is a good thing and what you want a QB to do.

Why are you so hell bent on the head coach getting the credit? I'm almost 50 years old and I have never known a group of fans who put the coach in front of the players. So damn strange lol
hell bent ? Not hell bent, but it is false. Your interpretation of what happened is not a fact. so I'm not sure why a 50 YO is so hell bent to make things up to spite the coach.

You were already incorrect on your first attempt on this, now you spinned into another and about to be corrected again.

Purdy is not throwing prayer balls and hoping the Aiyuk is there. Aiyuk should be in that area and no where else

Think of that play with Brock throwing to Aiyuk into a catchable box with defenders on the perimeter. Brock didn't throw outside the box to an open area hoping Aiyuk would get there to save Brock from himself. Instead of throwing to the middle left of the box, where Aiyuk look like he was intially going , Brock slightly threw it to the upper right corner of the box, over the underneath and away from the safety, it's still within a catchable box where Aiyuk could adjust to it. Atleast 2 guys that formerly played the position interpreted that way.

I have no sides to take between you guys lol I find it interesting that Brock possibly threw one of the most nastiest throw, pushing the limit of the offense.
Originally posted by jonnydel:

👀

This is the play I was referring to. It looks to me like Brock adjusted the throw slightly more to the post to lead Aiyuk open. Both Chase Daniel's and JTO sorta lean to that interpretation. I don't know enough about football to call it anything else other than 'route adjustment ' but sight adjustment seems more fitting to this play.

Also, Alex Smith was breaking down Mahomes and his receivers, Smith indicated that on some plays the receiver have 3 options of running their route depending on how they are covered. Saying Mahomes and his receivers not on the same page at times' so the throws were off.

On some breakdowns CMC has options but does Brock have the same level of options from his receivers as Mahomes....?

So, I think we're getting caught up in some semantics.

Leading a receiver to a spot is between QB and WR.

Like I said about the drift route, the playbook, word for word is, "7 step in breaking route, cut off the outside foot, work to space"

There's a number of routes that baked into the route is, "work to space" "if covered, work back outside" "if open space, turn and present yourself to the QB".

Then there's coverage adjustments where it'll be a slightly different or different route based off the coverage.

Then there's depths of some concepts, which are gameplan specific.

For example, against the Saints last year, they play a lot of M/M principles in zone. (M/M being, man-match). So, to get quick matchups of Deebo on Demario Davis we ran our arches concept at a depth of about 5 yards.

Against Seattle they play a lot softer zone so we ran arches at a depth of 8 or 9 yards.

Does all this help clarify?

Yes, I think so lol Thanks JD.

I've always want to say, I don't think I want to know too much about football, because it seems like looking at a magic trick, if you know how the trick is made, the magic is gone. That's how I partly view football lol
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Because Aiyuk's route was FLAT. Purdy threw it more like a post, AWAY from Aiyuk's route path. That's outside the structure of the play/route. Not to mention the check down was wide open. As I keep saying, Purdy is pushing the limits of Kyle's system and play designs. This is a good thing and what you want a QB to do.

Why are you so hell bent on the head coach getting the credit? I'm almost 50 years old and I have never known a group of fans who put the coach in front of the players. So damn strange lol
hell bent ? Not hell bent, but it is false. Your interpretation of what happened is not a fact. so I'm not sure why a 50 YO is so hell bent to make things up to spite the coach.

You were already incorrect on your first attempt on this, now you spinned into another and about to be corrected again.

Purdy is not throwing prayer balls and hoping the Aiyuk is there. Aiyuk should be in that area and no where else

Read

Yes, Brock threw Aiyuk open. I agree with Chase(?) that Aiyuk was running more of a Dig. Brock led him to a more open area by leading him to the Post. It is not a 'route adjustment' only because that term is reserved for when the WR changes his route based off the coverage he is seeing (as part of the play's design). I didn't come up with these terms, that's just what it's called. I see where the confusion started now.

The spot that Purdy threw it to Aiyuk was NOT the route nor the design. He does this A LOT. That is Purdy, not Kyle.

Continue worshipping the coach though by all means if that makes you feel good.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RickyRoma:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Still not addressing Kurt Warner. The weapons he had with the Rams and then Cards were insane. Brock actually has a higher QB rating through his first 16 starts than Kurt did with all those weapons. Surely that has to tell you something. He's literally the ONLY player to have a better rating over that span than Warner. Can't say Brock just has better weapons than Kurt did - who also had a first ballot HOF LT.

First of all, you can't compare numbers at face value when it comes to the passing game in 1999 and today. It's a totally different game. Only 5 guys had QB ratings higher than 90, with Warner being the only one over 100 in 1999. There are currently 16 QB's with ratings of over 90, and 6 of them are over 100. Secondly, and while I have no problem with KW being in the HOF, he is one of the best examples from that rare group who needed the weapons around him more than he made the weapons. I love what Purdy is doing and he shows all the traits that are required to play the game at a high level, but what separates guys like Kurt Warner from Joe Montana is that Montana's game fell far less when everything around him wasn't optimal.

I'd 'like' to see how Purdy reacts when he has multiple stretches when he either doesn't have all the talent around him, or he gets into a shootout, or he's down by 4+ points with 1:30 left in the game. Sooner or later, I will see those scenarios, and that's when I can completely decide just how good he truly is.

Personally, I *don't want* to see that. Because if you take away Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk and CMC, you will have a below average offense and a non-playoff team. Again, football is a *team* game - don't forget that. What would Joe and Steve be without Jerry and Haley/Fred Dean. l look at Steve after Seifert traded away Haley, Steve could have had multiple super bowls *but for* the stupidity of Seifert. (as an example).

I think one of the reasons Purdy wasn't drafted high is the inability of evaluators to separate Brock's contribution to his College Offense vs. Charlie Kolar, Breece Hall, and Xavier Hutchenson contribution to their offense. I.e. did Joe make Jerry a hall of famer, or did Jerry make Joe a hall of famer? I think that's one of the biggest reasons that a QB drops in the draft is because of the inability of draft evaluators to separate the individuals contribution to the team contribution.
Read

The spot that Purdy threw it to Aiyuk was NOT the route nor the design. He does this A LOT. That is Purdy, not Kyle.

So even after everything's been perfectly spelled out for us,...it's not Kyle. He just keeps getting "lucky" over and over again with the players he approves of bringing onto the team. Okay.

I mean I know where this train of thought is coming from...

[ Edited by random49er on Dec 2, 2023 at 5:52 PM ]
Originally posted by random49er:
Read

So even after everything's been perfectly spelled out for us,...it's not Kyle. He just keeps getting "lucky" over and over again with the players he approves of bringing onto the team. Okay.

I mean I know where this train of thought is coming from...

That take is very extreme. Why can it not be both the playcaller and QB elevating one another? No reason to bring one down to raise another.

Originally posted by YACBros85:
That take is very extreme. Why can it not be both the playcaller and QB elevating one another? No reason to bring one down to raise another.

Said it before: Some fans do it to "protect" the players in their minds whenever we don't win or do well. It's 100% the coaches,....and it's just a mental thing.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I think it's both also. It's a team game. Brock can't coach, and Kyle can't play QB. Simple.

It is both. Only one person has argued an 80/20 percentage and is now spinning disagreement as wanting to give Kyle all the credit.

Kyle is calling great plays just like he always has. Brock is executing those plays at a high level and is even raising the game on some by making unbelievable throws. He's doing that not just because of mentality, but because he's far superior at playing the position to any other QB Kyle has had since prime Matt Ryan.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
It is both. Only one person has argued an 80/20 percentage and is now spinning disagreement as wanting to give Kyle all the credit.

Kyle is calling great plays just like he always has. Brock is executing those plays at a high level and is even raising the game on some by making unbelievable throws. He's doing that not just because of mentality, but because he's far superior at playing the position to any other QB Kyle has had since prime Matt Ryan.

Purdy is the real deal. He throws touchdowns and wins games.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Purdy is the real deal. He throws touchdowns and wins games.

And he's a good player too.
Share 49ersWebzone