There are 262 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
That take is very extreme. Why can it not be both the playcaller and QB elevating one another? No reason to bring one down to raise another.

It is both. Only one person has argued an 80/20 percentage and is now spinning disagreement as wanting to give Kyle all the credit.

Kyle is calling great plays just like he always has. Brock is executing those plays at a high level and is even raising the game on some by making unbelievable throws. He's doing that not just because of mentality, but because he's far superior at playing the position to any other QB Kyle has had since prime Matt Ryan.

Agree 💯%, this is trending towards a hall of fame combo, up there with the past 49er legends. We shall see.

As JD mentioned previously, the Shanahan (dad and son) have a history of being able to have strong running games by getting RB's from basically nowhere. Example: Jordan Mason, who looks like a young Marshall Lynch. As long as Brock has a strong run game, he will never need to have a rocket arm to win enough games to make the playoffs year in and year out. I think that is how good Brock is as a QB. He can win with good (but not great) WR's, and TE's. Add in CMC and Deebo - and you have a possible generational offense at the level of the Greatest Show on Turf or the 1994 49ers.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
That take is very extreme. Why can it not be both the playcaller and QB elevating one another? No reason to bring one down to raise another.

I think it's both also. It's a team game. Brock can't coach, and Kyle can't play QB. Simple.

Of course it's both, I never said it wasn't. Kyle's offense is amazing and his play calling is ELITE. But he is still very conservative and is better off with an aggressive QB who will push the limits of his system and even go outside of it at times. That's what Purdy does.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

It is both. Only one person has argued an 80/20 percentage and is now spinning disagreement as wanting to give Kyle all the credit.

Kyle is calling great plays just like he always has. Brock is executing those plays at a high level and is even raising the game on some by making unbelievable throws. He's doing that not just because of mentality, but because he's far superior at playing the position to any other QB Kyle has had since prime Matt Ryan.

The 80/20 was in reference to the improvement of the offense over Jimmy, particularly the aggressiveness of his passing.

The bolded is literally what I and others have been seeing. Glad to see you finally agree.
Originally posted by Furlow:
The 80/20 was in reference to the improvement of the offense over Jimmy, particularly the aggressiveness of his passing.

The bolded is literally what I and others have been seeing. Glad to see you finally agree.

Jimmy G was good for us he was very efficient but he could not push the ball downfield especially outside the numbers and Kimmy G was not god once the play broke down.

Purdy has a much better arm and we have more deep shots because we had an offseason of KS designing plays fr purdy, This is reason why Ks went after cousins and drafted Lance
  • bud49
  • Veteran
I guess then Jimmy was a QB that liked to go short and Purdy likes to go deep.

I think it's both also. It's a team game. Brock can't coach, and Kyle can't play QB. Simple.

Of course it's both, I never said it wasn't. Kyle's offense is amazing and his play calling is ELITE. But he is still very conservative and is better off with an aggressive QB who will push the limits of his system and even go outside of it at times. That's what Purdy does.

Aggressiveness doesn't always mean success. Aggressiveness rushing the passer is part of the reason Washington let Chase go. Alot of players have flopped in the league being aggressive. Don't think it's very smart to fall in love with this word cause then you're not appreciating what's really going on regarding the gameplan being executed.

Efficiency and Balance.

As someone has said,...this isin't just a bunch of disorganized, off-script stuff we're seeing simply because a player has chosen to go rogue and be "aggressive."
[ Edited by random49er on Dec 2, 2023 at 10:42 PM ]

The improvement over Jimmy is just executing the offense at a high level consistently. Even without the Aiyuk throw the 9ers blow Seattle out.

It's improved because he's better than Jimmy at EVERYTHING.
Originally posted by ritz126:
Jimmy G was good for us he was very efficient but he could not push the ball downfield especially outside the numbers and Kimmy G was not god once the play broke down.

Purdy has a much better arm and we have more deep shots because we had an offseason of KS designing plays fr purdy, This is reason why Ks went after cousins and drafted Lance

Yup. Kyle wants to take the deeper shots. He needed a guy who could do it consistently. He's got exactly what he wants now.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

The improvement over Jimmy is just executing the offense at a high level consistently. Even without the Aiyuk throw the 9ers blow Seattle out.

It's improved because he's better than Jimmy at EVERYTHING.

Come on, don't backpedal now that you agree with me.

Originally posted by bud49:
I guess then Jimmy was a QB that liked to go short and Purdy likes to go deep.

Yeah, Purdy likes his balls, deep.

jimmy seemed so stiff out there now that I've watched Brock and the things he can/does.

Come on, don't backpedal now that you agree with me.

But I don't. I think Kyle is actually great and I can see Brock is actually better at every facet of QB than anyone the team has had under Kyle.

I don't think we agree on either of those points.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Dec 2, 2023 at 9:00 PM ]
Originally posted by Antix:
Originally posted by BrockIsHim:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I hate the anxiety that goes with it but I wouldn't mind seeing the Niners trailing by 7 or more in the 4th quarter so Brock has the opportunity to win a game from behind. That seems to be the biggest complaint that his doubters have. They want to see him step up at a crucial moment with the game on the line. A come back win in Philly would go a long way toward silencing his critics.

On second thought I'd rather see the Niners with a 14 point cushion in the 4th quarter.

Those tight games when we'll need to see a comeback will come soon enough. I need a blowout this game so i can enjoy my beer and laugh every time they show Hurts and their coach up close on the screen

Man, I'm with you. It feels like I'm taking crazy pills sometimes. Somehow dominating all of your opponents is not as good as squeaking out tight wins all the time? Don't get me wrong, winning tight games is important but getting up on teams and holding leads isn't easy either. If we had done that in 2019 we'd have a ring already.

Like you said, close games are coming. Maybe this will be one but I sure as hell aint hoping for it lol.

I find the allure for a QB who plays like s**t for 2.5 quarters and has to win from behind over a QB who is in control from the start to the 4th quarter bench warming because of a blowout quite insane.

I couldn't have said this any better.
Wilson, & now Hurts looking like trash for over 1/2 the game but still pulling off these wins, yea that sucks.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Wonder if Kyle should just install route adjustment options to the offense, Brock already done it for him lol

👀

So u know more football than most people on this forum, but you think that we don't have route adjustments? Interesting...

Again, not the adjustments that Chase Daniel was referring to in his video.

The term 'route adjustment' means a specific thing. I assumed that's what qnnhan was talking about when he said, "Route adjustment". If he was talking about something else, then why would he use the term 'route adjustment'?

What you and Jonny started talking about has always been "sight adjustments" from my understanding. If that's the same as "route adjustment," okay. I guess we need a new term for when a WR's route is on a certain path, and the QB throws a pass that takes him off of that path and towards an open area for a reception. That is what Purdy is ELITE at and how I feel is expanding Kyle's offense beyond the "design." As well as throwing to "clear outs" of/when they are open, even if the play is not designed to go there - assuming it's not Deebo running the clear out because he runs them lazy lol.

This is the play I was referring to. It looks to me like Brock adjusted the throw slightly more to the post to lead Aiyuk open. Both Chase Daniel's and JTO sorta lean to that interpretation. I don't know enough about football to call it anything else other than 'route adjustment ' but sight adjustment seems more fitting to this play.

Also, Alex Smith was breaking down Mahomes and his receivers, Smith indicated that on some plays the receiver have 3 options of running their route depending on how they are covered. Saying Mahomes and his receivers not on the same page at times' so the throws were off.

On some breakdowns CMC has options but does Brock have the same level of options from his receivers as Mahomes....?

So, I think we're getting caught up in some semantics.

Leading a receiver to a spot is between QB and WR.

Like I said about the drift route, the playbook, word for word is, "7 step in breaking route, cut off the outside foot, work to space"

There's a number of routes that baked into the route is, "work to space" "if covered, work back outside" "if open space, turn and present yourself to the QB".

Then there's coverage adjustments where it'll be a slightly different or different route based off the coverage.

Then there's depths of some concepts, which are gameplan specific.

For example, against the Saints last year, they play a lot of M/M principles in zone. (M/M being, man-match). So, to get quick matchups of Deebo on Demario Davis we ran our arches concept at a depth of about 5 yards.

Against Seattle they play a lot softer zone so we ran arches at a depth of 8 or 9 yards.

Does all this help clarify?

Great explanation from both you and THL. Thanks.

It does clarify the amount of information QB's have on there plate at all times knowing that they need to know where all there receivers, backs, etc need to be every down, for every coverage. Wow
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Because Aiyuk's route was FLAT. Purdy threw it more like a post, AWAY from Aiyuk's route path. That's outside the structure of the play/route. Not to mention the check down was wide open. As I keep saying, Purdy is pushing the limits of Kyle's system and play designs. This is a good thing and what you want a QB to do.

Why are you so hell bent on the head coach getting the credit? I'm almost 50 years old and I have never known a group of fans who put the coach in front of the players. So damn strange lol
hell bent ? Not hell bent, but it is false. Your interpretation of what happened is not a fact. so I'm not sure why a 50 YO is so hell bent to make things up to spite the coach.

You were already incorrect on your first attempt on this, now you spinned into another and about to be corrected again.

Purdy is not throwing prayer balls and hoping the Aiyuk is there. Aiyuk should be in that area and no where else

Read

Originally posted by thl408:
Yes, Brock threw Aiyuk open. I agree with Chase(?) that Aiyuk was running more of a Dig. Brock led him to a more open area by leading him to the Post. It is not a 'route adjustment' only because that term is reserved for when the WR changes his route based off the coverage he is seeing (as part of the play's design). I didn't come up with these terms, that's just what it's called. I see where the confusion started now.

The spot that Purdy threw it to Aiyuk was NOT the route nor the design. He does this A LOT. That is Purdy, not Kyle.

Continue worshipping the coach though by all means if that makes you feel good.
one thing for sure, it's not a dig route. If it was a dig that ball is overthrown easy... thats if you know what a dig route is

You can't run a dig and continue to go deep. Aiyuk was the deep option while Kittle was the shorter option in that play call. digs are not deep options as they stop going vertical

for you to be correct, Purdy gambled and threw the ball to where no receiver should be (before his receiver makes his break) while simultaneously Aiyuk running the wrong route (without knowing since he has his back to the QB and before he made his break).

just some back yard ball going on.. and with no mention of it in the presser.. got it

lol
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Dec 2, 2023 at 10:33 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Let me put it in a different way. You can be Aggressive against Dante Johnson, but you better be really conservative against Deion and Lott. That's coaching, specially if Brock has never went against any of these guys.
Share 49ersWebzone