There are 275 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Furlow:
The 80/20 was in reference to the improvement of the offense over Jimmy, particularly the aggressiveness of his passing.

The bolded is literally what I and others have been seeing. Glad to see you finally agree.

The improvement over Jimmy is just executing the offense at a high level consistently. Even without the Aiyuk throw the 9ers blow Seattle out.

It's improved because he's better than Jimmy at EVERYTHING.

Agree, including Durability (Knock on Wood). Jimmy didn't even last 7 games this year.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Because Aiyuk's route was FLAT. Purdy threw it more like a post, AWAY from Aiyuk's route path. That's outside the structure of the play/route. Not to mention the check down was wide open. As I keep saying, Purdy is pushing the limits of Kyle's system and play designs. This is a good thing and what you want a QB to do.

Why are you so hell bent on the head coach getting the credit? I'm almost 50 years old and I have never known a group of fans who put the coach in front of the players. So damn strange lol
hell bent ? Not hell bent, but it is false. Your interpretation of what happened is not a fact. so I'm not sure why a 50 YO is so hell bent to make things up to spite the coach.

You were already incorrect on your first attempt on this, now you spinned into another and about to be corrected again.

Purdy is not throwing prayer balls and hoping the Aiyuk is there. Aiyuk should be in that area and no where else

Read

Originally posted by thl408:
Yes, Brock threw Aiyuk open. I agree with Chase(?) that Aiyuk was running more of a Dig. Brock led him to a more open area by leading him to the Post. It is not a 'route adjustment' only because that term is reserved for when the WR changes his route based off the coverage he is seeing (as part of the play's design). I didn't come up with these terms, that's just what it's called. I see where the confusion started now.

The spot that Purdy threw it to Aiyuk was NOT the route nor the design. He does this A LOT. That is Purdy, not Kyle.

Continue worshipping the coach though by all means if that makes you feel good.
one thing for sure, it's not a dig route. If it was a dig that ball is overthrown easy... thats if you know what a dig route is

You can't run a dig and continue to go deep. Aiyuk was the deep option while Kittle was the shorter option in that play call. digs are not deep options as they stop going vertical

for you to be correct, Purdy gambled and threw the ball to where no receiver should be (before his receiver makes his break) while simultaneously Aiyuk running the wrong route (without knowing since he has his back to the QB and before he made his break).

just some back yard ball going on.. and with no mention of it in the presser.. got it

lol

You know more than Chase Daniel. Got it.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Personally, I *don't want* to see that. Because if you take away Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk and CMC, you will have a below average offense and a non-playoff team. Again, football is a *team* game - don't forget that. What would Joe and Steve be without Jerry and Haley/Fred Dean. l look at Steve after Seifert traded away Haley, Steve could have had multiple super bowls *but for* the stupidity of Seifert. (as an example).

I think one of the reasons Purdy wasn't drafted high is the inability of evaluators to separate Brock's contribution to his College Offense vs. Charlie Kolar, Breece Hall, and Xavier Hutchenson contribution to their offense. I.e. did Joe make Jerry a hall of famer, or did Jerry make Joe a hall of famer? I think that's one of the biggest reasons that a QB drops in the draft is because of the inability of draft evaluators to separate the individuals contribution to the team contribution.

I'm not talking about taking every talented player away....but I am simply being realistic. The way the kid is playing, he's gonna get $50M+ a season...perhaps more. The team simply will not be able to keep all of its top end talent when that happens. If Purdy keeps ascending as an indivual talent, then SF can still maintain its current pace even while losing a Kittle or CMC or Deebo.

Montana was a 2 time SB champion/MVP before Rice ever stepped foot on an NFL field....he was already Canton-bound. He's the extreme case of a guy who made others around him better players. Of course, he needed a lot of talent around him to win Super Bowls, but he had the ability to carry more teammates than pretty much every QB in history. As for Steve Young? Yeah...the team was obviously hurt by the loss of Haley, but if we're honest about it....Young himself was not a big time player in the post season. He was certainly no Joe.
Purdy is a salary cap era player and this has to be taken into account. Just imagine him playing on the Chiefs and Mahomes playing for the Niners. Niners would be everyone's unquestioned SB pick and the Chiefs would probably have to struggle to win their division. Purdy basically coming for free (UDFAs make more money) is a huge part of his success: being cheap is (if not the) one of his greatest assets.

Once he costs 40+ million a year he won't be able to work with 3 all pro skill players and one in the making (who gets 1st round money) and a defense full of stars.

He will need to win games in the 4th quarter and not only beat up on bad teams like Prescott (whom I do not consider being worth his money) if the Niners want to plan their future beyond him costing ~900k. Otherwise they will need to find another Purdy.

In short: imho Purdy still needs to get better to be worth the second contract which he will undoubtedly demand (and get).
Originally posted by zugschef:
Purdy is a salary cap era player and this has to be taken into account. Just imagine him playing on the Chiefs and Mahomes playing for the Niners. Niners would be everyone's unquestioned SB pick and the Chiefs would probably have to struggle to win their division. Purdy basically coming for free (UDFAs make more money) is a huge part of his success: being cheap is (if not the) one of his greatest assets.

Once he costs 40+ million a year he won't be able to work with 3 all pro skill players and one in the making (who gets 1st round money) and a defense full of stars.

He will need to win games in the 4th quarter and not only beat up on bad teams like Prescott (whom I do not consider being worth his money) if the Niners want to plan their future beyond him costing ~900k. Otherwise they will need to find another Purdy.

In short: imho Purdy still needs to get better to be worth the second contract which he will undoubtedly demand (and get).

Saying that the best qb in the league, and arguably one of the best ever, would make us a super bowl fav is ridiculous. Lol

You can say that about a lot of QBs on this team. Doesn't change the fact that Brock is an awesome young qb with a ton of potential. He could of won the super bowl as a rookie, If it wasn't for injuries, and may win it his second year. Dude is so young and playing so well. Who gives a f**k if Mahomes is currently better.

He's better than everyone. Lol
For those saying the 49ers won't be able to keep their stars when they pay Brock, you're not 100% right, by the time his deal costs $50M a year, the cap will be well over $300M a year, and going up $20M a year, by then Trent will have retired, they will, IMO, extend BA & Young, Huf might be a casualty if he can't come back from the ACL injury. Deebo, CMC, Kittle aren't going anywhere, anytime soon, same with Juice, Bosa, Hargrave, Dre, Fred, & Ward, they can keep their core together for as long as possible, they will lose some players, like a Hufanga, or Banks, Lenoir, Mitchell, Jauan Jennings, etc...
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
For those saying the 49ers won't be able to keep their stars when they pay Brock, you're not 100% right, by the time his deal costs $50M a year, the cap will be well over $300M a year, and going up $20M a year, by then Trent will have retired, they will, IMO, extend BA & Young, Huf might be a casualty if he can't come back from the ACL injury. Deebo, CMC, Kittle aren't going anywhere, anytime soon, same with Juice, Bosa, Hargrave, Dre, Fred, & Ward, they can keep their core together for as long as possible, they will lose some players, like a Hufanga, or Banks, Lenoir, Mitchell, Jauan Jennings, etc...

5 years $400m
If Kittle isn't forced into blocking duty I think him and Brock are going to have a big day. The Philly weakness is their LBs and we need to exploit that.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

5 years $400m

It will be a totally different team by then. I hope we rotate in our future plans a high draft pick OT. He can start at RT next year.
Originally posted by mitpdub:
If Kittle isn't forced into blocking duty I think him and Brock are going to have a big day. The Philly weakness is their LBs and we need to exploit that.

Especially with Cunningham out

Originally posted by illinois9er:
Originally posted by mitpdub:

Especially with Cunningham out

I think the eagles plan is to put Byard on Kittle today.
Come on, Brock! Show the eagles D how lucky they got that you got hurt and the beating you're about to put on them, Dallas style. 😍
Because Aiyuk's route was FLAT. Purdy threw it more like a post, AWAY from Aiyuk's route path. That's outside the structure of the play/route. Not to mention the check down was wide open. As I keep saying, Purdy is pushing the limits of Kyle's system and play designs. This is a good thing and what you want a QB to do.

Why are you so hell bent on the head coach getting the credit? I'm almost 50 years old and I have never known a group of fans who put the coach in front of the players. So damn strange lol
hell bent ? Not hell bent, but it is false. Your interpretation of what happened is not a fact. so I'm not sure why a 50 YO is so hell bent to make things up to spite the coach.

You were already incorrect on your first attempt on this, now you spinned into another and about to be corrected again.

Purdy is not throwing prayer balls and hoping the Aiyuk is there. Aiyuk should be in that area and no where else

Read

Yes, Brock threw Aiyuk open. I agree with Chase(?) that Aiyuk was running more of a Dig. Brock led him to a more open area by leading him to the Post. It is not a 'route adjustment' only because that term is reserved for when the WR changes his route based off the coverage he is seeing (as part of the play's design). I didn't come up with these terms, that's just what it's called. I see where the confusion started now.

The spot that Purdy threw it to Aiyuk was NOT the route nor the design. He does this A LOT. That is Purdy, not Kyle.

one thing for sure, it's not a dig route. If it was a dig that ball is overthrown easy... thats if you know what a dig route is

You can't run a dig and continue to go deep. Aiyuk was the deep option while Kittle was the shorter option in that play call. digs are not deep options as they stop going vertical

for you to be correct, Purdy gambled and threw the ball to where no receiver should be (before his receiver makes his break) while simultaneously Aiyuk running the wrong route (without knowing since he has his back to the QB and before he made his break).

just some back yard ball going on.. and with no mention of it in the presser.. got it

lol

Our dude 49ATT knows more than everybody. He's never been wrong.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Read

lol

Our dude 49ATT knows more than everybody. He's never been wrong.
lol Idk how knowing more than Chase daniel or everybody made it in my post...

Read

lol

No, it was 100% a DIG. Not sure where you're getting it wasn't.

Kyle confirmed it was a Dagger concept, from that formation it's what Kyle calls a, "widen dover" which dover is his name for a DIG. His "dig" is an 18 yard stop route down the seam.

You can see from the all-22, that Aiyik breaks to the middle sees ball thrown and then adjusts vertical to the throw.

And no, Kittle wasn't the short option. He ran a thru route which is the route vs MOFC.

Not to be a jackhole here, but you're being pretty snarky for something you're wrong on.

If I wasn't using my comp for watching the games right now I'd post the play along with the all-22 but that's 30 min of my time. You can go watch my Seahawks review and that's the last play I cover.
Share 49ersWebzone