There are 233 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Early in the game I started to write Brock off as I was misled by Jalen's backyard football antics but I could sense that second quarter Brock was about to heat up and once he did it became evident to me that this game was not too big for Brock and that his skill set could win this type of game.

It also became evident to me that Steve Wilks had the perfect game plan in place for Hurts and that we had them exactly where we wanted him. We stayed disciplined in contain pass rush. We dropped guys in coverage while taking away his first reads with sticky coverage and we took away his escape routes and the sideline angles were covered up by our MLBs

We got over the Russell Wilson curse and the only way Hurts was gonna be able to beat us was to become Matt Stafford at that point because Russ had Lynch and Hurts doesn't

Brock has now passed my first test which was to beat Hurts and now I want to see him beat Mahomes and then I have seen all I need to see from Brock and I can be rest assured we've found our 2020s version of Joe Montana. I wasn't sold on Steve Young until he beat Dallas and then I was ready to move on from Joe

I am so glad a lot of you were right about Brock after all thus far. We haven't won it all just yet but I am more certain we can with Brock than I've ever been.

The only QB honestly that's playing at Brock's level right now is Dak Prescott and that's because McCarthy has been running a lot of the same plays and concepts we've been seeing from SF and MIA. McCarthy has gotten a LOT more creative in season for DAL
Like I have been saying forever, we would have won the SB had we not had injuries.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Early in the game I started to write Brock off as I was misled by Jalen's backyard football antics but I could sense that second quarter Brock was about to heat up and once he did it became evident to me that this game was not too big for Brock and that his skill set could win this type of game.

It also became evident to me that Steve Wilks had the perfect game plan in place for Hurts and that we had them exactly where we wanted him. We stayed disciplined in contain pass rush. We dropped guys in coverage while taking away his first reads with sticky coverage and we took away his escape routes and the sideline angles were covered up by our MLBs

We got over the Russell Wilson curse and the only way Hurts was gonna be able to beat us was to become Matt Stafford at that point because Russ had Lynch and Hurts doesn't

Brock has now passed my first test which was to beat Hurts and now I want to see him beat Mahomes and then I have seen all I need to see from Brock and I can be rest assured we've found our 2020s version of Joe Montana. I wasn't sold on Steve Young until he beat Dallas and then I was ready to move on from Joe

I am so glad a lot of you were right about Brock after all thus far. We haven't won it all just yet but I am more certain we can with Brock than I've ever been.

The only QB honestly that's playing at Brock's level right now is Dak Prescott and that's because McCarthy has been running a lot of the same plays and concepts we've been seeing from SF and MIA. McCarthy has gotten a LOT more creative in season for DAL

I thought Brock might be too tight and nervous the first 2 drives, but it could be something else.
Maybe Coach was settling up his money plays for later on in that first quarter…….If we win it all, it's Brock for League MVP
[ Edited by highway49 on Dec 4, 2023 at 5:12 AM ]
Originally posted by Montana:
Like I have been saying forever, we would have won the SB had we not had injuries.

i agree

but i will say i was already a fan of Brock in the offseason and thought he should be the starter (unlike many who thought it should be a competition with Lance) but he has gotten better this year. More downfield throws, the anticipation is better etc

I do think a bit of that is going in to the year we designed a bit more plays for Purdy
Originally posted by ritz126:
i agree

but i will say i was already a fan of Brock in the offseason and thought he should be the starter (unlike many who thought it should be a competition with Lance) but he has gotten better this year. More downfield throws, the anticipation is better etc

I do think a bit of that is going in to the year we designed a bit more plays for Purdy

Seemed pretty clear to me that Lance was competing for QB2 and defo would not be the starter. I was rooting for Lance to be QB2 but I can see why they scrapped the idea eventually. It felt a bit harsh when they traded him out but I can see why they did it. It was better for the team.
i agree

Seemed pretty clear to me that Lance was competing for QB2 and defo would not be the starter. I was rooting for Lance to be QB2 but I can see why they scrapped the idea eventually. It felt a bit harsh when they traded him out but I can see why they did it. It was better for the team.

it was to me and the coaching staff but there were a lot of people who thought Lance should compete for the job either way I don't want to derail the thread didn't mean to
i agree

Yes, the coaching staff made it clear Brock was #1 but the local media did everything they could to prop up Lance and skew the perspective.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Effin incredible. His efficiency is just insane. 9.6 YPA, leads the league in so completion, YPA/YPC, TD% etc - meanwhile near the bottom of the league in pass attempts… that's the most impressive part. His efficiency is history, all while having a below average pass blocking line.

when you look at all the guys who are doing the same as him in nfl history, they all won MVP. So no good reason why he shouldn't be one of the front runners.

five games left and needs 7 touchdowns to hit the 30 mark. If he doesn't get it, no biggie, but I'd love to see a niner qb break 4K yards, 70% completion, AND 30+ TDs in one season.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I thought Brock might be too tight and nervous the first 2 drives, but it could be something else.

I didn't love the play calls on first down. Also, the eagles d line came in hot on those drivers - gotta give 'em credit.

brock has a tendency to start off a little jittery in big games. He always settles down though and balls.

Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

I didn't love the play calls on first down. Also, the eagles d line came in hot on those drivers - gotta give 'em credit.

brock has a tendency to start off a little jittery in big games. He always settles down though and balls.

we came out aggressive

the goal was to attack them deep but the pass rush got there too fast
Originally posted by Shorteous:
i agree

Yes, the coaching staff made it clear Brock was #1 but the local media did everything they could to prop up Lance and skew the perspective.

Lynch said it early in the season (if not right before) - that the playbook this year was tailored to Brock. He made a specific comment about Lance like "he's had a good camp even though the playbook isn't designed for him anymore". Something along those lines.

I thought it was clear and obvious Brock was QB1 and it wasn't up for grabs. The only question was his return from the injury and how it'll impact him, which was a fair and serious question. Lol

man, how the hell we got him with the last pick in the draft is astonishing. Lol
Originally posted by pdc20:
Great game, maybe the best of his career considering the adversity.
What impressed me the most with his performance was how calm he was even during the first two drives of the game.
Jalen Hurts is the same. Looking at them, you can't really know what the score is.
I said it everytime but Purdy's biggest strenght for me is that he's always living in the present. He's never too high, never too low.
He's also the perfect fit for Kyle Shanahan. Kyle doesn't have to change his offense because Purdy is executing it at a high level and Purdy can scramble to help the team when necessary.

I agree with everything except your take on Hurts.

***respectfully***

I think the guy is on Xanax or something similar. (Not an insult to anyone who has a medical need.) He is not just 'calm', he is a little numb...and I don't mean that as a compliment. I watched him in the Chiefs game and the game yesterday (12/3) and I swear he is drugged. He processes slooow. When we took away his first reads, you could almost see the smoke from his mental gears grinding.

Purdy, on the other hand, IS calm...but alert. Take his 1st read, he finds his 2nd or 3rd option. Cover everyone and he buys time while keeping his eyes up field. Night and day difference.

If Hurts wins the MVP...phft! We will have documented proof of East Coast bias.
[ Edited by Mankster on Dec 4, 2023 at 6:14 AM ]
Originally posted by Mankster:
Originally posted by pdc20:
Great game, maybe the best of his career considering the adversity.
What impressed me the most with his performance was how calm he was even during the first two drives of the game.
Jalen Hurts is the same. Looking at them, you can't really know what the score is.
I said it everytime but Purdy's biggest strenght for me is that he's always living in the present. He's never too high, never too low.
He's also the perfect fit for Kyle Shanahan. Kyle doesn't have to change his offense because Purdy is executing it at a high level and Purdy can scramble to help the team when necessary.

I agree with everything except your take on Hurts.

***respectfully***

I think the guy is on Xanax or something similar. (Not an insult to anyone who has a medical need.) He is not just 'calm', he is a little numb...and I don't mean that as a compliment. I watched him in the Chiefs game and the game yesterday (12/3) and I swear he is drugged. He processes slooow. When we took away his first reads, you could almost see the smoke from his mental gears grinding.

As far as him winning the MVP...phft! If that happens, we will have documented proof of 'east coast bias'

Has anyone even seen him looking at a tablet of the previous plays or does he just sit there looking zoned out? I agree, something seems off with this guy

That's what I wanted to see last year if Brock could do it even as a rookie. Could he beat Hurts. Check. Could he beat Mahomes? Undetermined and may not have to. Brock gets the job done he's the undisputed franchise and pay the man I'm going to get my Purdy jersey
Share 49ersWebzone