There are 243 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Brocky Balboa is the perfect QB for our offense, for Kyle, and for the players around him... I would not trade for any QB on the planet over him, Shanalynch keep him healthy and invest in more OL talent please.
damn it feels good to have a QB
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

This is when Brock got us roll'n

Was looking for this play on the official NFL YouTube highlights video and was disappointed that they skipped it. They showed the 12-yard play to Aiyuk right before it, but without this play to Kittle, it would've been our third straight three-and-out. Instead it turned into our first of six TD drives. To me this was the biggest turning point of the game; showed that our offense could be in a big slump for a quarter but then still get rolling (isn't that what Purdy's critics wanted from him??)
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

Was looking for this play on the official NFL YouTube highlights video and was disappointed that they skipped it. They showed the 12-yard play to Aiyuk right before it, but without this play to Kittle, it would've been our third straight three-and-out. Instead it turned into our first of six TD drives. To me this was the biggest turning point of the game; showed that our offense could be in a big slump for a quarter but then still get rolling (isn't that what Purdy's critics wanted from him??)

Kittle and Deebo were both playing like they were possessed yesterday. Kittle is looking like the Kittle of old this year. He rarely goes down at the point he catches the ball.
Most (casual) NFL fans have a warped mentality of what makes a very good QB.

They would rather have the guy who can MAKE THE PHYSICAL PLAYS over a guy who plays the position like a master.

Russell Wilson was always the same QB, it's actually that he got slightly better over time but it was offset with the loss of Lynch and that defense. The Wilson that played in Super Bowls sucked balls as a "real QB", but didn't need him to be a real QB with that level of defense and reliance on Lynch.

Take yesterday's Niner/Eagle game for instance.......that could've very well been a Wilson "start".....first quarter did nothing, defense kept them in it. The huge difference here though, is Wilson never put together 6 consecutive TD drives in the pros (probably college too) and maybe high school, and certainly not in the road/hostile environment. Wilson would've won yesterday's game like 16-6 a decade ago, probably making 2 highlight reel throws and maybe a wicked scramble, and people wouldn't STFU about him.

I hate how myopic fans can be.

BTW, Wilson three interceptions yesterday including the end zone game ender to our boy JIMMY WARD!!! (I'm sure it's gotta rank up there for maybe his favorite all time play.....huge moment, to pick off an old foe....oh man).

I just want WHAT'S RIGHT. I'm not a homer to the point I think every player we have is the best ever/best in the league.....I just want fans to be smarter. It's ok if you're not, then just don't offer your weaker opinion, LOL.

Slight biases are fine, but it's pretty clear Purdy plays traditional QB at top 5 level at this very moment. Does he have to win the Super Bowl to cement it in everyone's minds?

I dunno, possibly.

I'll say this......Garoppolo with this stacked of a team would win games for us, but we're not blowing anybody out. This level of dominance is unprecedented for Shanahan's offense.

Bring in Josh Allen, and maybe the results are the same (in a very different manner).

Purdy, very underrated.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

Such an underrated play. Too bad he didn't run around like a headless chicken first, then it would have made the highlights.
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Top 5 QB In the league. Possibly top 3.

Mahommes
burrow (when healthy)
Brock Montana

those are my top 3.

im still putting Allen there as well

Yeah, Allen is in my top 4. I think Brock, Allen, mahommes, and burrow are the best in the league - pound for pound. Guys you want leading your team.

allen May get the edge right now, he's been playing at a top level for a while. To me, Brock's a top 5 no doubt though.

agreed thats where i personally have him

1) Mahomes
2 Burrow
3) Allen
4) Lamar
5) Purdy

Hmm I can't argue with that. Personally I'd put Lamar right behind Purdy but he has played really well. I just think Brock is a better pocket qb than Lamar but Lamar is super dynamic.

regardless, I think you and I share the same top 5.

when I'm ranking these guys, it's not necessarily who's playing the best RIGHT NOW. It's who I think is the best QB overall. Mahommes has shown to be special and just has an awful situation on offense right now. When burrow has been healthy he has turned a mediocre team into a contender (made a super bowl). I think allen is trying to hard but we all know he can play at an extremely high level, but he's def struggling as a whole to play clean football.

Lamar is behind Purdy to me because I've seen Brock ball out at a super high level in the playoffs and only lose when he couldn't play. I've seen Lamar be crap in the playoffs, so if he changes that narrative this year - that's awesome for him.

I'm just ranking who I think the best QBs are in the league rn, pound for pound. Not necessarily at this moment.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Dec 4, 2023 at 8:47 AM ]
Originally posted by BrockIsHim:
He had CMC underneath for an easy checkdown, but iffy conversion. Instead he made the tougher throw for the absolute conversion. BP is fearless

Everytime I see those guys underneath, my eyes to there cause I'm so used to jimmy always taking it. I love how brock will push the ball downfield and try to guarantee the conversion - instead of hoping a guy can get enough YAC.
It's got to be really frustrating for DCs of other teams to try and stop an offense like this where Kyle calls plays that always seem to have someone open. Unless the pass rush gets to Brock he's going to find that open guy. Usually he has a choice between the short or the deeper play.

Other teams mayhave the play caller but not the weapons. Some might have the weapons but not the right play caller or the QB that can execute. The Niners have all 3 right now.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Most (casual) NFL fans have a warped mentality of what makes a very good QB.

They would rather have the guy who can MAKE THE PHYSICAL PLAYS over a guy who plays the position like a master.

Russell Wilson was always the same QB, it's actually that he got slightly better over time but it was offset with the loss of Lynch and that defense. The Wilson that played in Super Bowls sucked balls as a "real QB", but didn't need him to be a real QB with that level of defense and reliance on Lynch.

Take yesterday's Niner/Eagle game for instance.......that could've very well been a Wilson "start".....first quarter did nothing, defense kept them in it. The huge difference here though, is Wilson never put together 6 consecutive TD drives in the pros (probably college too) and maybe high school, and certainly not in the road/hostile environment. Wilson would've won yesterday's game like 16-6 a decade ago, probably making 2 highlight reel throws and maybe a wicked scramble, and people wouldn't STFU about him.

I hate how myopic fans can be.

BTW, Wilson three interceptions yesterday including the end zone game ender to our boy JIMMY WARD!!! (I'm sure it's gotta rank up there for maybe his favorite all time play.....huge moment, to pick off an old foe....oh man).

I just want WHAT'S RIGHT. I'm not a homer to the point I think every player we have is the best ever/best in the league.....I just want fans to be smarter. It's ok if you're not, then just don't offer your weaker opinion, LOL.

Slight biases are fine, but it's pretty clear Purdy plays traditional QB at top 5 level at this very moment. Does he have to win the Super Bowl to cement it in everyone's minds?

I dunno, possibly.

I'll say this......Garoppolo with this stacked of a team would win games for us, but we're not blowing anybody out. This level of dominance is unprecedented for Shanahan's offense.

Bring in Josh Allen, and maybe the results are the same (in a very different manner).

Purdy, very underrated.

I feel this comment on a spiritual level and I'm going to add on to this:

Not only do casual fans like physical, flashy plays, but they also really like close, flashy wins because they're so entertaining. For some reason, playing like garbage for 53 minutes and then pulling out a 24-23 win at the last minute out of your rear is considered a more highlighting, better quality win than blowing a team out 42-19. Real football fans know that the former just means you played meh or poorly for a much larger portion of the game, but casual football fans eat it up as a "sexy" win like candy while falling asleep and forgetting about blowout wins.

To me, that's the REAL reason why people are so skeptical on Purdy yet basically worshipped Wilson when he was a Seahawk. ESPN showed these game-winning drives like they were legendary hall of fame moments while people get bored watching Purdy do his thing from kickoff (or in the case of yesterday, from the start of the second quarter).

It's extremely unfair. A player who plays brilliantly from start to finish should get a LOT more props than a player who plays terribly for 55 minutes. Anyone remember the 2014 NFC Championship? Wilson literally had a 0.0 passer rating for 3 quarters but the entire league worshipped him the next day

wow Purdy is 3-1 favorite to win MVP

unbelievable
^^^ not bad for a "system QB" LOL
Brock is currently projecting:

70.2% completion
4.5k passing yards
33 passing touchdowns (2 rushing)
9 int
116.1 QBR (75 ESPN QBR).
It's wild that weve won our last four games (since the bye) with a point differential of 134-49. Lol love it
Brock is currently projecting:

70.2% completion
4.5k passing yards
33 passing touchdowns (2 rushing)
9 int
116.1 QBR (75 ESPN QBR).

ESPN had Dak at 75.5 QBR after the seahawks game. Then last night when they updated them they moved Dak up to 75.6 to match Brock. Something fishy going on there.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Dec 4, 2023 at 9:06 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone