LISTEN: Do The 49ers Have Cause For Concern? →

There are 117 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
First I would like to say that I don't believe Jimmy should be benched as of today. But when Purdy entered the game last week it reminded me that we have no idea how capable Mr Irrelevant is… and that information is absolutely critical to our team moving forward.

I've always liked his pocket mobility and quick release. I think he has a natural feel for evading pressure.

So if this team really struggles and is eliminated from the playoffs before week 17. Obviously, Purdy should get some playing time. But I think it's important we find out how good he is regardless. Whether he gets playing time or not remains to be seen. But it will be a negative that we don't give him reps, just like we didn't give Lance many reps.

Because at this point we still have no idea what Trey Lance is and we really need to have a solid backup if Trey struggles or isn't ready to go in 2023. For all we know, Jimmy's the best QB on the team. But we failed to find out with Trey and that could really hurt us next season.

What did you guys think? In what scenario would you think it's reasonable for Purdy to get playing time? Is it about wins? Or QB production? Again I'm not saying I'm there yet.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
First I would like to say that I don't believe Jimmy should be benched as of today. But when Purdy entered the game last week it reminded me that we have no idea how capable Mr Irrelevant is… and that information is absolutely critical to our team moving forward.

I've always liked his pocket mobility and quick release. I think he has a natural feel for evading pressure.

So if this team really struggles and is eliminated from the playoffs before week 17. Obviously, Purdy should get some playing time. But I think it's important we find out how good he is regardless. Whether he gets playing time or not remains to be seen. But it will be a negative that we don't give him reps, just like we didn't give Lance many reps.

Because at this point we still have no idea what Trey Lance is and we really need to have a solid backup if Trey struggles or isn't ready to go in 2023. For all we know, Jimmy's the best QB on the team. But we failed to find out with Trey and that could really hurt us next season.

What did you guys think? In what scenario would you think it's reasonable for Purdy to get playing time? Is it about wins? Or QB production? Again I'm not saying I'm there yet.

He looked terrible. At least if he looked decent in garbage time, I'd consider it. But it sounds like he's learning from Jimmy and sailing his passes high

KS sees this guy every single day. He knows what he can and can't do.

I do think the fact he's even putting on a jersey every gameday is impressive. Means they feel he can handle the backup role if JG goes down. Which is not at all out of the question.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
He looked terrible. At least if he looked decent in garbage time, I'd consider it. But it sounds like he's learning from Jimmy and sailing his passes high

He's a seventh round rookie and he felt the pressure better than Jimmy ever has lol

He had 2 very good throws and 2-3 horrible ones. One of his throws was the most impressive of any QB yesterday, IMO. That doesn't mean he's better than Jimmy or that he should get playing time. But I think there's something there and it's worth talking about.
[ Edited by Waterbear on Oct 24, 2022 at 4:00 PM ]
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

He's a seventh round rookie and he felt the pressure better than Jimmy ever has lol

Agreed 👍🏾

Well that's what he's stuck watching day in and day out. Taking pointers from the field goal king of San Francisco himself, 2picks. Yikes
Lol that one play.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Lol that one play.

that was funny.

wish we could have seen him throw one.
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Lol that one play.

that was funny.

wish we could have seen him throw one.

There was some random stat where he's the only Mr. Irrelevant to ever throw a completed forward pass in a regular season game lol.

Just wanted to give Purdy his props. Regardless of who was at fault on that missed handoff, I suspect it was Mason, Brock did exactly the right which was to run where the play should have gone and he ended up with 9 yards. Head's up play on his part....or dumb luck.
[ Edited by 49ers81 on Nov 22, 2022 at 5:36 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Just wanted to give Purdy his props. Regardless of who was at fault on that missed handoff, I suspect it was Mason, Brock did exactly the right which was to run where the play should have gone and he ended up with 9 yards. Head's up play on his part....or dumb luck.

LOL
Hopefully this guy never takes a meaningful snap
Originally posted by 49ers_Life:
Hopefully this guy never takes a meaningful snap

HOPEFULLY he does.. we need to give a player the chance to show if he can play in the NFL.. if he can, then it was worth drafting him because it means that we can trust him if he ever needs to play for a game or two..

and if he shows NO hope of being an NFL player, then we need to move on..
I remember Lance doing a very similar ghost feed during preseason sometime.
Share 49ersWebzone