There are 247 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Dolphins helped set all this in motion.

Jimmy's injuries have almost always been a blessing in disguise for this franchise.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Wouldnt have blamed them. Whole forum thought the season was over.

It's one of the most incredible stories in the history of sports right now.

He was solid against Miami, impressive for a 7th round rookie no doubt but nothing to where most weren't wondering how quickly Garoppolo would be back after the game. For me it was this play right before half time against Tampa where it seemed like he really could be the guy:

Kyle trusts this guy to just toss it up like that before the half when you were already in FG range and with a big lead?

Still can't believe the announcers couldn't figure out this was a catch lol
Originally posted by Montana:

Olsen is such a tool.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Trey who?

As much as Kyle got *unlucky* with Trey, he definitely made up the luck side with Purdy. You just don't find Hall of fame QB's in the first round every draft. Yes, you do find good QB's in the first round, but not generational talent like that level in the first through seventh rounds. The Purdy pick, I agree with Trent Williams, was a lotto pick that paid.

Where Kyle gets the credit is in not holding back in moving forward with Purdy once Purdy proved he could perform in regular season and playoff games. A lot of coaches (and GMs, so credit to Lynch, too) would be afraid to take the media heat in moving on from Lance for a QB like Purdy coming off an arm injury. But Shanalynch trusted how Purdy performed on the field, in practice, and in the classroom and didn't hesitate to move forward.

Agree, this was the moment Kyle decided Brock was a legit NFL QB.

All told, Miami blitzed Purdy 13 times, with Purdy going 8-of-12 for 54 yards while being sacked once.
"Brock came in and made some big plays," coach Kyle Shanahan said. "We have got to clean some stuff up, obviously, but just throwing him in there in the heat of battle like that, how much zero (coverage) that team did too, as you guys can see that was a big plan of theirs and they had some good adjustments taking away some of our hot throws, so we were able to change a lot of stuff on the fly and put a lot of pressure on him that way and I thought he did a hell of a job doing it."
https://www.espn.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/41860/brock-purdy-overcame-that-whole-butterfly-feeling-in-leading-49ers-to-crucial-victory

He was solid against Miami, impressive for a 7th round rookie no doubt but nothing to where most weren't wondering how quickly Garoppolo would be back after the game. For me it was this play right before half time against Tampa where it seemed like he really could be the guy:

Kyle trusts this guy to just toss it up like that before the half when you were already in FG range and with a big lead?

That was special. The nerve to pump-fake and stand in there to deliver that pass was epic.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by Montana:

Olsen is such a tool.

Anyone remember the catch vs Atlanta in the playoffs? I think it was Harry Douglas. They ruled it a catch but it was moving and was way less controlled than Aiyuk's TD.

Incredible. Can't wait for the
2023 San Francisco 49ers America's Game

I thought Brock was incredible during the Miami game. I couldn't believe his composure. That's what stuck out to me the most. He just looked like he had been running this team for years. Lol

Just a beauty, absolutely perfect throw. Pump-fake Purdy is my favorite Purdy:)

I was dumbfounded during that game. The SEA game after that, I knew without a doubt we found the next great Niner qb and never looked back. Lol when it hit me during the SEA game, this is what I thought to myself, "The NFL will never be same, it's forever changed by a guy named Brock Purdy". That was my exact thought. Then, honestly, lol my eyes got slightly misty and I had to take a minute to absorb it all in. I knew I was witnessing history in the making. Amazing:).

Helluva catch by Aiyuk, when he finally wants to include himself into Purdy's highlights

same. it was this game that made me a believer. i thought our season was over once jimmy went down vs miami
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

same. it was this game that made me a believer. i thought our season was over once jimmy went down vs miami

Seen it this morning on Twitter. It's like looking at an older picture of your kid lol

I was a believer in Brock in the Miami game. No one comes in cold as a rookie backup and play like that if he doesn't have it. Brock has it.
Pardon me if the Mike Sando article in The Athletic has already been covered, but here is the essence of Purdy's status in the MVP race:

Sando looked at the past 10 MVP winners and how they stood in YAC, EPA, "weapons", play-callers, and the current trend line.

1. Naysayers have claimed BP's passing numbers have been inflated by YAC. His current YAC % is 48.5. The average of the past 10 MVPs is 48%. (Mahomes in 2022 was 55%.) Purdy is right on pace with the past 10 winners.

2, Looking at three key categories, EPA, EPA/PP, and Total TDs, all the past 10 were at or near the top in all three categories. Purdy is currently #1 in EPA, EPA/PPs, and #3 in Total TDs. Prescott is close behind with Allen in 3rd.

3. Some have argued that Brock's numbers are the result of "weapons" and a good play caller, however, Sando pointed out that all past winners have had "weapons" and a play caller. In Sando's words, "Purdy benefits from a differentiating play caller and multiple strong receivers. So did Joe Montana (1989, 1990), Steve Young (1992), Brett Favre (1995-97), Kurt Warner (1999, 2001), Tom Brady (2007), Matt Ryan (2016) and so many others. That is how MVP seasons come together." All five of Montana and Favre's MVP awards came with Mike Holmgren calling the plays.

4. Looking at all the data for 2023 QBs, Purdy is just above Prescott and only slightly below the line for the average game-by-game performance of the past 10 winners.

CONCLUSION: Brock Purdy is not only IN the conversation for 2023 MVP, but he is also LEADING it.

PS. Now about CMC...
Share 49ersWebzone