There are 218 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Heroism:

Purdy thinks soo much about Football, he doesn't have time to think about his Outfit. The same as Einstein.
[ Edited by SlipAndSlideBosa on Dec 4, 2023 at 4:17 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Mankster:
Let's take a moment and consider what the GOAT has to say about Purdy and Co. (spoiler alert...it's aging well)

Can Purdy take them all the way?
How would Joe like to play for this Niner team

The REAL Goat!

Tom's Great! but I think Brock can be Tom 2.0 if a good portion of things break Brock's way.

As a comparison, I like Montana more than Brady as a comp for Brock. The calm processing that Purdy has is what Montana had from the beginning.

Being on the West Coast, I didn't see many of Brady's early games so I can't say authoritatively that Brady had Brock's processing speed from the beginning, but I did see Montana as he developed and he had what Purdy has. Consequently, for me, the only comp between Brady and Brock is the late draft pick. Otherwise, this is a San Francisco story.

Joe and Tom for sure are generational talents, and I think Purdy has the potential for a career like Tom and Joe. His elite processing definitely is Joe-esque and Tom-esque. The only thing now is for Brock to win at the highest levels. Regular season games is another level from pre-season games. Playoff games are another level from regular season games. The fastest and most intense games are at the NFC Championship and ultimately the Super Bowl levels. The difference between the winner and loser in the highest level games is generally *one play.* A team and all players, to win a super bowl, have to play pretty much perfectly or they will lose.

Example the goal line stand in 1981, by Hacksaw and the defense. That was played perfectly. One mistake there and it's a Bengal win.
The problem I have with those rules violations is they were caught. So how many times were they violating the rules and *not caught?* Remember those were *two* violations, how many other rules/cheating violations they were *never* caught?

Tom's lost games prior to playing in the super bowl too. so what.

The point is that losing in lower rounds of the playoffs is less impressive than losing in the Super Bowl. 4-0 is not as impressive as 7-3… putting aside the fact that this is a team accomplishment in the first place.

Relax, I'm not arguing Tom over Joe lol. That argument is settled outside of our fanbase.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
The problem I have with those rules violations is they were caught. So how many times were they violating the rules and *not caught?* Remember those were *two* violations, how many other rules/cheating violations they were *never* caught?

Tom's lost games prior to playing in the super bowl too. so what.

The point is that losing in lower rounds of the playoffs is less impressive than losing in the Super Bowl. 4-0 is not as impressive as 7-3… putting aside the fact that this is a team accomplishment in the first place.

Relax, I'm not arguing Tom over Joe lol. That argument is settled outside of our fanbase.

Well my point is that all the wins and losses are called into question with regards to Tom. Again, my point, how many cheating and code violations that Tom and the Patriots - have *NOT* been caught in? Tom's wins - at whatever level, and throughout his career to me are questionable whereas Joe's wins and losses are more legit. A player willing to go with deflate-gate and film gate violations is a player you really don't know how good he is because of those violations. Again, just my opinion. Everybody has opinions and they all stink.
I like that BP isn't all into fashion statements. Looks like a dude you can have a beer with at the local country club and shoot some pool with lol.
[ Edited by Montana on Dec 4, 2023 at 4:25 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Montana:
I like that BP isn't all into fashion statements. Looks like a dude you can have a beer with at the local country club and pool with lol.

He has to budget for his clothing. He's paid minimum NFL wage right now.
Let's take a moment and consider what the GOAT has to say about Purdy and Co. (spoiler alert...it's aging well)

The REAL Goat!

Tom's Great! but I think Brock can be Tom 2.0 if a good portion of things break Brock's way.

As a comparison, I like Montana more than Brady as a comp for Brock. The calm processing that Purdy has is what Montana had from the beginning.

Being on the West Coast, I didn't see many of Brady's early games so I can't say authoritatively that Brady had Brock's processing speed from the beginning, but I did see Montana as he developed and he had what Purdy has. Consequently, for me, the only comp between Brady and Brock is the late draft pick. Otherwise, this is a San Francisco story.

Joe and Tom for sure are generational talents, and I think Purdy has the potential for a career like Tom and Joe. His elite processing definitely is Joe-esque and Tom-esque. The only thing now is for Brock to win at the highest levels. Regular season games is another level from pre-season games. Playoff games are another level from regular season games. The fastest and most intense games are at the NFC Championship and ultimately the Super Bowl levels. The difference between the winner and loser in the highest level games is generally *one play.* A team and all players, to win a super bowl, have to play pretty much perfectly or they will lose.

Example the goal line stand in 1981, by Hacksaw and the defense. That was played perfectly. One mistake there and it's a Bengal win.

I agree with the premise, "Until..."

It is all about reaching that stage of comfort in big games where you can see John Candy sitting in the stands, chuckle about it, and then throw the pass that wins the ring. Until Purdy throws that pass, we will all wonder and hope. I believe he has the same ice Joe had.
Well my point is that all the wins and losses are called into question with regards to Tom. Again, my point, how many cheating and code violations that Tom and the Patriots - have *NOT* been caught in? Tom's wins - at whatever level, and throughout his career to me are questionable whereas Joe's wins and losses are more legit. A player willing to go with deflate-gate and film gate violations is a player you really don't know how good he is because of those violations. Again, just my opinion. Everybody has opinions and they all stink.

I was trying to put that aside and focus on the idea that not losing a Super Bowl is better than making it to one.

it's an argument I think is probably more relevant to people being overly upset when we lost the SB to the Ravens for example. 'We lost our perfect record'… while somehow discounting the fact that we had/have an abysmal conference championship record etc. We're 5-52 in Super Bowls ;)
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

The REAL Goat!

I agree with the premise, "Until..."

It is all about reaching that stage of comfort in big games where you can see John Candy sitting in the stands, chuckle about it, and then throw the pass that wins the ring. Until Purdy throws that pass, we will all wonder and hope. I believe he has the same ice Joe had.

I definitely think Purdy can do it, but for now, he hasn't. To me - until he actually plays in the super bowl and does well, it's all conjecture.

Tom's a great QB, no question, but what is the deciding factor for me between Tom and Joe is that Joe doesn't have deflate gate and film gate in his Hall of Fame resume. In addition to all that you said about no interceptions and no super bowl losses. yes Tom has won more super bowl games than Joe, but he's (like you said) has lost more super bowl games than Joe.

Never understood or agreed with the idea that losing before the Super Bowl is a factor that would count for you in any kind of comparison, team or player.

Meh. Throw that out if you want. Look at the rule changes and imagine how Joe or Dan Marino would perform with them. Like Joe said, wouldn't have had 27 surgeries. Guys like them would have rolled up insane numbers. If we don't account for the fact that the game has changed...then you can't really compare the numbers and longevity.

Now...here's to hoping that BROCK PURDY wins not just this year, but AT LEAST 7 SBs. I'll gladly pass the GOAT title to the next Niner great.
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Thanks for posting. Wasn't looking forward to sifting through the rest of the show, lol.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I was trying to put that aside and focus on the idea that not losing a Super Bowl is better than making it to one.

it's an argument I think is probably more relevant to people being overly upset when we lost the SB to the Ravens for example. 'We lost our perfect record'… while somehow discounting the fact that we had/have an abysmal conference championship record etc. We're 5-52 in Super Bowls ;)

No, it's about CHEATING. How good *is* Tom in beating teams if he cheats and nobody catches him cheating, is my point. Nobody really knows, probably, including the cheater himself. Bill Walsh, Seifert, Joe and Steve were never caught cheating in any game as far as I know.
Meh. Throw that out if you want. Look at the rule changes and imagine how Joe or Dan Marino would perform with them. Like Joe said, wouldn't have had 27 surgeries. Guys like them would have rolled up insane numbers. If we don't account for the fact that the game has changed...then you can't really compare the numbers and longevity.

Now...here's to hoping that BROCK PURDY wins not just this year, but AT LEAST 7 SBs. I'll gladly pass the GOAT title to the next Niner great.

From your lips to God's ears.
Share 49ersWebzone