There are 270 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by 1251alex:
Honestly it's pretty crazy how much Curry and Purdy are perceived early in their career. Not a lot of fans respected Steph cause of his unassuming looks until they realized how much of a cool blooded killer he actually is. Brock is starting to do the same. Of course he gotta win a ring, but I've never felt so confident in a 49er qb in my life. Keep in mind I started watching football around the time Alex Smith got drafted....

I too started watching during the Nolan years and have never seen a 49er QB like Purdy. Its exciting.

Yeah, I started watching 49ers ball around 2004. Got heavy into following it when we drafted Alex smith and studied our teams history like a maniac.

You know our generation are real ass fans because we've only seen like 6 winning seasons in our lives and 2 super bowls, 0 wins. lol

WE ARE DYING FOR ELITE QB PLAY AND SUPERBOWLS!

There was a time where we were looking forward to watching 49er football with Troy Smith as our QB. Purdy feels like a legitimate franchise QB. Going into game excited and not nervous to watch my qb play is such a new feeling.

remember nate davis? "we want Carr!". Shaun Hill. JT Osullivan. Kap (Good and bad). etc etc. it's been rough.

At least Jimmy was a decent QB, I think thats why so many of us liked him - he was way better than anything we've seen in decades.

Brock is amazing and elite. It's seriously the most fun I've ever had watching 49ers game.

the biggest reason is coaching. Before harbugh no QB had a chance. I think Alex would've killed it in this system

But i agree its really nice not worrying about Qb play its been forever not worrying about it
[ Edited by ritz126 on Dec 4, 2023 at 7:56 PM ]

sometime I forget how Hurts V Purdy has been intense since college. lol if you watch the final play where brock threw the pick (different camera angles than in this video) - it was actually a dime and hit his guy in the chest, but he lets the DB rip it out and its called a pick. bummer - insane game. He was super clutch in this game, especially against a WAY better team with exponentially more talent. if it wasn't for brock, they had no business being in that game.

I didn't forget, this OK/Iowa game was kind of top of mind when we went in to Philly. I just hoped BP could win over Hurts. Not only won but smoked his ass. Not only that..but BP is clearly the better qb. Hurts is overrated.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

On that Jauan TD, OLine picked up the blitz. JTO's QB review of Brock, you can see how the OLine gives Brock the time he needs to pass the ball. As the poster said, the OLine is stepping up and getting better and better.
Originally posted by ritz126:
the biggest reason is coaching. Before harbugh no QB had a chance. I think Alex would've killed it in this system

But i agree its really nice not worrying about Qb play its been forever not worrying about it

There is a lot of truth to that. I think Alex got royally shafted here - Nolan messed up his shoulder/confidence/changed his system 1000 times.

I don't think Alex Smith would of ever been the purdy type, aka elite, but a really good qb. Coaching has been a disaster here outside of Harbaugh and Kyle.
Originally posted by Giedi:

On that Jauan TD, OLine picked up the blitz. JTO's QB review of Brock, you can see how the OLine gives Brock the time he needs to pass the ball. As the poster said, the OLine is stepping up and getting better and better.

I WAS THE POSTER. hahaha but yeah, I actually am impressed with them because thats the eagles strength.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

There is a lot of truth to that. I think Alex got royally shafted here - Nolan messed up his shoulder/confidence/changed his system 1000 times.

I don't think Alex Smith would of ever been the purdy type, aka elite, but a really good qb. Coaching has been a disaster here outside of Harbaugh and Kyle.
Agree, and keep in mind Kyle's coaching staff gets raided *every YEAR!* and he still is outcoaching the other teams.
Originally posted by 1251alex:
Honestly it's pretty crazy how much Curry and Purdy are perceived early in their career. Not a lot of fans respected Steph cause of his unassuming looks until they realized how much of a cool blooded killer he actually is. Brock is starting to do the same. Of course he gotta win a ring, but I've never felt so confident in a 49er qb in my life. Keep in mind I started watching football around the time Alex Smith got drafted....

I too started watching during the Nolan years and have never seen a 49er QB like Purdy. Its exciting.

Yeah, I started watching 49ers ball around 2004. Got heavy into following it when we drafted Alex smith and studied our teams history like a maniac.

You know our generation are real ass fans because we've only seen like 6 winning seasons in our lives and 2 super bowls, 0 wins. lol

WE ARE DYING FOR ELITE QB PLAY AND SUPERBOWLS!

There was a time where we were looking forward to watching 49er football with Troy Smith as our QB. Purdy feels like a legitimate franchise QB. Going into game excited and not nervous to watch my qb play is such a new feeling.

remember nate davis? "we want Carr!". Shaun Hill. JT Osullivan. Kap (Good and bad). etc etc. it's been rough.

At least Jimmy was a decent QB, I think thats why so many of us liked him - he was way better than anything we've seen in decades.

Brock is amazing and elite. It's seriously the most fun I've ever had watching 49ers game.

the biggest reason is coaching

Beforel harbugh no QB had a chance

Oh boy. Nate Davis. I still wish we gave him a shot in the regular season. He had a goddamn cannon. Too bad he was dyslexic or something and that probably messed up playcalling for him.

And yeah, having Nolan and Singletary would've been rough for anyone. The fact that Alex Smith turned out to have a fine career after surviving those 2 is so impressive. I honestly wonder what would happen if he were drafted in Kyle's era instead of Nolans tenure?

But all in all, I'm glad we got Purdy. This guy was not supposed to be this good. But it goes to show you how much the intangibles matter. This guy breathes football, and he's getting better each game. Idk how, but it seems like his arm might be a bit stronger than last years. He processes the game like a vet. He must be super coach able because I don't know if many rookies and 2nd years can do what he's been able to do. Plus he's a lot faster than you think. When we drafted Trey, we imagined him being the one throwing deep bombs and producing long runs. But Brock has done exactly that and probably even better than what we expected from Trey. I hope he is a niner forever and we ger multiple rings with him.

Agree, and keep in mind Kyle's coaching staff gets raided *every YEAR!* and he still is outcoaching the other teams.

Kyle has done an excellent job at filling the defensive coaches, which is extremely impressive. The good part about him being the OC/play designer - we will always have our system.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I WAS THE POSTER. hahaha but yeah, I actually am impressed with them because thats the eagles strength.

Agree, the Eagles DLine is no joke. Yet the 49ers OLine handled them. That's a big test passed, and another test is the Baltimore Ravens. But so far so good with the OLine. OLine is a big part of those 5 yard passes over the middle. If the OLine doesn't knock down the DLines arms (or do a good job punching the DLinemen in the stomach to bring those arms down) Purdy can't hit Deebo on those passes that go for 40+ yards in YAC.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
I became a fan toward the end of Steve's career, so I missed out on live watching the glory years. But... of course like most 49er fans I read, bought copies of games, and obsessed enough to know. So, while I saw some of him live, I've still had way more years of mediocrity and ass at QB. This is a great time.

I was lucky enough to see some of the Montana years. They were indeed glorious. Superbowl XXIV will always be one of my fave childhood memories. I laughed the entire time at Elway. He sucked so bad. I was so excited about the win, that I wrote some silly poem in my journal. I can't remember how it went but I think it some of it went,.."Joe got a TD on every pass, while Denver just sat there and picked their ass. We watched them cry, we watched them groan, they know they got wasted in the Superbowl" lolol .

Joe and BW are totally responsible for me falling in love with football, fast and hard.

Agree, the Eagles DLine is no joke. Yet the 49ers OLine handled them. That's a big test passed, and another test is the Baltimore Ravens. But so far so good with the OLine. OLine is a big part of those 5 yard passes over the middle. If the OLine doesn't knock down the DLines arms (or do a good job punching the DLinemen in the stomach to bring those arms down) Purdy can't hit Deebo on those passes that go for 40+ yards in YAC.

I'd be really curious to see how the O line has been doing since the bye week - anyone have any data on that? they've def improved as the season has gone on.
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Because Aiyuk's route was FLAT. Purdy threw it more like a post, AWAY from Aiyuk's route path. That's outside the structure of the play/route. Not to mention the check down was wide open. As I keep saying, Purdy is pushing the limits of Kyle's system and play designs. This is a good thing and what you want a QB to do.

Why are you so hell bent on the head coach getting the credit? I'm almost 50 years old and I have never known a group of fans who put the coach in front of the players. So damn strange lol
hell bent ? Not hell bent, but it is false. Your interpretation of what happened is not a fact. so I'm not sure why a 50 YO is so hell bent to make things up to spite the coach.

You were already incorrect on your first attempt on this, now you spinned into another and about to be corrected again.

Purdy is not throwing prayer balls and hoping the Aiyuk is there. Aiyuk should be in that area and no where else

Read

Originally posted by thl408:
Yes, Brock threw Aiyuk open. I agree with Chase(?) that Aiyuk was running more of a Dig. Brock led him to a more open area by leading him to the Post. It is not a 'route adjustment' only because that term is reserved for when the WR changes his route based off the coverage he is seeing (as part of the play's design). I didn't come up with these terms, that's just what it's called. I see where the confusion started now.

The spot that Purdy threw it to Aiyuk was NOT the route nor the design. He does this A LOT. That is Purdy, not Kyle.

Continue worshipping the coach though by all means if that makes you feel good.
one thing for sure, it's not a dig route. If it was a dig that ball is overthrown easy... thats if you know what a dig route is

You can't run a dig and continue to go deep. Aiyuk was the deep option while Kittle was the shorter option in that play call. digs are not deep options as they stop going vertical

for you to be correct, Purdy gambled and threw the ball to where no receiver should be (before his receiver makes his break) while simultaneously Aiyuk running the wrong route (without knowing since he has his back to the QB and before he made his break).

just some back yard ball going on.. and with no mention of it in the presser.. got it

lol

No, it was 100% a DIG. Not sure where you're getting it wasn't.

Kyle confirmed it was a Dagger concept, from that formation it's what Kyle calls a, "widen dover" which dover is his name for a DIG. His "dig" is an 18 yard stop route down the seam.

You can see from the all-22, that Aiyik breaks to the middle sees ball thrown and then adjusts vertical to the throw.

And no, Kittle wasn't the short option. He ran a thru route which is the route vs MOFC.

Not to be a jackhole here, but you're being pretty snarky for something you're wrong on.

If I wasn't using my comp for watching the games right now I'd post the play along with the all-22 but that's 30 min of my time. You can go watch my Seahawks review and that's the last play I cover.
Digs don't go vertical. If BA ran a dig that ball gets overthrown. In no way does BA run a lazy enough route where he can break off his route called without knowing where the ball would be after the ball was thrown. Some may be reading into that in step as being a dig but it couldn't be

Like i said, the chance of two players throwing and running to where they shouldn't be and connecting is pretty wild. Throw in that both of them didn't know the ball was thrown or know the receiver ran a different route. Which is what furlow is saying. "Purdy and BA are not playing what Kyle called"

Watch the all-22, dude. Aiyuk CLEARLY breaks IN and THEN changes his route vertically after he sees the pass coming in. At this point you're arguing against Chase Daniel (a former NFL QB and current analyst) and jonnydel who knows the most about the Niners offense of anyone on the Zone. Come on now.
no matter who breaks down the film, it's all opinion which has been said multiple times by Cosell, Jto, Chase.

that extra step is just a step and not a route. There are posts that have that move in them.

But this is not about Chase or whoever. this is about what you said That both player did not follow the play called to spite the coach

Kyle confirmed it was a Dagger. Don't know why this is an argument. It's a play we run like 3x a game every game.

I'm not saying it's a deep in just because. I've seen that play at least 40x the past 2 seasons. I think I know what it looks like.
So you agree with furlow that Purdy/Aiuyk is not following Kyle'a play call cause that is not Kyle's design ?

You're making a lot more out of it. It was a Dagger concept vs cover-3 buzz. The buzz safety didn't drop too far down, had depth but the FS and WILL grabbed Kittles thru route so Purdy led Aiyuk farther upfield, over the buzz safety. He led Aiyik into space. But the read was good in the 3rd level.

yeah. Kyle confirmed it was a dagger. end of discussion. I even tweeted his confirmation at you before you knew too haha
except that wasn't the discussion
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Kyle has done an excellent job at filling the defensive coaches, which is extremely impressive. The good part about him being the OC/play designer - we will always have our system.

Just my opinion, but a big part of Kyle's ability to hire good coaches is Papa Shanahan. I think he has a big influence on Adam Peters and John Lynch in hiring the kind of coaches that will work and do a good job for Kyle. My worry, and it's not yet a big worry, is what happens when Papa Shanahan isn't around anymore to help the front office out in hiring coaches. Walsh had John McVay come as his GM, who was a NY Giant's coach in his day. I'm thinking if Papa Shanahan is not here anymore then bump up (somehow) Adam and Lynch up into the president/vice president level and get a good coach like either a Wilks 2.0 or a Anthony Lynn 2.0 - guys that have head coaching experience to be the GM. Just thoughts.

im not a Stephen a fan but he is a Philly fan. So this is cool
Jalen Hurts was under pressure on 32 of his 52 dropbacks, or 61.5 percent. This was predominantly because of the plan to contain the quarterback while allowing him to hold the ball.

Hurts average time to throw/sack/scramble on Sunday was 3.85 seconds, while Purdy saw an average of only 2.58 seconds.

Both Ambry Thomas and Charvarius Ward were credited with three pass breakups, per PFF grading. Ward leads the NFL with 15 pass breakups.
Share 49ersWebzone