LISTEN: Were The 49ers Exposed In Week 2? →

There are 150 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I'll never stop saying this until it happens!!! THE NFL NEEDS BROCK PURDY TO WIN THE SUPER BOWL!!! I bet the ratings are high as f**k when they show 9er games!!! They thought Michael Oher was a story, they haven't seen nothing yet!!!

The Brock Purdy story!!!

That's what I've been saying. Possible titles would be

The Brock Purdy Story
Mr. Irrelevant

Lets hear some more possible movie titles.
Originally posted by Oregon49erfan:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I'll never stop saying this until it happens!!! THE NFL NEEDS BROCK PURDY TO WIN THE SUPER BOWL!!! I bet the ratings are high as f**k when they show 9er games!!! They thought Michael Oher was a story, they haven't seen nothing yet!!!

The Brock Purdy story!!!

That's what I've been saying. Possible titles would be

The Brock Purdy Story
Mr. Irrelevant

Lets hear some more possible movie titles.

The movie would be Mr Relevant
Mr Irrelevant, he did so well, that no one is gonna be called that anymore he finished that
Originally posted by Furlow:
All of this. We keep hearing about his "value above replacement" and how there wouldn't be much drop off if you inserted any QB here. As if we don't have YEARS of examples of replacement QB play. Purdy is light years beyond anything we've seen under Kyle.

Agreed. I'm not even sure if you plugged the supposed elite QBs into shanahans system Allen or mahomes you would get equal results.

Obviously it's not the physical aspects that are making purdy great. It's mental fortitude and processing power along with the elite 10 yard split.

Shanahan would not change his system if mahomes or Allen could not regularly get to their third or fourth read. He would just keep them pigeonholed into his scheme.

Wins above replacement is stupid because the only thing that matters is Superbowl wins. Who cares if your always in the playoffs every season. A QB will need to be able to beat 3 or 4 good teams in a row to win a SB.

I really don't care if you can perpetually go 2-1 your entire career if you can't beat 3-4 good teams in a row. That just makes your a dak, Lamar, Romo choke artist in my book.
Find it weird one of the media narratives is Brock isn't capable of making plays outside of Shanahan system. When that's all he mostly done in college. He had to do it because his team didn't have as much playmakers. He's now on a Niner team with playmakers at every position. He's now making plays in a different way, by being quick with the decisions, timing, anticipation, accuracy. Get the ball out to the playmakers, let them make plays. Brock is capable of play both style. But he has learned very quickly, like Steve Young did, the offense is more efficient and undefendable if he becomes a high level distributor. Not take it upon himself to make plays off schedule.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Find it weird one of the media narratives is Brock isn't capable of making plays outside of Shanahan system. When that's all he mostly done in college. He had to do it because his team didn't have as much playmakers. He's now on a Niner team with playmakers at every position. He's now making plays in a different way, by being quick with the decisions, timing, anticipation, accuracy. Get the ball out to the playmakers, let them make plays. Brock is capable of play both style. But he has learned very quickly, like Steve Young did, the offense is more efficient and undefendable if he becomes a high level distributor. Not take it upon himself to make plays off schedule.

Think it's just as simple as outside of the Cowboys game, Brock hasn't had his best performances, especially in this context, in prime time. He had a nice stat line in the Eagles game, but it was mostly short passing with the playmakers making great plays.

I'm not knocking him at all to be clear. But to get the full picture of what he's doing you'd have to he watching all the games and reviewing film… which is not happening by a lot of the hot take/talk show media members.
  • bud49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Exactly with Jimmy if it was not there he just ate the ball or still threw it hoping it would find its way through.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Yeah he's right of course.
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Agreed. I'm not even sure if you plugged the supposed elite QBs into shanahans system Allen or mahomes you would get equal results.

Obviously it's not the physical aspects that are making purdy great. It's mental fortitude and processing power along with the elite 10 yard split.

Shanahan would not change his system if mahomes or Allen could not regularly get to their third or fourth read. He would just keep them pigeonholed into his scheme.

Wins above replacement is stupid because the only thing that matters is Superbowl wins. Who cares if your always in the playoffs every season. A QB will need to be able to beat 3 or 4 good teams in a row to win a SB.

I really don't care if you can perpetually go 2-1 your entire career if you can't beat 3-4 good teams in a row. That just makes your a dak, Lamar, Romo choke artist in my book.

Need that elite Hue Jackson scheme instead
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Better clip than what I posted. And perfectly said by Vick.

• Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dirtydonedirtcheap69:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
For the record, I for one like the QB Schools

I do too. I always watch it when it's Brock videos. I also think JT is a little bitter and/or has too big of an ego. Which I think he said that on one of his videos.

I don't think he's bitter, he loves the game, and it's nice to see all 22 and from the QB perspective. Naturally he has throws, concepts, a certain brand or style that he likes, but he seems pretty fair about saying, "For me" I like such and such..
Big keys for him seem to be footwork, timing, playing within the structure of the offense, and playing with anticipation, and no turndowns, when the play is there, throw it. So he should be into Brock he's doing all that stuff, I haven't seen maybe the most recent one or so

JT does a great job and yes he absolutely loves football. I actually played one season with him in college, I was a senior and he was a freshman. Good dude and extremely talented. His shortcomings as an NFL player have nothing to do with his knowledge of the game or ability to analyze it. As far as the Niners, he absolutely loves the team, the system, the coach, the players, etc. Purdy is usually his first release of each week. Yes he questions some play calls, play designs, effort by certain players, and decisions that Purdy makes - that's the whole point of watching film. Anyone saying that he only criticizes the team/players clearly isn't watching his videos and/or knows nothing about football in general. We all know who those posters are.

This is hysterical and awesome at the same time. Totally agreed. Unfortunately, I can't say I played football with anyone, except that one carry I got that i fumbled as a freshman!

Just realized I typed "junior," brain fart. He was a freshman my senior year. So he was the scout team QB. We gave him a lot of s**t on defense but he had no fear.
Thought this was pretty cool.

Originally posted by floridaMan:

He almost went to my Aggies? I guess it's a good thing he didn't.
Originally posted by floridaMan:

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Better clip than what I posted. And perfectly said by Vick.

RG3 has always been very high on Brock Purdy. He broadcasts College Football games and did some Iowa State games. He always called Purdy a baller and thought he was under estimated. RG3 typically builds up Purdy over time if you listen to him. He said early on he thought Purdy was better than where he was drafted.
Share 49ersWebzone