There are 300 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

I'm done arguing about people's feelings on a player. Dude can't let it go.

I've been nothing but supportive of Brock this yr. Anyone who reads in here saw that.

If he's incapable of being objective over a football game, that's his problem.

block and move on…ain't nobody got time to argue that's dumb s**t.

I saw nothing wrong or what he was getting at with your post.

go 49ers!
He played like Jimmy G for like 95% of the game, then played like he had that dawg in him on the last drive. Definitely needs to be cleaned up.

This
I saw nothing wrong or what he was getting at with your post.

go 49ers!

Go 49ers!
Seems like media people are hating more on Purdy and saying how he wasn't good in this game more than they do for Jordon Love. Makes no goddamn sense.

I guess not being a Terrific QB makes getting credit a lot harder, while being one of the Terrific QBs lets you skate by on a perceived notion of how good you are.
He played like Jimmy G for like 95% of the game, then played like he had that dawg in him on the last drive. Definitely needs to be cleaned up.

This

He obviously has a real issue playing with a wet ball. The thing is, Love had his issues with a wet ball as well. Most of GB's big passing plays were on plays where our DB slipped and Ambry Thomas. Neither QB was all that accurate for much of the game. But when it matter most, our QB put his team on his back and found a way to advance to the NFCC.
Originally posted by YACBros85:

This

He obviously has a real issue playing with a wet ball. The thing is, Love had his issues with a wet ball as well. Most of GB's big passing plays were on plays where our DB slipped and Ambry Thomas. Neither QB was all that accurate for much of the game. But when it matter most, our QB put his team on his back and found a way to advance to the NFCC.

Without a doubt it played a part, overall he was very inaccurate though. Like not even close on some balls. He doesn't have the biggest hands. Maybe he's gotta practice with a glove more?

Sounds like the weather next week is mid 60s and sunny
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jan 21, 2024 at 4:40 AM ]
Originally posted by tankle104:
What's crazy is that in FRANCHISE HISTORY - we've only won 5 games when down by 7+ in the fourth. One of them is the super bowl against the bengals.

That can't be true. You mentioned the SB....what about the playoff comeback against the Giants 20 years ago with Garcia? The then largest comeback in NFL history against the Saints in 1980? Jeez...there were two in 1989 alone that I can think of....Philadelphia with the best game I've seen from (Montana) any QB ever and LA Rams on MNF. Those are the ones that I remember without even looking them up.

That can't be the only ones.
As for Purdy....THIS, again, is exactly what makes a quarterback 'great.' It's nice to have 300 yards and 3 TD's in cakewalk games and such, but in this day and age, they are more meaningless. The 300/3 games are dropped every week, by players who are back-up material, so I care little about those. I laugh at the responses when I mention being down by 4+ points, a final drive missing players and generally playing poor football....only to mount a last minute score:

"I don't understand....I never want to see Purdy playing from behind."

These people are ridiculous, and I'll never take their opinions seriously. Last night, Purdy overcame the obstacles - the weather, playing without one of their weapons in Deebo (although that doesn't matter much either since he is surrounded by the best set of skill players in the league....missing 1 shouldn't matter much...but it is at least 'something.'), the sub-par offensive line play. Down by 4 points, the slate was wiped clean with that final drive. That's part of his resume. It won't be immediate, but if he continues on a path where he builds a solid career, he'll be remembered for this comeback. Not for the first 58 minutes of sloppy football.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Furlow:
Dude played pretty horrible. No way around it, he's gonna have to get that s**t out of here if we want to win it all.

glad he (and the team) won a dirty game. Time to clean s**t up.

You almost had it. So close. Maybe next game the Niners will lose so you can celebrate.

Dude stop being a prick… Get over the people vs Brock shtick. This isn't about you and your feelings.

He's our QB and he's HAS to play better than whatever that was. If we want to win the whole thing.

you want to defend him no matter how bad he plays then argue with someone else. I've been nothing but supportive of him all this season. He's played well, whatever that was last night. He can't play like and win a SB.

You've been hoping on his downfall ALL SEASON. You disappear when he's playing great and the team is winning and then pop back up when he plays poorly and they lose. You sneak in "I told you so" comments in the game day thread during losses.

Not once have you said you were wrong in your previous assessment of him. Will you do that now? Let's hear it, man. Clear the air and claim Purdy is a franchise QB in your eyes. But if you do, you don't get to come back later and say "I told you so" if he and the Niners fail.

Can't have it both ways, which is what you're attempting to do. Not fooling me.
Brock needs to go into a room with a WR and practice throwing the football with rain conditions.

maybe a big shower? Brock figure it out man. The 49ers have enough resources to help Brock get better in the rain.

Originally posted by Furlow:
Dude played pretty horrible. No way around it, he's gonna have to get that s**t out of here if we want to win it all.

glad he (and the team) won a dirty game. Time to clean s**t up.

You almost had it. So close. Maybe next game the Niners will lose so you can celebrate.

Dude stop being a prick… Get over the people vs Brock shtick. This isn't about you and your feelings.

He's our QB and he's HAS to play better than whatever that was. If we want to win the whole thing.

you want to defend him no matter how bad he plays then argue with someone else. I've been nothing but supportive of him all this season. He's played well, whatever that was last night. He can't play like and win a SB.

He's only 24 and played in a monsoon
[ Edited by krizay on Jan 21, 2024 at 5:20 AM ]
Originally posted by elguapo:
Purdy was clutch in that final drive. Answered a question that needed to be answered. Then there's Love who was inaccurate as well and LOST his team the game on the INT'S AND FAILED Qb sneak. Purdy was GREAT with his sneaks and mobility today.

Just needs practice with wet balls
he sucked most of the game. not for the first time when a game was close. Bad games happen but they happen to him more often than not when it matters.
Originally posted by communist:
Purdy was clutch in that final drive. Answered a question that needed to be answered. Then there's Love who was inaccurate as well and LOST his team the game on the INT'S AND FAILED Qb sneak. Purdy was GREAT with his sneaks and mobility today.

he sucked most of the game. not for the first time when a game was close. Bad games happen but they happen to him more often than not when it matters.

Does it though?

He's played 24 games so far where he took the majority of the snaps. 5 have been less than great. In 2 of them he still drove the team down the field for a needed drive, both in wet conditions. The other three the turnovers caught up to him.

So, 19 great or better games, 2 mediocre games in bad weather where he still made a clutch final drive, and 3 bad games.

Is that really mediocre/bad games more often than other QBs? I'd legit like to see a review of that. Love seemed to have more than 5 mediocre/bad games this year before he improved the second half. Mahommes? Allen? Goff and Mayfield certainly. Or should we look at first 24 games rather than just the most recent 24 games for all these guys?

79% great or better games seems like a pretty high rate, but maybe that's just me.
[ Edited by captveg on Jan 21, 2024 at 5:37 AM ]
Originally posted by communist:

I think it's obvious teams are figuring him and Kyle's scheme out slowly but surely. The Oline giving up pressure way too fast is also not helping. Yet Kyle wants to keep him in the pocket. Run the ball more and move the pocket. Maybe he needs to scramble more to make defenses honest. That 15 yd run before CMC's game winning TD was a back breaker to Green Bay.
He is him.

With that said I will take a bad Purdy game against a good Packers team than anyone else. That last drive is proof.

The game played out the way it did because it's written. Brock was suppose to come back and win it. He did. It was actually very Brady like. Chess match every play. We're so use to see super saiyan play from him but we get the see the old school quarterback last night. Grind it out and dink and dunk till a big play opens up.

As much as Jordan Love gets talked about like rivers, Manning and others that faced Tom Brady. Our QB isn't talked about because, well, Brock is Brock. Tom is Tom.
Share 49ersWebzone