There are 193 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

That last drive was just what the doctor ordered.
this and the Aiyuk throws were dimes. Doesn't get better. Especially under physical pressure and pressure to win the game
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

That last drive was just what the doctor ordered.

The kind of throws that Brock made on the last two drives are the ones that Jimmy was never able to deliver when the game was on the line in the playoffs. He would usually just get sacked or way over throw.
Originally posted by tankle104:
this and the Aiyuk throws were dimes. Doesn't get better. Especially under physical pressure and pressure to win the game

It's great only because it was completed. Alot of room for error there, but we needed it.

The hope is that we don't have to make throws like this very much going forward.
I'm a huge Brock Purdy fan, but anyone who watched the game could see he missed a ton of open throws.

Obviously that hasn't been the norm. But whatever the reason was, it's not gonna quiet the haters.

He was good when he needed to be. Got lucky a few times, and we made just one more play Green Bay did.

Hopefully he continues the trend of bouncing back after a rough outing.
Originally posted by random49er:

It's great only because it was completed. Alot of room for error there, but we needed it.

The hope is that we don't have to make throws like this very much going forward.

Bro, that's playoff football. Those kind of throws need to be made in the playoffs to win it all. It's something we've sorely lacked for a decade+.

chiefs make 'em, Bucs make 'em, giants have made em, Flacco made them against us. It happens every year just never fir us. We finally made them. We finally won an ugly game and made incredible plays to pull it off and save our season.

of course we have a ton to clean up and improve upon but if we had a couple of those in 2012, 2019, 2011 etc. - we would have multiple Super Bowls. Those are the plays that other teams have constantly made against us and we never made.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I'm a huge Brock Purdy fan, but anyone who watched the game could see he missed a ton of open throws.

Obviously that hasn't been the norm. But whatever the reason was, it's not gonna quiet the haters.

He was good when he needed to be. Got lucky a few times, and we made just one more play Green Bay did.

agreed said it earlier i guarantee a lot of people are roasting KS for the gameplan but this is the same gameplan we have had all year the difference is Brock missed a lot of throws he usually makes no problem.

What matters is int he 4th Q he was playing great which was the difference

Thank God Jennings is 9 feet tall too and doesn't hear footsteps unlike Bell.

Bro, that's playoff football. Those kind of throws need to be made in the playoffs to win it all. It's something we've sorely lacked for a decade+.

chiefs make 'em, Bucs make 'em, giants have made em, Flacco made them against us. It happens every year just never fir us. We finally made them. We finally won an ugly game and made incredible plays to pull it off and save our season.

of course we have a ton to clean up and improve upon but if we had a couple of those in 2012, 2019, 2011 etc. - we would have multiple Super Bowls. Those are the plays that other teams have constantly made against us and we never made.

Of course it's playoff, situational football.

The hope is that we don't need to throw many more in traffic like that. Too much room for error.

I think the weather is a big issue for Brock, no doubt. We played a very rough game. I don't put it all on Brock because I doubt Ray Ray, Jennings etc we're all running the right plays in place of deebo. We had multiple drops (we had the fewest drops of the year in the regular season).

im not making excuses for Brock, he NEEDS to play better if we want to win it all, but I don't think he was the sole problem. I think this was one of kyles worst performances too.

I also think the packers played a hell of a game. Kudos to them. I was wrong about how they'd play - their defense really showed up, it's the NFL playoffs. It happens.

We have a chance next weekend to book a trip to the super bowl. That's all you can ask for and a week to prepare for without deebo. I think Kyle struggled to adapt the gameplan without deebo.

Of course it's playoff, situational football.

The hope is that we don't need to throw many more in traffic like that. Too much room for error.

I agree, it isn't something we want to make a habit of. We were lucky to get out of this one alive. Need to play better than we did and I'm optimistic a clear weather day will help with that for our team. Rain is a great equalizer in football.

i just think it's awesome that for the first time in a long time, we pulled through when we historically haven't.
IMO, this game was nearly identical to the Cleveland game. It was like everyone sucked at the exact same time - Brock, Kyle, defense, drops, gameplan, time management. It was like a perfect storm again. Just this time we pulled it off and moody actually came through.

i hope this is the last rainy game we see this year. Let's hope for a nice weather game on Sunday and then a dome game in the super bowl.

It was great because it was in between defenders and put ONLY where Jennings could catch it.

Sometimes these are the only throws available. We've seen all the elite QBs do exactly this.
[ Edited by TyCore on Jan 21, 2024 at 8:55 AM ]

So Brock Purdy's game is all about processing, timing and throwing with anticipation to areas where the receivers should be. He seems to struggle most in rainy conditions. Some of the incompletions yesterday came from him throwing to where the receivers were supposed to be only to have them lose their footing and slip. He also can't rely on his God given talents to bail him out in adverse conditions such as scrambling like Lamar or waiting for a receiver to finally break open with a rocket arm like Josh Allen or Mahomes. The wet conditions certainly effect his grip on the football and when he hits certain steps in his drop backs and knows the ball needs to come out at step X, the rain likely contributes to throwing off his footing which in turn can throw off his accuracy. At least that is my logic behind why he seems to struggle in the rain.
Originally posted by TyCore:

It was great because it was in between defenders and put ONLY where Jennings could catch it.

Sometimes these are the only throws available. We've seen all the elite QBs do exactly this.

Our QBs haven't been able to hit those tight window elite throws. Brock didn't have a good game but he made some elite throws down the stretch, WHILE under pressure. He deserves credit for that.

i don't think anyone believes he had a great game but I feel like he made some incredible throws and an awesome scramble down the stretch that made this win plausible. If they was jimmy, we are crying right now.
Share 49ersWebzone