There are 226 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DrEll:
Let's be real. Until further notice, enough with the elite and MVP titles. He's neither of the two. Although I disagree with the pundits that want to label him just as a systems quarterback (because he's got good QB skills), it now I understand the frustration some people have over others swinging all over Brock's nuts as the next Joe Montana, which he clearly is not.

the way I look at it….your coach either makes your QB look good, or your QB makes your coach look good. Guys like Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers….dont matter who's coaching they're gonna make their guy look good. Guys like Brock, Dak, Herbert, Cousins….these guys need someone walking them through the concepts. Doesn't mean they can't play great or even elite. Just means they're not head and shoulders about the rest.

Brock is a solid quarterback, if he has the playbook and the players around to help him execute. You see what happens when a monkey wrench (Deebo down, rain) gets into the fray. He becomes frazzled because he doesn't know how to adjust to the changes. Maybe some day it will change but what I've seen with the all time greats, they come into the league and showcase their abilities right off the bat.

He's also a 2nd year guy in his first full year starting. He has room for improvement obviously… we'll see if it happens. We'll also see if wet weather is going to be a bugaboo long term.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Dude had threw or four gimme throws, including a touchdown where the defender fell down. He had two almost INTs and two actual INTs and fell apart as soon as his right tackle left the game so yeah I'm tired of hearing about how lucky Purdy got.

This

That
How do you account for Jordan Love's performance than? He got frazzled in the rain and threw 2 picks and lost. Purdy was much better than him on the stat line. Made the game winning drive too.
Originally posted by Montana:
Dude had threw or four gimme throws, including a touchdown where the defender fell down. He had two almost INTs and two actual INTs and fell apart as soon as his right tackle left the game so yeah I'm tired of hearing about how lucky Purdy got.

This

That

All of this and that.
Originally posted by Antix:
Idgaf about style points or luck or getting bailed out by receivers. It's the playoffs. Search your memories. You could prob come up with half a dozen championships that were won off of great catches, luck or fortunate bounces etc.

I think Brock got lucky a few times, but for every lucky dropped INT he threw he made a great play to make up for it in the end. Winning by a lot would have been great, but I think an improbable win like this is really what we needed.

Rain works both ways.

Wet balls cause bad throws but also dropped INTs.

Can't say for sure in each case, of course, but rain is an equalizer of sorts.
Originally posted by NCommand:

This

That

All of this and that.

Love fell apart in the rain but nobody wants to hold him accountable. Purdy made the game winning drive.
Originally posted by DrEll:
Let's be real. Until further notice, enough with the elite and MVP titles. He's neither of the two. Although I disagree with the pundits that want to label him just as a systems quarterback (because he's got good QB skills), it now I understand the frustration some people have over others swinging all over Brock's nuts as the next Joe Montana, which he clearly is not.

the way I look at it….your coach either makes your QB look good, or your QB makes your coach look good. Guys like Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers….dont matter who's coaching they're gonna make their guy look good. Guys like Brock, Dak, Herbert, Cousins….these guys need someone walking them through the concepts. Doesn't mean they can't play great or even elite. Just means they're not head and shoulders about the rest.

Brock is a solid quarterback, if he has the playbook and the players around to help him execute. You see what happens when a monkey wrench (Deebo down, rain) gets into the fray. He becomes frazzled because he doesn't know how to adjust to the changes. Maybe some day it will change but what I've seen with the all time greats, they come into the league and showcase their abilities right off the bat.
It's funny how two people can watch the same game and come away with two completely different conclusions.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by NCommand:

This

That

All of this and that.

Love fell apart in the rain but nobody wants to hold him accountable. Purdy made the game winning drive.

Facts.
  • bud49
  • Veteran
Has anyone every thought that the Packers DC may have just came up with a game plan to counter Kyles offense? "Oh god that couldn't be"
Brock is a processor of the game he does not have a cannon arm and not elite speed but he can process, and I think he was taking what the defense was giving him.

Like Bruschi said on espn "I don't care how he played the first three and a half quarters, he got it done in the last half of the 4th quarter and that's all that matters."

They act like Love is a rookie h ell hes been in the league for 4 years he should be further ahead of Brock only area he has on Brock is arm strength.
[ Edited by bud49 on Jan 21, 2024 at 9:52 AM ]
How do you account for Jordan Love's performance than? He got frazzled in the rain and threw 2 picks and lost. Purdy was much better than him on the stat line. Made the game winning drive too.

Because Jordan Love is just a rookie, or so I keep hearing. He's just a young QB that is figuring his way out so when he throws utterly atrocious interceptions to seal a game for the other team, its cool, because he's just really young and apparently Purdy is a grizzled ten year vet.

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by tankle104:
this and the Aiyuk throws were dimes. Doesn't get better. Especially under physical pressure and pressure to win the game

Like the others we've seen. In between 3 defenders. Just WOW.

It was a stunner. That placement is 100%. It doesn't get any better. Deebo's reaction..is how I feel about BP haha. Deebo gets it haha, it seems we both are head over heels about BP. I just want Juice's wife to make me a damn coat haha.
Originally posted by bud49:
Has anyone every thought that the Packers DC may have just came up with a game plan to counter Kyles offense? "Oh god that couldn't be"
Brock is a processor of the game he does not have a cannon arm and not elite speed but he can process, and I think he was taking what the defense was giving him.

Like Bruschi said on espn "I don't care how he played the first three and a half quarters, he got it done in the last half of the 4th quarter and that's all that matters."

They act like Love is a rookie h ell hes been in the league for 4 years he should be further ahead of Brock only area he has on Brock is arm strength.

Yeah I don't think he process as good as Brock. The accuracy is not great at times. Purdy's accuracy struggles happen with a wet ball. But not usually in a dry environment. A wet game is his Kryptonite. But he did the game winning drive and we won.

Because Jordan Love is just a rookie, or so I keep hearing. He's just a young QB that is figuring his way out so when he throws utterly atrocious interceptions to seal a game for the other team, its cool, because he's just really young and apparently Purdy is a grizzled ten year vet.

If Purdy balls out with 4 TDs this game, the story would be what a great gameplan Shanny had for his system QB. People going hate no matter what Purdy does.

That, again
It was clear from the beginning that Brock was having trouble throwing in that weather. We're used to seeing him put the ball right on the money but he was consistently high or wide yesterday. The receivers were having trouble getting into their patterns as well. We can't under estimate how not having Deebo affected things' Once GB didn't have him to worry about they were free to disrupt Aiyuk. That left Kittle and Jennings to cover.
Share 49ersWebzone