Save 30% at the 49ers official online store →

There are 150 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by billbird2111:
This current situation is similar to the massive disrespect shown towards Montana during his early seasons. He certainly was not the main story leading up to the 1981 NFC Championship Game. The Cowboys and Danny White were. He still didn't garner much attention or respect until he won his second Super Bowl in the process of destroying the Dolphins. Bottom line? It took YEARS for Montana to get the kind of attention he deserved. This is Glock's first starting season from start to finish. He's been dismissed, criticized, minimized and compartmentalized. Fine. Montana loved it. I'm sure Glock probably does too as he commences his "prove it" tour and shuts some holes in the process.

Good post. Accurate about the Montana comparison. Even after beating Marino and Miami, writers were still calling Marino the best. Now he is "the best QB to never win a Super Bowl." Crazy.
Originally posted by dj43:
This current situation is similar to the massive disrespect shown towards Montana during his early seasons. He certainly was not the main story leading up to the 1981 NFC Championship Game. The Cowboys and Danny White were. He still didn't garner much attention or respect until he won his second Super Bowl in the process of destroying the Dolphins. Bottom line? It took YEARS for Montana to get the kind of attention he deserved. This is Glock's first starting season from start to finish. He's been dismissed, criticized, minimized and compartmentalized. Fine. Montana loved it. I'm sure Glock probably does too as he commences his "prove it" tour and shuts some holes in the process.

Good post. Accurate about the Montana comparison. Even after beating Marino and Miami, writers were still calling Marino the best. Now he is "the best QB to never win a Super Bowl." Crazy.

There's nothing Brock can do about. In the end he has to do what he actually wants to do anyway - Win.

I value the opinions of players who played with and against a player. Anyone who has, loves Montana. Kinda how TW talks about Brock. The issue today is there's so much money to be made after retirement in media many ex players jump on the bs bus and throw out stupid takes.

Also people didn't praise Brady at first either but he just kept winning.
Local sports radio: maybe the league will introduce flex scheduling for QBs who can't play in the rain. Flex to a sunny day

it actually is pretty funny
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
Because when less informed sports fans are watching these shows for information, they regenerate this nonsense to others, as if what they're saying is fact.

So what? It's just sports...it's not like it's medical malpractice or something. If it hurts anybody....it's the player themselves, and right now, Brock Purdy probably couldn't give a s**t whether someone like Nick Wright has him rated as 'elite' or whatever.
Originally posted by RickyRoma:
So what? It's just sports...it's not like it's medical malpractice or something. If it hurts anybody....it's the player themselves, and right now, Brock Purdy probably couldn't give a s**t whether someone like Nick Wright has him rated as 'elite' or whatever.

This.
I have no issues with people talking about how bad Purdy was in the game. He was awful and part of the reason we couldn't get anything going. But what I do have a problem with is they are not even bringing up his last drive.
Purdy has to be the version of himself that he was against Dallas and Philadelphia, be accurate and decisive, they are going to bring pressure, bring blitzes and when they do, he's going to have to make them pay for it. As tough as Detroit has been against the run much of the season, the passing game has to be a major plus.

I love how Steve loves Purdy..he has always been a very vocal supporter of Purdy since the begginng . Also, I think Steve may have been right on the rest factor some here. 21 days is a ton of time to be off, especially, for someone as competitive as BP is.

Rust off, rain gone, Gunslinger will be ballin' this Sun!

[ Edited by Montana on Jan 22, 2024 at 12:55 PM ]
Originally posted by dj43:

Yeah those are all true.
Brock and Kyle had mostly s**tty game but came through at the end when it mattered.

Survive and advance is the most important thing at this stage. On to the Lions.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Purdy has to be the version of himself that he was against Dallas and Philadelphia, be accurate and decisive, they are going to bring pressure, bring blitzes and when they do, he's going to have to make them pay for it. As tough as Detroit has been against the run much of the season, the passing game has to be a major plus.

A game without rain and you'll start to see that ball spinning like it normally does. A lot of Brock's passes that missed in the 2nd half (when he played his worst imo), even in a lot of collapsing pockets, were thrown to the correct read, but we're either inaccurate due to the grip issues, or the players weren't where Brock anticipated.

I think Det., even though they're a blitzing team, may start the game seeing how well they can pressure with just 4. My biggest worry is our oline not holding up well with only four rushing, which seems to be where all good QBs struggle the most. I'm pretty confident if the only way they get consistent pressure is by sending extra men, Brock will pick them apart.

So oline, give the kid a clean pocket!
Brock must beat the Lions and punch his ticket to Vegas, then confront Lamar/Mahomes. Only then, a Jedi he will be.

[ Edited by Young2Owens on Jan 22, 2024 at 1:11 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Brock must beat the Lions and punch his ticket to Vegas, then confront Lamar/Mahomes. Only then, a Jedi he will be.

Lol my sister had a huge crush on Mark Hamill, that was her favorite scene haha. BP is already a Jedi, probably just doesn't like the wet ball much lol. Understandably though, who does? When he put the glove on I was like idk about this, lol I had never seen him play with a glove before and not sure he would be comfortable with it? He seemed to do ok with it but took it off, wasn't feelin it I don't think. It doesn't rain much in AZ and idk how the weather is in Iowa. Wet balls just suck, it was pouring. Ppl will make too much of it I think..but clear skies forecasted..look out cause he is gunna let s-hit rip!!!
Originally posted by Montana:

Lol my sister had a huge crush on Mark Hamill, that was her favorite scene haha. BP is already a Jedi, probably just doesn't like the wet ball much lol. Understandably though, who does? When he put the glove on I was like idk about this, lol I had never seen him play with a glove before and not sure he would be comfortable with it? He seemed to do ok with it but took it off, wasn't feelin it I don't think. It doesn't rain much in AZ and idk how the weather is in Iowa. Wet balls just suck, it was pouring. Ppl will make too much of it I think..but clear skies forecasted..look out cause he is gunna let s-hit rip!!!

Just as Luke had to learn to have complete trust in the force to defeat the emperor, so as Brock must have complete trust in the force (removing the glove) to win in the rain.

Use the force Brock!
Originally posted by Montana:

Just as Luke had to learn to have complete trust in the force to defeat the emperor, so as Brock must have complete trust in the force (removing the glove) to win in the rain.

Use the force Brock!

Luke wore a glove though.
Share 49ersWebzone