QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

This is Jimmy G/Alex Smith s**t. Hope we can chalk it up to one game in bad conditions and not a trend.

That coverage is deep. The coverage only drops down after Brock winds up to release the ball. After that point Aiyuk looks open but not before.

Disagree. Especially the defender near the top of the screen.

These deep defenders in the middle of the field are standing on a spot with their eyes on Brock. They are reading his eyes. If Brock winds up to throw that ball deep, they are going to drop back further and get into the passing lane.

They don't start to drop down until after he releases the ball.

Brock would have to wait for Aiyuk to get all the way across the other side of the field. By than the pressure may have gotten there. As you see McK eventually let his man get by him.

Great post. Not that Purdy has never missed on a deep opportunity, but this isn't the play to nitpick and compare him to Alex and/or Jimmy.

I rewatched the play a few times. I still contend that the defender on the hash mark as well as the defender on the close side of the field broke towards CMC before Purdy started his throwing motion, but the other two in the middle did not. I dont think this was a major missed play, but it was possible. Just would have been a extraordinary effort by Brock. But hey, we have seen it before from him.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Purdy is literally one of the most polarizing people in all of sports the second he took over in the MIA game. Pretty nuts.

I am so confused about it.

I don't know what it stems from and I don't know whats going on.

The "checkdown" memes were all over social today.

Unwarranted and absent of reality.
The argument has been won. Purdy did what all the 'experts' said they need to see before they could give him flowers. Now he's had is comeback without all his weapons in tough circumstances. 49ers just had a game where very little went right...and still won.

All the buzz you hear is just "liar's denial."

Onward and forward to next week.

Love my team!
[ Edited by Mankster on Jan 22, 2024 at 6:51 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by tankle104:
orgasmic. Still can't get over the amazing throw and catch to Aiyuk.

And the trust to go to Conley. Brock doesn't play favorites, he reads the coverage and picks the correct target.

I'd like to know what changed where Purdy was able to just be that accurate on that last drive? Did the rain let up? I really don't get it.
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:

And the trust to go to Conley. Brock doesn't play favorites, he reads the coverage and picks the correct target.

I'd like to know what changed where Purdy was able to just be that accurate on that last drive? Did the rain let up? I really don't get it.

His nut sack dropped and he nutted it up when we needed him the most with the season on the line. That's what happened.
Originally posted by Crown:

Brock is one the least physically talented starters in the NFL. I think that's a major part of the unfair doubting he gets. When people aren't watching the games or film in detail they can just assume a guy like that is riding the all star players and coaching around him.

I also think 49ers fans' presence online plays a role on at least two fronts. It's an extremely large and loud group. Huge fanbase. It's important to generate attention from the large groups when you are interested in ratings. Secondly, they are highly combative. If you say something bad about Purdy (or anyone else) they are coming down your road and it can be ugly. There's a tit for tat happening in terms of reaction.

Just my observations. Nothing concrete to really back it up.

Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Brock is one the least physically talented starters in the NFL. I think that's a major part of the unfair doubting he gets. When people aren't watching the games or film in detail they can just assume a guy like that is riding the all star players and coaching around him.

I also think 49ers fans' presence online plays a role on at least two fronts. It's an extremely large and loud group. Huge fanbase. It's important to generate attention from the large groups when you are interested in ratings. Secondly, they are highly combative. If you say something bad about Purdy (or anyone else) they are coming down your road and it can be ugly. There's a tit for tat happening in terms of reaction.

Least physically talented? Huh?
What changed?

This guy is the most over analyzed QB in the league. Maybe in history. They knit pick every little thing. Even game winning drives in the rain and come from behind wins are bad. Just terrible QB play.

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

You're gonna f**k around and prove my point, lol.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

The rain did let up, then started going again after the tuddy. Seemed like the most fortunate series of events. That said, Brock must figure something out with his grip as the game progresses. Same thing happened against the Browns, came out with the ball falling out of his hands, then by the end he seemed to grip it better. Can't remember the other game that started with light rain, but same thing, he came out shaky with his throws then seemed to get better, but all of those games may have been the wettest early in the games though.

He's not overt. He's not big, he doesn't have a cannon arm, he doesn't have 4.5 speed, if you saw him walking around in public you'd think he was just a run of the mill gym bro college student. He doesn't stand out the way a lot of other QB's stand out. The stuff he excels at is stuff that you can't measure with a scale or a stopwatch, he doesn't necessarily look like a guy that can sit back there, face down 300 pound pass rushers and let it rip.

And that's okay, it just means the low rent talking head crowd will continue to doubt him because they can't focus in on his physical aspects, they like bright, shiny objects and there's a lot of guys who will bring more to the table in that regard. He's also cursed with the Mr Irrelevant label so people will always doubt him, always see it as some sort of Linsanity fad that will eventually fade because there's no way a guy picked last in the draft can actually hang with QB's taken in the first round, even if we've seen several late round and undrafted QB's thrive and even become HOFers.

The only way Purdy will silence the doubters is by winning. He'll never get the benefit of the doubt that guys like Lawrence, Fields, Love or even Levis get, so he just has to win, win SB's, continue to show up and excel and block out all the noise. If he can do that, people will eventually fall in line like they did with Brady who had many people doubting him even after he had won multiple SBs but eventually it just made you sound like an idiot to deny his greatness.
Share 49ersWebzone