LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 228 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by tankle104:

love sherm

Yeah, the comments in that thread are hilarious. Lotta arm chair QBs commenting and discrediting him and the throw. They don't realize that the beauty of the play call is that Aiyuk drew the coverage away to make that play happen.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Least physically talented? Huh?

You're gonna f**k around and prove my point, lol.

Nah, that was just a dumb observation you made about Brock. But carryon.

No it wasn't at all. He's on the shorter side for a starter. He's below the median in terms of arm strength. His release is average at best in terms of speed.

He's got great quickness though. His short area mobility is a real plus.

His success comes from being a highly polished passer in terms of skills, especially for such a young player, and he is intelligent.

Its not dumb at all. One of the main reasons why Purdy was available late in the late 7th is because there was absolutely nothing exceptional about him physically. Scouts put a big premium on that. The 49ers put a big premium on that with Lance even though the guy only had like 400 total passing attempts in his entire life to that point, or less than what the average NFL starting QB attempts in a single season.

That's cool though, there was nothing physically exceptional about this dude either.

Doesn't mean Purdy can't be extremely successful in the NFL, just means that he'll have to achieve more and work harder to gain the same level of respect and appreciation that some other QB's get and he'll have less leeway when he does play poorly because physically he's nobody's ideal of a pro QB. No one is going into Madden Create-A-Player and building Brock Purdy.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Its not dumb at all. One of the main reasons why Purdy was available late in the late 7th is because there was absolutely nothing exceptional about him physically. Scouts put a big premium on that. The 49ers put a big premium on that with Lance even though the guy only had like 400 total passing attempts in his entire life to that point, or less than what the average NFL starting QB attempts in a single season.

That's cool though, there was nothing physically exceptional about this dude either.

Doesn't mean Purdy can't be extremely successful in the NFL, just means that he'll have to achieve more and work harder to gain the same level of respect and appreciation that some other QB's get and he'll have less leeway when he does play poorly because physically he's nobody's ideal of a pro QB. No one is going into Madden Create-A-Player and building Brock Purdy.

Gracias my friend.
I've suffered through decades of slop ball from both the Niners and the Raiders (until they completely lost me). What we saw Saturday was definitely not that.
Even at their worst, this team is pretty darn good.

They'll get it done.

(Reminds of what Don Henley of the Eagles Band said, "Yeah, we've got some rust, but our rust sounds pretty good.")
Originally posted by Crown:
I am so confused about it.

I don't know what it stems from and I don't know whats going on.

The "checkdown" memes were all over social today.

Unwarranted and absent of reality.

Brock is one the least physically talented starters in the NFL. I think that's a major part of the unfair doubting he gets. When people aren't watching the games or film in detail they can just assume a guy like that is riding the all star players and coaching around him.

I also think 49ers fans' presence online plays a role on at least two fronts. It's an extremely large and loud group. Huge fanbase. It's important to generate attention from the large groups when you are interested in ratings. Secondly, they are highly combative. If you say something bad about Purdy (or anyone else) they are coming down your road and it can be ugly. There's a tit for tat happening in terms of reaction.

Just my observations. Nothing concrete to really back it up.

Least physically talented? Huh?

He's not overt. He's not big, he doesn't have a cannon arm, he doesn't have 4.5 speed, if you saw him walking around in public you'd think he was just a run of the mill gym bro college student. He doesn't stand out the way a lot of other QB's stand out. The stuff he excels at is stuff that you can't measure with a scale or a stopwatch, he doesn't necessarily look like a guy that can sit back there, face down 300 pound pass rushers and let it rip.

And that's okay, it just means the low rent talking head crowd will continue to doubt him because they can't focus in on his physical aspects, they like bright, shiny objects and there's a lot of guys who will bring more to the table in that regard. He's also cursed with the Mr Irrelevant label so people will always doubt him, always see it as some sort of Linsanity fad that will eventually fade because there's no way a guy picked last in the draft can actually hang with QB's taken in the first round, even if we've seen several late round and undrafted QB's thrive and even become HOFers.

The only way Purdy will silence the doubters is by winning. He'll never get the benefit of the doubt that guys like Lawrence, Fields, Love or even Levis get, so he just has to win, win SB's, continue to show up and excel and block out all the noise. If he can do that, people will eventually fall in line like they did with Brady who had many people doubting him even after he had won multiple SBs but eventually it just made you sound like an idiot to deny his greatness.

I don't really agree that Brock is one of the least physically talented QBs in the NFL. No his arm's not the strongest, but it's certainly not the weakest. He's not the tallest, but we've seen guys at his height win. Even his biggest physical negatives aren't things that are so negative that his success is some anomaly that we are all waiting to regress back to the mean, despite the narrative being so. He's got more quickness and burst than a good majority of the starting QBs in the NFL, and that greatly aids in his play-making and ability to extend the play.

He's not so physically limited that his success should feel like the lightning in a bottle that many in the media and opposing fan bases contend that it is.

But even Brady had the 6'4". Also 6th round. Rather than being 7th round and the curse of being called "Mr. Irrelevant." Just so much works against him in perception. It's not fair. Closest size and processing comparison is probably Drew Brees. With the reads, timing, anticipation and accuracy. I think he can do it. The media and fans may never come around. If he won 2 Super Bowls and at least 1 league MVP they may come around. Who knows if he will? I think he's capable. But lets just get 1 Super Bowl first at least. Then go from there.

No it wasn't at all. He's on the shorter side for a starter. He's below the median in terms of arm strength. His release is average at best in terms of speed.

He's got great quickness though. His short area mobility is a real plus.

His success comes from being a highly polished passer in terms of skills, especially for such a young player, and he is intelligent.

I don't think he's below the median in terms of arm strength. I think he's right around the average on the bell-curve of NFL starting qb arm strength. Keep in mind he's also less than a year out from surgery to repair a torn UCL.
Originally posted by HawkBearPig:
I don't really agree that Brock is one of the least physically talented QBs in the NFL.

He is when you compare him to most of the other top QB's in football. Physically he's just very ordinary. Beyond that he lacks the first round pedigree that most of them have so there's always going to be ample reason to doubt him and criticize him until he starts to perform at such a high level and has so much success that they can't say anything without sounding absolutely stupid. He can go a long way towards that by balling out Sunday and then coming back and playing even better in the SB.

• q0c0p
  • Veteran
Haters are just mad cuz purdy isnt your typical 6'4 qb with otherworld arm talent. He doesnt fit the narrative so they hate on him. We just need to keep winning, get that chip, and who cares what they say.
I don't think he's below the median in terms of arm strength. I think he's right around the average on the bell-curve of NFL starting qb arm strength. Keep in mind he's also less than a year out from surgery to repair a torn UCL.

I can purely base it off last year when his arm was fully healthy. It's one of the weaker arms in the league among the starters.

Do I think it matters? Not really. Argued about it all offseason. Give me the guy with good enough arm strength, which he has, and accuracy and brains.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
But even Brady had the 6'4". Also 6th round. Rather than being 7th round and the curse of being called "Mr. Irrelevant." Just so much works against him in perception. It's not fair. Closest size and processing comparison is probably Drew Brees. With the reads, timing, anticipation and accuracy. I think he can do it. The media and fans may never come around. If he won 2 Super Bowls and at least 1 league MVP they may come around. Who knows if he will? I think he's capable. But lets just get 1 Super Bowl first at least. Then go from there.

Yup, Even Brady had prototypical height and above average arm strength. Those things really helped him too.

Brock has plus mobility though which is something Tom never had (besides being great with subtle movement in the pocket).

I can purely base it off last year when his arm was fully healthy. It's one of the weaker arms in the league among the starters.

Do I think it matters? Not really. Argued about it all offseason. Give me the guy with good enough arm strength, which he has, and accuracy and brains.

1) It's not really that weak. Plenty good enough for NFL starter.
2) Steve Young, Joe Montana, Jeff Garcia - none of the above ever had the strongest rocket arm in the league when they were playing. Pretty average really. But accurate in different ways.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Yup, Even Brady had prototypical height and above average arm strength. Those things really helped him too.

Brock has plus mobility though which is something Tom never had (besides being great with subtle movement in the pocket).

Yes I agree.
Share 49ersWebzone