LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 238 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
1) It's not really that weak. Plenty good enough for NFL starter.
2) Steve Young, Joe Montana, Jeff Garcia - none of the above ever had the strongest rocket arm in the league when they were playing. Pretty average really. But accurate in different ways.

Agree pretty much completely.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Jan 22, 2024 at 7:30 PM ]
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
1) It's not really that weak. Plenty good enough for NFL starter.
2) Steve Young, Joe Montana, Jeff Garcia - none of the above ever had the strongest rocket arm in the league when they were playing. Pretty average really. But accurate in different ways.

Agree pretty much completely.

I don't care if I sound like a conspiracy theorist. I don't care if I sound insecure. I don't care if I sound delusional. I am going to say it because after today, it is blatantly obvious:

There is 120% a widespread anti-Purdy media narrative. And it could not be anymore obvious. The dude has set a record over his first 24+ starts in passer rating. The dude has been to back-to-back NFC Championships. The dude has won more than three-quarters of his games. The dude has played better in Kyle Shanahan's offense than anyone ever has. The dude just had a game-winning TD drive in a playoff game.

It is STILL not enough according to the mainstream pipeline. The goalposts have now moved yet again for the 100th time.

It is so obvious at this point that NFL front offices and scouting departments have the media by the nuts and are BEGGING them to tear down Purdy. They simply can NOT afford Purdy to be a franchise QB because it would make every single one of them look bad for passing on him for an entire draft.

I will NOT be silent! It is blatantly obvious at this point and is 100% crystal clear after today. Not ONE media talking head EXCEPT for Sherman, Acho and Brou gave him credit. Everyone else tore him down. This is so ridiculous.
[ Edited by Fanaticofnfl on Jan 22, 2024 at 7:35 PM ]
Originally posted by q0c0p:
Haters are just mad cuz purdy isnt your typical 6'4 qb with otherworld arm talent. He doesnt fit the narrative so they hate on him. We just need to keep winning, get that chip, and who cares what they say.

Get the 49ers to first place on this list and Purdy will get plenty of respect and appreciation.

Originally posted by HawkBearPig:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by Crown:
I am so confused about it.

I don't know what it stems from and I don't know whats going on.

The "checkdown" memes were all over social today.

Unwarranted and absent of reality.

Brock is one the least physically talented starters in the NFL. I think that's a major part of the unfair doubting he gets. When people aren't watching the games or film in detail they can just assume a guy like that is riding the all star players and coaching around him.

I also think 49ers fans' presence online plays a role on at least two fronts. It's an extremely large and loud group. Huge fanbase. It's important to generate attention from the large groups when you are interested in ratings. Secondly, they are highly combative. If you say something bad about Purdy (or anyone else) they are coming down your road and it can be ugly. There's a tit for tat happening in terms of reaction.

Just my observations. Nothing concrete to really back it up.

Least physically talented? Huh?

He's not overt. He's not big, he doesn't have a cannon arm, he doesn't have 4.5 speed, if you saw him walking around in public you'd think he was just a run of the mill gym bro college student. He doesn't stand out the way a lot of other QB's stand out. The stuff he excels at is stuff that you can't measure with a scale or a stopwatch, he doesn't necessarily look like a guy that can sit back there, face down 300 pound pass rushers and let it rip.

And that's okay, it just means the low rent talking head crowd will continue to doubt him because they can't focus in on his physical aspects, they like bright, shiny objects and there's a lot of guys who will bring more to the table in that regard. He's also cursed with the Mr Irrelevant label so people will always doubt him, always see it as some sort of Linsanity fad that will eventually fade because there's no way a guy picked last in the draft can actually hang with QB's taken in the first round, even if we've seen several late round and undrafted QB's thrive and even become HOFers.

The only way Purdy will silence the doubters is by winning. He'll never get the benefit of the doubt that guys like Lawrence, Fields, Love or even Levis get, so he just has to win, win SB's, continue to show up and excel and block out all the noise. If he can do that, people will eventually fall in line like they did with Brady who had many people doubting him even after he had won multiple SBs but eventually it just made you sound like an idiot to deny his greatness.

I don't really agree that Brock is one of the least physically talented QBs in the NFL. No his arm's not the strongest, but it's certainly not the weakest. He's not the tallest, but we've seen guys at his height win. Even his biggest physical negatives aren't things that are so negative that his success is some anomaly that we are all waiting to regress back to the mean, despite the narrative being so. He's got more quickness and burst than a good majority of the starting QBs in the NFL, and that greatly aids in his play-making and ability to extend the play.

He's not so physically limited that his success should feel like the lightning in a bottle that many in the media and opposing fan bases contend that it is.

He is barely 6'1 like Drew Brees was barely 6'0. He has pretty much the same height/weight as Jalen Hurts. Coincidentally a lot of his power is in his thick and meaty thighs and buttocks. He is more of a physical specimen than you think.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Get the 49ers to first place on this list and Purdy will get plenty of respect and appreciation.

He won't. Not from people who currently are detractors. They're locked into the bit and can't get out. In too deep. I can't think of a single one of them that said all he had to do was win a SB. Because they know how likely that is. It's always "the avengers" to them.

He will be a god amongst Niners fans and truly impartial analysts. But never to his detractors.
[ Edited by okdkid on Jan 22, 2024 at 7:37 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erKing:

Brock is one the least physically talented starters in the NFL. I think that's a major part of the unfair doubting he gets. When people aren't watching the games or film in detail they can just assume a guy like that is riding the all star players and coaching around him.

I also think 49ers fans' presence online plays a role on at least two fronts. It's an extremely large and loud group. Huge fanbase. It's important to generate attention from the large groups when you are interested in ratings. Secondly, they are highly combative. If you say something bad about Purdy (or anyone else) they are coming down your road and it can be ugly. There's a tit for tat happening in terms of reaction.

He's not overt. He's not big, he doesn't have a cannon arm, he doesn't have 4.5 speed, if you saw him walking around in public you'd think he was just a run of the mill gym bro college student. He doesn't stand out the way a lot of other QB's stand out. The stuff he excels at is stuff that you can't measure with a scale or a stopwatch, he doesn't necessarily look like a guy that can sit back there, face down 300 pound pass rushers and let it rip.

And that's okay, it just means the low rent talking head crowd will continue to doubt him because they can't focus in on his physical aspects, they like bright, shiny objects and there's a lot of guys who will bring more to the table in that regard. He's also cursed with the Mr Irrelevant label so people will always doubt him, always see it as some sort of Linsanity fad that will eventually fade because there's no way a guy picked last in the draft can actually hang with QB's taken in the first round, even if we've seen several late round and undrafted QB's thrive and even become HOFers.

The only way Purdy will silence the doubters is by winning. He'll never get the benefit of the doubt that guys like Lawrence, Fields, Love or even Levis get, so he just has to win, win SB's, continue to show up and excel and block out all the noise. If he can do that, people will eventually fall in line like they did with Brady who had many people doubting him even after he had won multiple SBs but eventually it just made you sound like an idiot to deny his greatness.

I don't really agree that Brock is one of the least physically talented QBs in the NFL. No his arm's not the strongest, but it's certainly not the weakest. He's not the tallest, but we've seen guys at his height win. Even his biggest physical negatives aren't things that are so negative that his success is some anomaly that we are all waiting to regress back to the mean, despite the narrative being so. He's got more quickness and burst than a good majority of the starting QBs in the NFL, and that greatly aids in his play-making and ability to extend the play.

He's not so physically limited that his success should feel like the lightning in a bottle that many in the media and opposing fan bases contend that it is.

He is barely 6'1 like Drew Brees was barely 6'0. He has pretty much the same height/weight as Jalen Hurts. Coincidentally a lot of his power is in his thick and meaty thighs and buttocks. He is more of a physical specimen than you think.

He's actually a pretty decent athlete. Good quickness and burst running around in short areas. Good legs and base to throw with decent power. When he includes his legs and mechanics. The whole body.
Purdy is special and not because this is a weak era for quarterbacks. Even being a weak era he still stands out as an old school quarterback. Meaning no improvisation. Since Mahomes came into the league and the rise of Josh Allen the trend seems to be these low IQ athletic QB's that runs around till someone gets open. Gone are the days of precise route running and timing. Besides is the Dolphins still run plays.

There was a lot of QB injuries this year because QB's can't read defenses. They don't know who is suppose to block who and they get blasted. They just know to run.

Purdy is that perfect combination of sticking with his reads like all greats do. He just feels boring to fans because we're use to the athletic QB's of today.

Purdy could be the last of a dying breed. The same when the pocket passer became obsolete. Purdy still is a pocket passer. That's what makes him so great.

the league is desperately trying to change how quarterbacks play.
[ Edited by Eddie_D on Jan 22, 2024 at 7:42 PM ]
Originally posted by okdkid:
He won't. Not from people who currently are detractors. They're locked into the bit and can't get out. In too deep. I can't think of a single one of them that said all he had to do was win a SB. Because they know how likely that is. It's always "the avengers" to them.

He will be a god amongst Niners fans and truly impartial analysts. But never to his detractors.

Brady still has a few detractors, everyone laughs at them now though.

At a certain point, if you win enough, the criticism just stops making sense.
Originally posted by okdkid:

Like Phoenix was saying this happened to Brady as well at least up until 2007. Through 3 rings and the first phase of the Pats dynasty.

Brock will get more and more love with the success he and the team has. There will always be doubters. They'll get painted further into a corner if Brock continues to play as he has and improves.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

Least physically talented is *bullcrap.* Brock has great mobility and a pretty good arm. Not the strongest arm, but plenty strong for the offense he's in. It's not a *weak* arm at all. He's elusive with great acceleration and agility in a short area and reminds me a lot of Russel Wilson from an elusive slippery kind of athletic player. Add in the Great Quads for the Tush Push. People who call his arm *weak* don't watch the 49er games in my opinion.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Least physically talented is *bullcrap.* Brock has great mobility and a pretty good arm. Not the strongest arm, but plenty strong for the offense he's in. It's not a *weak* arm at all. He's elusive with great acceleration and agility in a short area and reminds me a lot of Russel Wilson from an elusive slippery kind of athletic player. Add in the Great Quads for the Tush Push. People who call his arm *weak* don't watch the 49er games in my opinion.

It's not about whether his arm is too weak. It's good enough. It's certainly enough to be successful in the league (as he has been). It is one of the weaker arms among the other 31 starters in the NFL though. You will not learn this by watching the Niners. You have to watch the other teams and QBs.

I see plenty of throws from him where he lets it rip into tight windows and they look like they get there just as fast as any other QB. If his great footwork helps him to generate more force for those throws from his base, then I'm not gonna hold that against him. He's not gonna go full Josh Allen and roll out to his left and launch it 60, but we've already seen him roll out to his left and launch it 40+. I'm not really concerned about the arm strength, and I think it gets unfairly hated on.

Its not though, and I don't know why people are offended by it. Purdy's arm isn't in the same zipcode as a Josh Allen, Pat Mahomes or hell, even Trey Lance which is a major reason why the 49ers used three first round picks to take Lance and waited until the very last pick of the draft to take Purdy.

I don't care how much Wheaties he eats or how hard he trains, Purdy is never, ever making this throw, and that's okay.

Athletically he's not in the same realm as a Lamar Jackson or a Kyler Murray. Size wise he's not a guy that stands out the way a Josh Allen, Cam Newton or Justin Herbert stand out.

Drew Brees was a top NFL QB for 15 years and he was never going to win any sort of airport contest. He looked just like a regular guy but he had outstanding accuracy and anticipation and he worked his ass off. Brees also didn't have instant success the way Purdy has had, Brees came in and struggled, had some injury issues, it took him a few years to get going and when he did, he left no doubt that he was one of the very best, year in and year out despite being on the smaller side, despite not having a cannon arm or being a super athlete.

Purdys nickname early in the locker room was Baby Bosa

Purdy has massive legs for a QB

Articles have literally been written about it

https://theathletic.com/4864269/2023/09/16/brock-purdy-thighs-49ers?source=user-shared-article
Share 49ersWebzone