LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 142 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by HawkBearPig:
I see plenty of throws from him where he lets it rip into tight windows and they look like they get there just as fast as any other QB. If his great footwork helps him to generate more force for those throws from his base, then I'm not gonna hold that against him. He's not gonna go full Josh Allen and roll out to his left and launch it 60, but we've already seen him roll out to his left and launch it 40+. I'm not really concerned about the arm strength, and I think it gets unfairly hated on.

It's a luxury trait, not a necessary one. It makes the job easier but you can still do the job without it. Same thing with prototypical height, or plus running ability.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Least physically talented is *bullcrap.* Brock has great mobility and a pretty good arm. Not the strongest arm, but plenty strong for the offense he's in. It's not a *weak* arm at all. He's elusive with great acceleration and agility in a short area and reminds me a lot of Russel Wilson from an elusive slippery kind of athletic player. Add in the Great Quads for the Tush Push. People who call his arm *weak* don't watch the 49er games in my opinion.

Its not though, and I don't know why people are offended by it. Purdy's arm isn't in the same zipcode as a Josh Allen, Pat Mahomes or hell, even Trey Lance which is a major reason why the 49ers used three first round picks to take Lance and waited until the very last pick of the draft to take Purdy.

I don't care how much Wheaties he eats or how hard he trains, Purdy is never, ever making this throw, and that's okay.

Athletically he's not in the same realm as a Lamar Jackson or a Kyler Murray. Size wise he's not a guy that stands out the way a Josh Allen, Cam Newton or Justin Herbert stand out.

Drew Brees was a top NFL QB for 15 years and he was never going to win any sort of airport contest. He looked just like a regular guy but he had outstanding accuracy and anticipation and he worked his ass off. Brees also didn't have instant success the way Purdy has had, Brees came in and struggled, had some injury issues, it took him a few years to get going and when he did, he left no doubt that he was one of the very best, year in and year out despite being on the smaller side, despite not having a cannon arm or being a super athlete.

Josh Allen's arm is a statistical outlier IMO, and Brock's should not be considered weak because it doesn't match up to his. And honestly, Trey's arm was a little overrated IMO.
[ Edited by HawkBearPig on Jan 22, 2024 at 7:52 PM ]
Josh Allen's arm is a statistical outlier IMO, and Brock's should not be considered weak because it doesn't match up to his. And honestly, Trey's arm was a little overrated IMO.

Right but his arm is weaker than Goff and Mayfields's too, as relevant examples.

He's a better QB than both of them… but don't expect people who aren't watching in detail and hang on physical gifts to see it.
"Not physically talented" yet you could argue he is the MOST talented quarterback at getting out of sacks because he has such a fast 10 yards split. Faster than any quarterback in the whole league (I believe he's tied with Lamar Jackson for #1). We have all seen him get out of a PLETHORA of sacks and be so elite at getting out of pressure and making elite plays.
Originally posted by elguapo:
"Not physically talented" yet you could argue he is the MOST talented quarterback at getting out of sacks because he has such a fast 10 yards split. Faster than any quarterback in the whole league (I believe he's tied with Lamar Jackson for #1). We have all seen him get out of a PLETHORA of sacks and be so elite at getting out of pressure and making elite plays.

The quote is one of the least physically talented QBs among starters… and the post(s) specifically highlighted his short area quickness as a real plus. There's no denying he has a physical advantage there. It's probably the only one he has.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

The quote is one of the least physically talented QBs among starters… and the post(s) specifically highlighted his short area quickness as a real plus. There's no denying he has a physical advantage there. It's probably the only one he has.

it's a good thing that physical advantage is so so important comparatively. There are too many big arm, tall quarterbacks that suck
[ Edited by elguapo on Jan 22, 2024 at 8:05 PM ]
it's a good thing that Physical advantage is so so important Comparatively. There are too many big arm, tall quarterbacks that suck

Agreed. We spent 3 first round picks on one and I argued all offseason that Brock should be the focus over him.

Now when you can convince hot take talking heads otherwise, you'll get somewhere.

Right but his arm is weaker than Goff and Mayfields's too, as relevant examples.

He's a better QB than both of them… but don't expect people who aren't watching in detail and hang on physical gifts to see it.

Goff, maybe. But Baker? I don't know. Baker's arm doesn't look any stronger than Brock's IMO.
it's a good thing that physical advantage is so so important comparatively. There are too many big arm, tall quarterbacks that suck

Jim Druckenmiller begs to differ
Goff, maybe. But Baker? I don't know. Baker's arm doesn't look any stronger than Brock's IMO.

It is for sure man. He can sling it. Just not that accurately and he has other shortcomings as well, lol.

It's a luxury trait, not a necessary one. It makes the job easier but you can still do the job without it. Same thing with prototypical height, or plus running ability.

The path for Purdy is clear. He's never going to overwhelm defenses with his arm strength or run all over them ala Lamar. His game is going to be efficiency, accuracy and getting the ball out as fast as possible. That's Brees territory and Brees was well regarded for having an insane work ethic. He was working with a passing coach every offseason even well before it was en vogue, he was a film study fiend and just obsessed with improving all the time.

Athletically, Purdy and Brees are also very similar. Brees in his later years was viewed as largely immobile but he was a guy who in college could dunk and was known for his ability to take off and run with the football if needed. He cut back on a lot of that stuff after his shoulder issues but it was still there at times.

On Brees' work ethic:"The one thing I can say as I get older and look back, and I saw it early on. The guys who were the superstars, and again I was fortunate enough to be around the Nolan Ryans and the guys in professional baseball that were Hall of Famers, that were superstars. Their commitment to excellence, their desire to get 1% better every day and their attention to detail, whether it was workout sessions or whether it was in the gym, the guys that are those Hall of Famers, you can recognize their commitment. They're not only passionate, they're motivated and they're committed to every day trying to get better. And I saw that in Drew right away."

Both guys are different. House knows, just as guys like Alex Guerrero around Brady and Todd Durkin around Brees know, that there is a part of what the quarterbacks have that's unteachable. Which gives every one of their coaches, inside football and out, a pretty good starting point.

"It's their commitment to excellence," House said. "They have this overwhelming need to get better at something every day. Their persistence in the face of everything that says they shouldn't is what separates them. I saw it in Nolan Ryan. It's out there. And I'm sure it exists, I don't have the same exposure to other sports, but the elder statesmen that continue to be competitive, they love the game, but they commit to being the best they can be every day, and to figuring out ways they can improve themselves."

The path for Purdy is clear. He's never going to overwhelm defenses with his arm strength or run all over them ala Lamar. His game is going to be efficiency, accuracy and getting the ball out as fast as possible. That's Brees territory and Brees was well regarded for having an insane work ethic. He was working with a passing coach every offseason even well before it was en vogue, he was a film study fiend and just obsessed with improving all the time.

Athletically, Purdy and Brees are also very similar. Brees in his later years was viewed as largely immobile but he was a guy who in college could dunk and was known for his ability to take off and run with the football if needed. He cut back on a lot of that stuff after his shoulder issues but it was still there at times.

On Brees' work ethic:"The one thing I can say as I get older and look back, and I saw it early on. The guys who were the superstars, and again I was fortunate enough to be around the Nolan Ryans and the guys in professional baseball that were Hall of Famers, that were superstars. Their commitment to excellence, their desire to get 1% better every day and their attention to detail, whether it was workout sessions or whether it was in the gym, the guys that are those Hall of Famers, you can recognize their commitment. They're not only passionate, they're motivated and they're committed to every day trying to get better. And I saw that in Drew right away."

Both guys are different. House knows, just as guys like Alex Guerrero around Brady and Todd Durkin around Brees know, that there is a part of what the quarterbacks have that's unteachable. Which gives every one of their coaches, inside football and out, a pretty good starting point.

"It's their commitment to excellence," House said. "They have this overwhelming need to get better at something every day. Their persistence in the face of everything that says they shouldn't is what separates them. I saw it in Nolan Ryan. It's out there. And I'm sure it exists, I don't have the same exposure to other sports, but the elder statesmen that continue to be competitive, they love the game, but they commit to being the best they can be every day, and to figuring out ways they can improve themselves."

Agreed. Good post. I'll have to watch the vid later.
The two throws (& catches) to JJ and Aiyuk during the game winning drive, man, that is some BIG TIME throws, under pressure.
Sometimes people think it's expected of a QB, but he is not a 1st round pick with a $50 million contract.
Good job.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Least physically talented is *bullcrap.* Brock has great mobility and a pretty good arm. Not the strongest arm, but plenty strong for the offense he's in. It's not a *weak* arm at all. He's elusive with great acceleration and agility in a short area and reminds me a lot of Russel Wilson from an elusive slippery kind of athletic player. Add in the Great Quads for the Tush Push. People who call his arm *weak* don't watch the 49er games in my opinion.

Its not though, and I don't know why people are offended by it. Purdy's arm isn't in the same zipcode as a Josh Allen, Pat Mahomes or hell, even Trey Lance which is a major reason why the 49ers used three first round picks to take Lance and waited until the very last pick of the draft to take Purdy.

I don't care how much Wheaties he eats or how hard he trains, Purdy is never, ever making this throw, and that's okay.

Athletically he's not in the same realm as a Lamar Jackson or a Kyler Murray. Size wise he's not a guy that stands out the way a Josh Allen, Cam Newton or Justin Herbert stand out.

Drew Brees was a top NFL QB for 15 years and he was never going to win any sort of airport contest. He looked just like a regular guy but he had outstanding accuracy and anticipation and he worked his ass off. Brees also didn't have instant success the way Purdy has had, Brees came in and struggled, had some injury issues, it took him a few years to get going and when he did, he left no doubt that he was one of the very best, year in and year out despite being on the smaller side, despite not having a cannon arm or being a super athlete.

Bullcrap on the least physically talented crap. *AGAIN*. He's above average in arm strength, short area quickness and athleticism. No, he's not the tallest, no he doesn't have the strongest arm, no he does't run runs 4.2 in the 40. I grant you that. But he's plenty faster and has a stronger arm than a Nick Mullens and plenty more mobile than a BeatHard. Those guys are what I call lesser athletes.
it's a good thing that Physical advantage is so so important Comparatively. There are too many big arm, tall quarterbacks that suck

Agreed. We spent 3 first round picks on one and I argued all offseason that Brock should be the focus over him.

Now when you can convince hot take talking heads otherwise, you'll get somewhere.
Good call on Trey. I thought that with his ability to run, we would get a few extra first downs every game, which could mean all the difference as long as he is an above average passer.

Originally posted by Viperboy:
Jim Druckenmiller begs to differ

I concur
Share 49ersWebzone