LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 158 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

was this posted earlier? either way i like!
Originally posted by 49ersking:
The two throws (& catches) to JJ and Aiyuk during the game winning drive, man, that is some BIG TIME throws, under pressure.
Sometimes people think it's expected of a QB, but he is not a 1st round pick with a $50 million contract.
Good job.

I actually think the biggest play was the 9-yard scramble to set up 3rd and 1 and the game winning TD.

Jimmy probably gets sacked to make it 3rd and 15.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
I don't care if I sound like a conspiracy theorist. I don't care if I sound insecure. I don't care if I sound delusional. I am going to say it because after today, it is blatantly obvious:

There is 120% a widespread anti-Purdy media narrative. And it could not be anymore obvious. The dude has set a record over his first 24+ starts in passer rating. The dude has been to back-to-back NFC Championships. The dude has won more than three-quarters of his games. The dude has played better in Kyle Shanahan's offense than anyone ever has. The dude just had a game-winning TD drive in a playoff game.

It is STILL not enough according to the mainstream pipeline. The goalposts have now moved yet again for the 100th time.

It is so obvious at this point that NFL front offices and scouting departments have the media by the nuts and are BEGGING them to tear down Purdy. They simply can NOT afford Purdy to be a franchise QB because it would make every single one of them look bad for passing on him for an entire draft.

I will NOT be silent! It is blatantly obvious at this point and is 100% crystal clear after today. Not ONE media talking head EXCEPT for Sherman, Acho and Brou gave him credit. Everyone else tore him down. This is so ridiculous.
Ha! When you're a 7th rounder, you're not supposed to be doing or putting great numbers like this especially as a second-year starter. You are supposed to be buried in the depth chart and have a Colt Mccoy type career.. where you only get to play in a blowout game and/or an emergency situation. Other than Brady and Warner, who else have succeeded as late rounder? Hasselback(6th), maybe Brad Johnson(7th)? Good quarterbacks that had good careers relative to where they got picked. Certainly not the "Franchised QB" that got picked in the early rounds. It's the round he was picked why they will continue to discredit him until he proves them otherwise by putting good numbers and winning. It's going to take time and he's on a great start.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Bullcrap on the least physically talented crap. *AGAIN*. He's above average in arm strength, short area quickness and athleticism. No, he's not the tallest, no he doesn't have the strongest arm, no he does't run runs 4.2 in the 40. I grant you that. But he's plenty faster and has a stronger arm than a Nick Mullens and plenty more mobile than a BeatHard. Those guys are what I call lesser athletes.

Those guys are also 2nd and 3rd stringers with very little physical talent. Brock is certainly more talented than them physically and otherwise.

Mahomes
Allen
Herbert
Rodgers
Burrow
Stafford
Lamar
Kyler
Lawrence
Watson
Love
Fields
Stroud
Richardson
Goff
Baker

The list could go on. But this is 16 starters. Which one could you seriously argue that Brock has a physicality advantage over? He may have more short area mobility than a handful of them and that's it.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Jan 22, 2024 at 8:30 PM ]
Bullcrap on the least physically talented crap. *AGAIN*. He's above average in arm strength, short area quickness and athleticism. No, he's not the tallest, no he doesn't have the strongest arm, no he does't run runs 4.2 in the 40. I grant you that. But he's plenty faster and has a stronger arm than a Nick Mullens and plenty more mobile than a BeatHard. Those guys are what I call lesser athletes.

Its not, you can argue against all you want but you're arguing against reality. He doesn't have a stronger arm than even mid QB's like Goff and Mayfield. He doesn't have a weak arm ala Mullens but its not really exceptional in anyway. And once again, that's okay, it just means he has less leeway and margin for error than some other QBs do.

and has a stronger arm than a Nick Mullens and plenty more mobile than a BeatHard

There's good reason why those guys are 2nd and 3rd stringer quarterbacks and not starters.

What matters most is that physically, he's more than sufficient for what this offense requires, he can make all the throws that the offense demands, he just has to continue to improve his accuracy, recognition and delivery. A lot of that will come with time and experience but he has the opportunity in front of him to become a truly dangerous player, if he wants to work for it.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Those guys are also 2nd and 3rd stringers with very little physical talent. Brock is certainly more talented than them physically and otherwise.

Mahomes
Allen
Herbert
Rodgers
Burrow
Stafford
Lamar
Kyler
Lawrence
Watson
Love
Fields
Stroud
Richardson
Goff
Baker

The list could go on. But this is 16 starters. Which one could you seriously argue that Brock has a physicality advantage over? He may have more short area mobility than a handful of them and that's it.

"he may have more short area mobility "more like he does have more short area mobility than most all of them. he runs for his life almost every game and has probably avoided at least 20 or 30 sacks
Originally posted by elguapo:
"he may have more short area mobility "more like he does have more short area mobility than most all of them. he runs for his life almost every game and has probably avoided at least 20 or 30 sacks

That's fair. There's plenty of mobility on that list too, including a handful of guys with gamebreaking running ability.

Brock avoids sacks not just because of quickness, but again also because of intelligence. Justin Fields is 5x the athlete Brock is and is a sack taking machine because he's brain dead back there.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Jan 22, 2024 at 8:35 PM ]
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by elguapo:
"Not physically talented" yet you could argue he is the MOST talented quarterback at getting out of sacks because he has such a fast 10 yards split. Faster than any quarterback in the whole league (I believe he's tied with Lamar Jackson for #1). We have all seen him get out of a PLETHORA of sacks and be so elite at getting out of pressure and making elite plays.

The quote is one of the least physically talented QBs among starters… and the post(s) specifically highlighted his short area quickness as a real plus. There's no denying he has a physical advantage there. It's probably the only one he has.

Your leaving the mental aspect which makes Purdy elite, processing. Not saying he's Montana or Brady but they had that as well. Maybe Mahomes is the only one with elite processing and athletic superior skills.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Its not, you can argue against all you want but you're arguing against reality. He doesn't have a stronger arm than even mid QB's like Goff and Mayfield. He doesn't have a weak arm ala Mullens but its not really exceptional in anyway. And once again, that's okay, it just means he has less leeway and margin for error than some other QBs do.

and has a stronger arm than a Nick Mullens and plenty more mobile than a BeatHard

There's good reason why those guys are 2nd and 3rd stringer quarterbacks and not starters.

What matters most is that physically, he's more than sufficient for what this offense requires, he can make all the throws that the offense demands, he just has to continue to improve his accuracy, recognition and delivery. A lot of that will come with time and experience but he has the opportunity in front of him to become a truly dangerous player, if he wants to work for it.

His accuracy and recognition is already better than 98% of NFL QBs, he just struggles in the rain. Maybe he figured it out on that last drive.

Originally posted by bassmanr:
Your leaving the mental aspect which makes Purdy elite, processing. Not saying he's Montana or Brady but they had that as well. Maybe Mahomes is the only one with elite processing and athletic superior skills.

I think I covered that in terms of his overall intelligence and polished skills as a QB (especially as a young player). He's fantastic in that regard, though I'd argue you're not paying close enough attention to other great QB's if you think they don't have this ability as well. Varying degrees, of course... but the great QB's in this league all read and process defenses well.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
His accuracy and recognition is already better than 98% of NFL QBs, he just struggles in the rain. Maybe he figured it out on that last drive.

hes a timing based thrower every one is slower in the rain which is why you see the ball thrown ahead of the Wrs
Originally posted by ritz126:

hes a timing based thrower every one is slower in the rain which is why you see the ball thrown ahead of the Wrs

In the rain he throws behind, over, in front of, below, etc

very un purdy like, i think he'll figure it out
Originally posted by picklejuice:

was this posted earlier? either way i like!

I remember going from panic thinking it was a delay of game to ecstatic in a sec
In the rain he throws behind, over, in front of, below, etc

very un purdy like, i think he'll figure it out

Frustrating in the sense that its just so inconsistent. He obviously also hit some really nice throws like the Jennings conversion, TD to Kittle on the move, the Aiyuk slant, etc.

He ditched the glove pretty quick. Can't say I saw an inaccurate pass when he was wearing it, but there were only a couple attempts. Obviously he hit Savage in the chest but I don't think that was an inaccurate throw as much as a poor read.
Share 49ersWebzone