LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 194 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Frustrating in the sense that its just so inconsistent. He obviously also hit some really nice throws like the Jennings conversion, TD to Kittle on the move, the Aiyuk slant, etc.

He ditched the glove pretty quick. Can't say I saw an inaccurate pass when he was wearing it, but there were only a couple attempts. Obviously he hit Savage in the chest but I don't think that was an inaccurate throw as much as a poor read.

that was a bad read he just didnt see the S and saw the Cb playing outside leverage so he threw it inside
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Giedi:
Bullcrap on the least physically talented crap. *AGAIN*. He's above average in arm strength, short area quickness and athleticism. No, he's not the tallest, no he doesn't have the strongest arm, no he does't run runs 4.2 in the 40. I grant you that. But he's plenty faster and has a stronger arm than a Nick Mullens and plenty more mobile than a BeatHard. Those guys are what I call lesser athletes.

Those guys are also 2nd and 3rd stringers with very little physical talent. Brock is certainly more talented than them physically and otherwise.

Mahomes
Allen
Herbert
Rodgers
Burrow
Stafford
Lamar
Kyler
Lawrence
Watson
Love
Fields
Stroud
Richardson
Goff
Baker

The list could go on. But this is 16 starters. Which one could you seriously argue that Brock has a physicality advantage over? He may have more short area mobility than a handful of them and that's it.

Skinny chicken legged Montana didn't have a physical advantage over them either.
+ only 3 on that list have won a superbowl.
Originally posted by Crown:
Skinny chicken legged Montana didn't have a physical advantage over them either.
+ only 3 on that list have won a superbowl.

Correctamundo.

(SBs are a team accomplishment though, lol.)
A lot of Purdy hate comes from ppl making ridiculous claims about him & putting him in best QBs in the league conversation. For example - someone saying his arm is just a notch below Mahomes and Allen. Why make such a disingenuous claims? Anyone watching the games can tell you're not being honest.

He's a good quarterback who is great in Shanahan's system and on a roster full of elite players on offense. There is nothing wrong with admitting that.

But to say - he has nothing left to prove or bring up Montana or say he's a top 5 QB in the league - is just inviting criticism.

Talk about his play recognition and understanding one of the tougher playbook in the game. Talk about his mind and understanding coverages and pass the ball quickly. Those are really tough things to be good at 2 years in your career but ppl here will argue about his arm is just a notch below Allen and he can make all the throws.
Originally posted by q0c0p:
Haters are just mad cuz purdy isnt your typical 6'4 qb with otherworld arm talent. He doesnt fit the narrative so they hate on him. We just need to keep winning, get that chip, and who cares what they say.
There ya go I feel the same way. Let them all talk while Purdy just keeps winning with his somewhat below average self.
The youngster is pretty fr@@@ing good from my point of view but what do I know LOL Go Niners!!!!!!!
Originally posted by 4ML:
A lot of Purdy hate comes from ppl making ridiculous claims about him & putting him in best QBs in the league conversation. For example - someone saying his arm is just a notch below Mahomes and Allen. Why make such a disingenuous claims? Anyone watching the games can tell you're not being honest.

He's a good quarterback who is great in Shanahan's system and on a roster full of elite players on offense. There is nothing wrong with admitting that.

But to say - he has nothing left to prove or bring up Montana or say he's a top 5 QB in the league - is just inviting criticism.

Talk about his play recognition and understanding one of the tougher playbook in the game. Talk about his mind and understanding coverages and pass the ball quickly. Those are really tough things to be good at 2 years in your career but ppl here will argue about his arm is just a notch below Allen and he can make all the throws.

This was the other point I was getting at.

It's not just the wild claims from Niners fans it's also the attacks they go on when someone says something otherwise. You're inviting reactionary takes when you are way out there, a dick about it, and something goes wrong and can be rubbed in your face.

That said, the criticism he gets in the media is still ridiculous in many cases. I don't want to blame nutty 49ers fans when they aren't the source of it… even if they feed it.
Originally posted by Cg9erSF:
Haters are just mad cuz purdy isnt your typical 6'4 qb with otherworld arm talent. He doesnt fit the narrative so they hate on him. We just need to keep winning, get that chip, and who cares what they say.
There ya go I feel the same way. Let them all talk while Purdy just keeps winning with his somewhat below average self.
The youngster is pretty fr@@@ing good from my point of view but what do I know LOL Go Niners!!!!!!!

Pretty much. He's a pretty good quarterback who can win Super Bowl for us. Don't care what analysts have to say. Win the Super Bowl is all I care about.

Everything else is meaningless.
"….So there's definitely a few that got Brock, a few that he probably just missed trying to throw around a guy so it doesn't get tipped and a couple that you just can't explain, that just do happen. You usually have a couple in the game, but then you add a couple more with weather and a couple more just not being exactly on the throw. He had a few too many of them. He also made some hell of a throws too. Dropping some of those balls over that middle linebacker to get to [receiver] Jauan [Jennings] was unbelievable. The low and away ball to [receiver Brandon Aiyuk] on third down when they had pretty tight coverage on it. It was a hell of a throw and a hell of a catch that kept us out there, after the drop. So, he did a lot of good things too. By no means was he perfect, but it was really cool when we needed him to be at his best, he was. So, it gave us the best chance to win at the end."

😍 Brock baby!

surprising stat of the game for me, third downs. We were 10-16. Lol felt way worse than that.
This was the other point I was getting at.

It's not just the wild claims from Niners fans it's also the attacks they go on when someone says something otherwise. You're inviting reactionary takes when you are way out there, a dick about it, and something goes wrong and can be rubbed in your face.

That said, the criticism he gets in the media is still ridiculous in many cases. I don't want to blame nutty 49ers fans when they aren't the source of it… even if they feed it.

Very true. Also - ppl need to understand - media is also not having honest conversations. They're in entertainment business - not say what you believe business. They have to argue to make it a "debate" and for that you've to disagree. In a debate class - they literally ask you to make arguments for both sides.

It's not to be taken so seriously and personally. If everyone agrees - ppl probably won't tune in. So, theyll argue about anything and take positions even if they don't believe it.
Can Shanahan ever have an elite QB? Is that Purdy? Is it someone else?
These "almost winning the SB seasons" are tiring and frankly, boring. We basically lose the entertainment value that the game provides.

Originally posted by picklejuice:

was this posted earlier? either way i like!

Man that is humorously interesting to say the least. Juice is yelling at George to "park his ass" there right after he starts to motion. It's nearly a delay of game and Walla, long ass TD run. oh sorry correction, it's actually Brock yelling at George to "stay there stay there" after juice was signaling him to go in motion.
[ Edited by ninerjok on Jan 22, 2024 at 9:08 PM ]
Very true. Also - ppl need to understand - media is also not having honest conversations. They're in entertainment business - not say what you believe business. They have to argue to make it a "debate" and for that you've to disagree. In a debate class - they literally ask you to make arguments for both sides.

It's not to be taken so seriously and personally. If everyone agrees - ppl probably won't tune in. So, theyll argue about anything and take positions even if they don't believe it.

Exactly. And the Niners fanbase is large, loud, and involved. They want every bit of attention from this group as they can get. It's good for business.
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Purdy is literally one of the most polarizing people in all of sports the second he took over in the MIA game. Pretty nuts.

I am so confused about it.

I don't know what it stems from and I don't know whats going on.

The "checkdown" memes were all over social today.

Unwarranted and absent of reality.

It means that it drives content and audience.

Exactly. And the Niners fanbase is large, loud, and involved. They want every bit of attention from this group as they can get. It's good for business.

I stopped watching these "debate" shows a lot time ago. Probably like 10-12 years ago. I'll see some clips here and there on Twitter but avoid them like plague. They can only make you dumber imho.
Originally posted by Cg9erSF:

Pretty much. He's a pretty good quarterback who can win Super Bowl for us. Don't care what analysts have to say. Win the Super Bowl is all I care about.

Everything else is meaningless.
Share 49ersWebzone