LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 206 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Brady still has a few detractors, everyone laughs at them now though.

At a certain point, if you win enough, the criticism just stops making sense.

Ridiculous nonsense.

I will say this, very simply for everyone to hear:

In 2024 (and quite honestly, as far back as say 2010, definitely 2016+), if your team wins a Super Bowl your QB is legit. Maybe you could make an exception for Nick Foles, but in general the performance needed has to be legit (and Foles was good in that game).

Had the Niners won the SB with Garoppolo, one way or the other he was legit. Maybe not an ultra franchise elite guy, but given how freaking hard it is to win an SB, at some point the QB has to win it for you.

The fact that there are a lot of highly rated but not elite guys who haven't won (many) playoff games (Dak, Cousins) means there's no guarantee they win a Bowl with the 49ers. None.

Winning in postseason is hard to do. On some level Garoppolo might've been a bit underrated....
That's why I believe the coach of the year award should go to the HC who has his team win the whole god damned thing.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Everything Brock has done so far means nothing . The only thing that matters is what he does the rest of the way starting Sunday. Josh Allen was great down the stretch for the Bills. He was a one man wrecking crew. In the end it didn't matter. He couldn't beat the Chiefs. That's how I feel about Brock. He needs to play well and beat the Lions or all his nice stats in 2023 don't mean squat.

It can't be all or nothing for a 2nd year player starting his first full season coming off a major injury. He's answered a lot of questions this year. If we come up short and his play is a reason, it's just another piece to use for evaluation moving forward.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
I still love Jimmy, but dude was awful in the playoffs. It's just a fact. It's a miracle we won four playoff games with him.

His BEST playoff game was the NFC Championship loss to the Rams where we scored 17 points and he completely disappeared after the good TD pass to Kittle in the 3rd. Playoff sample sizes are obviously small but so far Purdy's WORST playoff game out of 3 was still better than Jimmy's BEST playoff game out of 6.

Yeah, Jimmy just rode the talent around him, but didn't elevate anything. Jimmy had spectacular defenses (arguably all better than what we have this year) and better o line protection than we have this year.

i always liked and supported jimmy but you're right, he was at his worst when we needed him most. Brocks poise and ability to buy Time in the pocket is huge. Brock is also a lot more accurate than jimmy was in crunch time. Jimmy would start forcing balls and making WTF throws.
Hot take: After watching more film, Brock Purdy didn't have a "bad game". What he did was similar to the Cowboys playoff game last year. He was a game manager. It was exactly what was needed after the entire team looked sluggish out of the bye with the bad weather.

We can say what we want about Brock's small sample size in the playoffs but he's done tbings no one else has done in nfl history or better than what other top tier guys have done.

You can't compare apples to apples cause who you play and when you play teams matter but Brock has made the most of his opportunities and he deserves respect for that - especially coming through last game when he was needed most, with every reason in the world to think he would fail us.

I LOVE BROCK!!!!
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Hot take: After watching more film, Brock Purdy didn't have a "bad game". What he did was similar to the Cowboys playoff game last year. He was a game manager. It was exactly what was needed after the entire team looked sluggish out of the bye with the bad weather.

I think the expectations for this offense are what made so many of us distraught with his performance but he wasn't as bad as it seemed live, IMO. We just have really high expectations for him.

brock def missed quite a few throws he usually makes, His footwork got sloppy at times etc but he was perfect when we needed him most and that's what I love to see!!! If kittle didn't drop that pass - Brock is perfect on the game winning drive.
I don't think he had a bad game but for his standards it wasn't great.

The last drive showed he is him. Game on the line and he goes near perfect on that drive. QB sneak. That scramble run. Those perfect throws.

Remember one of Brock's strengths is his accuracy. He was off on a rainy night. Oh well. As long as he dialed it in for a win is all that counts.

We should be actually praising him today rather than bashing him because he didn't have his usualy 100+ rating game. He can ball out even with an ugly win is what I am excited about for the future.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
It can't be all or nothing for a 2nd year player starting his first full season coming off a major injury. He's answered a lot of questions this year. If we come up short and his play is a reason, it's just another piece to use for evaluation moving forward.

Everything Brock has done so far means nothing . The only thing that matters is what he does the rest of the way starting Sunday. Josh Allen was great down the stretch for the Bills. He was a one man wrecking crew. In the end it didn't matter. He couldn't beat the Chiefs. That's how I feel about Brock. He needs to play well and beat the Lions or all his nice stats in 2023 don't mean squat.

All I'm saying is that all his in season stats are meaningless if they don't at least get to the SB. That's why they play. They don't go back and say well at least your stats were good for the year. It's not fantasy football where you get points for leading certain categories. These guys play for 2 reasons. Money and the Lombardi trophy.
All I'm saying is that all his in season stats are meaningless if they don't at least get to the SB. That's why they play. They don't go back and say well at least your stats were good for the year. It's not fantasy football where you get points for leading certain categories. These guys play for 2 reasons. Money and the Lombardi trophy.

Ok thats fair. The stats are always b******t to me for the most part. Just saying you can't judge a young player like this purely on whether or not his team wins the SB. Playing well throughout the season counts.

Originally posted by tankle104:
I think the expectations for this offense are what made so many of us distraught with his performance but he wasn't as bad as it seemed live, IMO. We just have really high expectations for him.

brock def missed quite a few throws he usually makes, His footwork got sloppy at times etc but he was perfect when we needed him most and that's what I love to see!!! If kittle didn't drop that pass - Brock is perfect on the game winning drive.
He also made plays when he needed to make them.

We can say what we want about Brock's small sample size in the playoffs but he's done tbings no one else has done in nfl history or better than what other top tier guys have done.

You can't compare apples to apples cause who you play and when you play teams matter but Brock has made the most of his opportunities and he deserves respect for that - especially coming through last game when he was needed most, with every reason in the world to think he would fail us.

I LOVE BROCK!!!!

Speaking of goalposts

Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:

Brock missed some reads and was inaccurate for a good portion of the game. Bad weather is an issue going forward (which is a different debate)…however he then went down the field and helped win the game. We won a sloppy game playing at a C level…if we play at the level we usually do, that's a f**king blowout. Plain and simple.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I LOVE BROCK!!!!

Speaking of goalposts

when did we start using Riddicks words as gospel or have any value ?

dude has been hating us since we didn't hire him as GM

Ok thats fair. The stats are always b******t to me for the most part. Just saying you can't judge a young player like this purely on whether or not his team wins the SB. Playing well throughout the season counts.

It's not about judging a player. It's about winning. That's all this game is about. The players don't give a crap about whether they're ranked #1 or #20. They want to win. I don't think any of them are going to be happy if they don't make it to the SB. If they lose on Sunday it won't change my opinion of Purdy unless he's really terrible but I'm not going to look back and say at least his season stats were good. I would prefer that the season stats were average but they win the SB. I don't put this all on the QB by any measure. The entire team needs to play well so it's not about Purdy. It's about people that keep citing his stats as if that means anything now. It doesn't.
Share 49ersWebzone