LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 184 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
It's not about judging a player. It's about winning. That's all this game is about. The players don't give a crap about whether they're ranked #1 or #20. They want to win. I don't think any of them are going to be happy if they don't make it to the SB. If they lose on Sunday it won't change my opinion of Purdy unless he's really terrible but I'm not going to look back and say at least his season stats were good. I would prefer that the season stats were average but they win the SB. I don't put this all on the QB by any measure. The entire team needs to play well so it's not about Purdy. It's about people that keep citing his stats as if that means anything now. It doesn't.

Q1 looms large, wonder if we want to start with the ball, and make a statement get out 7-0 and put DET behind to begin. Have the D play with the lead.
It's not about judging a player. It's about winning. That's all this game is about. The players don't give a crap about whether they're ranked #1 or #20. They want to win. I don't think any of them are going to be happy if they don't make it to the SB. If they lose on Sunday it won't change my opinion of Purdy unless he's really terrible but I'm not going to look back and say at least his season stats were good. I would prefer that the season stats were average but they win the SB. I don't put this all on the QB by any measure. The entire team needs to play well so it's not about Purdy. It's about people that keep citing his stats as if that means anything now. It doesn't.

I agree with you. We're just talking about different things it seems. When I say judging a player I mean that in the context of building a winning team. If Brock were to play like s**t for example, we'd have more questions going into next year and the following offseason when we'd have to pay him. Obviously we want to pay a guy who we are sure is capable of winning. Regular season play is a part of that eval. That's all.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Q1 looms large, wonder if we want to start with the ball, and make a statement get out 7-0 and put DET behind to begin. Have the D play with the lead.

I'd have to defer if we won the toss and I think the team will with damn near certainty.

Def not going to be upset if we lose the toss and have the decision made for us, lol.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
All I'm saying is that all his in season stats are meaningless if they don't at least get to the SB. That's why they play. They don't go back and say well at least your stats were good for the year. It's not fantasy football where you get points for leading certain categories. These guys play for 2 reasons. Money and the Lombardi trophy.

Ok thats fair. The stats are always b******t to me for the most part. Just saying you can't judge a young player like this purely on whether or not his team wins the SB. Playing well throughout the season counts.

Every season there is 1 SB winner. I get that SB is important, but you cannot group the other 31 teams and say they are just losers, as if there are no differences in any other accomplishments.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

I'd have to defer if we won the toss and I think the team will with damn near certainty.

Def not going to be upset if we lose the toss and have the decision made for us, lol.

The logic is vs GB, they wanted ball, and drove for half the first quarter. I think our strength is our O vs the DET D. They may have success vs our D, as they have a pretty insane O, especially where we are weak, which is their RB duo/OL. So if we defer, we may be looking at few possessions yet again in Q1 or Half 1.

I think if we take the ball, we can be the ones marching down, scoring and putting them in a deficit, we get the crowd going. That may help our chances. Kyle does almost always defer, so I don't expect us to take the ball. Campbell sometimes will take the ball.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Hot take: After watching more film, Brock Purdy didn't have a "bad game". What he did was similar to the Cowboys playoff game last year. He was a game manager. It was exactly what was needed after the entire team looked sluggish out of the bye with the bad weather.

I think the expectations for this offense are what made so many of us distraught with his performance but he wasn't as bad as it seemed live, IMO. We just have really high expectations for him.

brock def missed quite a few throws he usually makes, His footwork got sloppy at times etc but he was perfect when we needed him most and that's what I love to see!!! If kittle didn't drop that pass - Brock is perfect on the game winning drive.

Brock missed some reads and was inaccurate for a good portion of the game. Bad weather is an issue going forward (which is a different debate)…however he then went down the field and helped win the game. We won a sloppy game playing at a C level…if we play at the level we usually do, that's a f**king blowout. Plain and simple.

I really think we put on an effin show this weekend and shut the lions up. They're gritty and will fight till the end, so we have to be prepared for that, but I expect us to drop 35+ and they score like 24
I'm deferring the ball if I win the coin toss, nearly every single time. There are unique situations where that may not be the case but I like having the ball first after half when you've had a chance to make adjustments and know what's going on.

we also have a good defense, elite when it's playing it's best, so I trust them to hold good offenses to at least a field goal. As long as we can hold teams to field goals and not touchdowns, that's a win.

Lol. Imagine putting any stock in this s**t.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
I still love Jimmy, but dude was awful in the playoffs. It's just a fact. It's a miracle we won four playoff games with him.

His BEST playoff game was the NFC Championship loss to the Rams where we scored 17 points and he completely disappeared after the good TD pass to Kittle in the 3rd. Playoff sample sizes are obviously small but so far Purdy's WORST playoff game out of 3 was still better than Jimmy's BEST playoff game out of 6.

Yeah, Jimmy just rode the talent around him, but didn't elevate anything. Jimmy had spectacular defenses (arguably all better than what we have this year) and better o line protection than we have this year.

i always liked and supported jimmy but you're right, he was at his worst when we needed him most. Brocks poise and ability to buy Time in the pocket is huge. Brock is also a lot more accurate than jimmy was in crunch time. Jimmy would start forcing balls and making WTF throws.

To me, Brock's best play wasn't the dot to Kittle for the TD, or the dot to Aiyuk on 3rd and 5, or the dot to Conley.

It was the 2nd and 10 in the red zone after the two-minute warning where he got pressure and then took off and ran for 9 yards.

I'm 99% sure Jimmy just takes a sack in that situation, or forces the ball and then something potentially season-ending happens.

Brock taking the 9 yards there was an excellent decision. From there, on 3rd and 1 and still three timeouts, Kyle's decision was very easy. A lot of uncluth QB's would've led to 3rd and 10+ or even a turnover and suddenly the game is a few times harder to win in that moment.
Some meathead on Twitter is calling the great throw to Juwan Jennings "lucky." Because their were 3 defenders around. He said Purdy threw it into triple coverage and got lucky. He doesn't understand the layered throws and how accurate Purdy is. Also Matt Leinhart called him an iditot. Saying it wasn't triple coverage and it was a real accurate throw.

a difference maker is someone who can run and throw apparently

If tom brady and peyton manning came in the league today they wouldnt be difference makers

This might be the dumbest one yet and I was someone pounding the table for Fields the moment we made the trade with the Dolphins for #3 overall…

The 9ers need to downgrade massively at QB to get a guy who can run around better?

The hive mind is insane.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

This might be the dumbest one yet and I was someone pounding the table for Fields the moment we made the trade with the Dolphins for #3 overall…

That tells me they don't watch the NFL at all. They also put him in an impossible position. Win and he is a just a product of great players and coaching. Lose and it's his fault. Nothing less than Super Bowl win. See how they set him up for failure?

Nick WRONG moving the goal posts and getting called out for it. Broussard always owns him.

Share 49ersWebzone