LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 211 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
Not to nit-pick but I don't think the rain was that big of a factor. Love had some balls slip off his hands as well. BP wasn't the only one having trouble.

To me, the biggest factor for the 49ers was the inability to block Kenny Clark (320 pounds) and TJ Slaton (330 pounds). They owned the middle of the LOS and consistently muddied the front of the pocket.

Last night I rewatched the game, (Without the adrenalin surge, it was quite pleasant. ) Purdy missed on four throws where he had a clean pocket. A couple of those appeared to be the result of a wet ball. On five other throws, I noted specifically, that one or the other of those GB monsters had a hand in Purdy's face and forced him to throw it around their hands or off his back foot. Brendel and Burford (when he was in) could not control the middle of the LOS. Notably, on the final drive, Feliciano was at RG and Purdy was able to play the way we are used to seeing him play.

In the second half of your comment, GB did well because their lines played very well.

They did? I thought for the most part Brock had time to throw the ball…the weather was clearly an issue more for Brock than Love. Yes he was pressure on some of those big misses, but he's been able to hit on those passes all year. Ain't nobody getting clean pockets all game, especially in the playoffs.

if anything I think Colton was the guy that gave up some pressure on plays that could have been explosives

[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jan 23, 2024 at 11:49 AM ]
Originally posted by tankle104:
I think our entire team plays worse in the rain, not just Brock. Rain is a great equalizer. We are a better team than the packers but jt made us more even cause of the weather. Our defense was slipping, which is really the only way they scored. Our O line was getting abused (besides trent). Brock was slippin. I just hate the rain and it made us worse, which helped even the playing field between us and the pack.

you'll see it this week. We will be shakin and moving again. Dominating on offense.
I hope you are right. It won't be all that easy. Detroit has Alim McNeil in the middle. He is stout and quick. (#7 ranked ID in the league.) They have Hutchinson coming off the edge. He is a pure stud. Mckivitz will get tested harder than the GB game.

If those two have their way, it will mask the relative deficiencies the Lions have in the secondary.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I have been around football now for 44 years, as a player, and currently as a coach/scout/recruiter. I have never seen this level of unfair, insanely biased criticism of a player in my life. I mean, every daytime sports show - First Take, Undisputed, Fist Take, Colin, NFL Live, Speak, ALL OF THEM - are holding Brock to a standard that's painfully obvious they are struggling to maintain consistency when critiquing other QB's.

For a while I thought that this unfair criticism would even out, especially once he got a comeback win with missing talent around him. Quite the contrary, the criticism has gotten worse. Now I'm thoroughly convinced that not even a SB win quiet these people. Watching these sports shows I really feel that that GB win really pissed some people off, that they really wanted him to loose. Every time the 9ers win they strain their comprehension to explain how Brock wasn't the reason for win. In the GB game, it was CLEAR that Brock was the reason why we won. But listening to the national sports media trip over themselves praise Jordan Love you'd think GB won the game. Not one roasted Jordan Love for throwing 2 INT's. Not one mentioned that Brock had much better stats than Love. Can you imagine the excoriation of Brock had he thrown 2 INT's, one that lost them the game? Whole segments would have been on that alone. The talking points would write themselves.

It's clear to me that the sports media will not let Brock live down "Mr. Irrelevant". They just can't get past it no matter how many games he wins. I think the mental thinking goes something like this: "Mr. Irrelevant don't deserve to win, much less win the SB, especially over more established QG's. He's Mr. Irrelevant for a reason. It's not fare for him to be in this position when other, more deserving QB's have been in the league longer and drafted much higher with far more talent that we'd prefer to have this spot."

I just wish they be man enough and come out and say what they REALLY feel about Brock and stop presenting the world with these floating goalposts no other QB is expected hit.

Well said sir.

Agree with everything expect that I believe the narrative shifts if he's holding the trophy. Then the negative narrative would be ridiculed. But nothing short of that…
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
im willing to bet purdy balls out and puts up 400 yards on the lions

what da haters gonna say then?

I predicted 276 and 4 scores. 400 yds would be a bit alarming. Would imply we are chucking all day and in some sort of insane shootout or trailing. I could be thinking too much about gameflow

I'd be curious in a stat like team record when QB goes for 400.

im predicting a legit shootout
The narrative won't shift if Brock wins the SB. They already have set up that argument. Brock has Tony Stark and the Averangers.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Not to nit-pick but I don't think the rain was that big of a factor. Love had some balls slip off his hands as well. BP wasn't the only one having trouble.

To me, the biggest factor for the 49ers was the inability to block Kenny Clark (320 pounds) and TJ Slaton (330 pounds). They owned the middle of the LOS and consistently muddied the front of the pocket.

Last night I rewatched the game, (Without the adrenalin surge, it was quite pleasant. ) Purdy missed on four throws where he had a clean pocket. A couple of those appeared to be the result of a wet ball. On five other throws, I noted specifically, that one or the other of those GB monsters had a hand in Purdy's face and forced him to throw it around their hands or off his back foot. Brendel and Burford (when he was in) could not control the middle of the LOS. Notably, on the final drive, Feliciano was at RG and Purdy was able to play the way we are used to seeing him play.

In the second half of your comment, GB did well because their lines played very well.

They did? I thought for the most part Brock had time to throw the ball…the weather was clearly an issue more for Brock than Love.

if anything I think Colton was the guy that gave up some pressure on plays that could have been explosives

Go back and watch. He has time to get the throw off but the hands up in front of him are altering his release point. Shanahan even mentioned that in his presser
Originally posted by YACBros85:
The narrative won't shift if Brock wins the SB. They already have set up that argument. Brock has Tony Stark and the Averangers.

Agree to disagree. Holding the trophy, beating Lamar/Mahomes.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

I hope pat shows up up to the NFCC with a Purdy jersey on and gets our locker room amped up.

Everything Pat said! LFG Pat!!! Yeah!! Haha DONE with the fking BP nitpicking BS! LG

Gosh, I love George haha

Originally posted by YACBros85:

narrative may stay the same if niners win the next two games just like the way they won vs the packers

Love the we should have won stuff (I mean we say it too 😝 ).

End of the day the only TDs they got were from a massively underthrown PI, which lead to our guy slipping on the grass for the open TD…..and them getting a 70 yard kick return, fumbling and getting lucky that it bounced right back in their chest.

There was multiple no-holding calls. One on RayRay, one on Kittle, and like always a couple on Bosa. Don't get me started on the flop with Trent 😂
Go back and watch. He has time to get the throw off but the hands up in front of him are altering his release point. Shanahan even mentioned that in his presser

That's nothing new man, every QB deals with that including Brock. The OL play overall shouldn't be an excuses for him being wildly inaccurate and missing reads. He played poorly for 3QRs and a good part of that was because of the rain.

fwiw I provided multiple clips of the protection being fine and he simply made the wrong read or was inaccurate. I expect a rebound game for the passing offense this week
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jan 23, 2024 at 12:07 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Love the we should have won stuff (I mean we say it too 😝 ).

End of the day the only TDs they got were from a massively underthrown PI, which lead to our guy slipping on the grass for the open TD…..and them getting a 70 yard kick return, fumbling and getting lucky that it bounced right back in their chest.

There was multiple no-holding calls. One on RayRay, one on Kittle, and like always a couple on Bosa. Don't get me started on the flop with Trent 😂

I think there should be a website that collects all the fan grievances from both teams, and then a neutral party arbitrates and assesses who benefitted more, who got LUCKY, etc. LOL!!!

These are great ones above!
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I predicted 276 and 4 scores. 400 yds would be a bit alarming. Would imply we are chucking all day and in some sort of insane shootout or trailing. I could be thinking too much about gameflow

I'd be curious in a stat like team record when QB goes for 400.

Not really, here's what Detroit's defense gave up in their last few games of the season:

• Week 16 @ Minnesota (411 by Mullens)
  • Week 17 @ Dallas (346 by Dak)
  • Week 18 vs Minnesota (396 by Mullens)
  • Wildcard vs Rams (367 by Stafford)
  • Divisional vs Tampa (349 by Mayfield)

They haven't held a QB under 300yds in weeks, and let Nick Mullens nearly break 400 on them twice.

Detroit can be passed on, the issue is going to be in the run game, and if McKivitz can hold up against Hutchinson.
Share 49ersWebzone