LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 205 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by 4ML:
Personally, all this criticism is good for our team. Keeps Purdy dialed in...keeps rest of the players go all out for him. This doesn't bother me at all.

Purdy doesn't let it get to him.

Agreed. The last time the media sucked off the 49ers they went on a three game losing streak (after DAL game).

Same, I welcome it. Tell them how bad they are, they seem to respond better than having sunshine blown up you know what.
Championships aren't won Monday thru Friday in the media.

championships are won and legends are made on the field on Sunday
I think the negativity is manufactured to gain viewership. When I listen to objective analysis done by previous NFL QBs they show the good and bad. I don't follow any of the clowns on ESPN. If I want to know what is being said by them, i come here for the comedic relief. So thanks.
Brock's detractors have come this far so there's only one way to shut them up, but even a ring probably won't be enough for them to admit they know Jack Ish.
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Brock's detractors have come this far so there's only one way to shut them up, but even a ring probably won't be enough for them to admit they know Jack Ish.

It won't keep them from talking, but 49er fans will be feeling soo good about Purdy and the team, no one would care. Just laugh at them at that point.
Niner fans realize that much of the disrespect Brock receives is because he was the last pick in the draft. Then there's the narrative about him playing for a bright offensive coach and being surrounded by a lot of talent. We have some that point to his lack of size, average arm strength and lack of running ability. All of those things are true.

He's not an athletic marvel that's going to keep DCs up at night trying to figure out how to contain him. He moves well in the pocket but he's not really a threat to run. His arm is more than adequate but it's not on the level of several other QBs. We've seen him struggle throwing in the rain. All of these things are true.

What he does as good as anyone is throw accurately and on time. His ball placement is usually perfect which allows the receivers a chance to gain extra yards. He reads defenses quickly and has good field vision. He understands the offense well. He's a terrific competitor. All of these traits make up for his shortcomings. The problem is the things he does well don't usually make the highlight reels so much of the nation doesn't see the good. They just know the part about being picked last and he's not big or fast.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Jan 23, 2024 at 1:27 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by dj43:
Go back and watch. He has time to get the throw off but the hands up in front of him are altering his release point. Shanahan even mentioned that in his presser

That's nothing new man, every QB deals with that including Brock. The OL play overall shouldn't be an excuses for him being wildly inaccurate and missing reads. He played poorly for 3QRs and a good part of that was because of the rain.

fwiw I provided multiple clips of the protection being fine and he simply made the wrong read or was inaccurate. I expect a rebound game for the passing offense this week

I noted that there were some bad throws where he had a clean pocket. Others were very difficult for reasons noted.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Niner fans realize that much of the disrespect Brock receives is because he was the last pick in the draft. Then there's the narrative about him playing for a bright offensive coach and being surrounded by a lot of talent. We have some that point to his lack of size, average arm strength and lack of running ability. All of those things are true.

He's not an athletic marvel that's going to keep DCs up at night trying to figure out how to contain him. He moves well in the pocket but he's not really a threat to run. His arm is more than adequate but it's not on the level of several other QBs. We've seen him struggle throwing in the rain. All of these things are true.

What he does as good as anyone is throw accurately and on time. His ball placement is usually perfect which allows the receivers a chance to gain extra yards. He reads defenses quickly and has good field vision. He understands the offense well. He's a terrific competitor. All of these traits make up for his shortcomings. The problem is the things he does well don't usually make the highlight reels so much of the nation doesn't see the good. They just know the part about being picked last and he's not big or fast.

I think Brock being the last pick in the draft is only a small part of why fans are so dismissive about his game.

For example, there's a good portion of NFL fans that don't believe in Tua and he was a first round pick.

Just like Tua, it's more about how he looks and the weak arm narrative. In addition to the bump that Kyle gives to all QBs.
Go back and watch. He has time to get the throw off but the hands up in front of him are altering his release point. Shanahan even mentioned that in his presser

That's nothing new man, every QB deals with that including Brock. The OL play overall shouldn't be an excuses for him being wildly inaccurate and missing reads. He played poorly for 3QRs and a good part of that was because of the rain.

fwiw I provided multiple clips of the protection being fine and he simply made the wrong read or was inaccurate. I expect a rebound game for the passing offense this week

I noted that there were some bad throws where he had a clean pocket. Others were very difficult for reasons noted.

He looked even worse than he actually was because he's usually deadly accurate.

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

He looked even worse than he actually was because he's usually deadly accurate.

Rain is his kryptonite
I think some fans are too sensitive and take it too much out of context. What I have heard is he has sucked in two rain games. That he did despite the 6 minute drive at the end, most of important of course.

It is a fact, if the Brock Rocket can't play in the rain in the future we do have an issue. It is a winter sport last I checked.

Brock is just fine. Love him. Learn to weigh the pros and cons like big boys and don't be so sensitive

The majority of chat I have heard this week is centered around this subject and not some master plan he's lucky to even played in college. And hell yeah that last drive-awesome. But in your same cheerleader outfit you should be able to have a conversation that in the elements he is a problem until proven otherwise. One drive doesn't answer that question yet. And we were not very good against the Pack. Fact.

Maybe in the offseason they can hold fire hoses on him and he can practice in the wet.

But Brock is fine. Everything I have heard in the media are things I believe to be valid questions. Doesn't mean send him to the gallos for a beheading.

Go Brock! Kill it against Detroit.
[ Edited by 9erson3 on Jan 23, 2024 at 1:49 PM ]
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Not sure if already posted, but an epic response to the Purdy hate.
Outside of the Bay Area, they say Goff is better than Purdy. I just don't see it at all, I guess Goff with prime Gurley was really good for two seasons, but we've seen him multiple times.
Brock put the team on his back for a game winning drive that ate the clock.

He finished with over 250 yards and a TD.

That's a gritty performance. He never looked shook up, he was confident and leading the team the whole time.
Share 49ersWebzone