There are 191 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
I still love Jimmy, but dude was awful in the playoffs. It's just a fact. It's a miracle we won four playoff games with him.

His BEST playoff game was the NFC Championship loss to the Rams where we scored 17 points and he completely disappeared after the good TD pass to Kittle in the 3rd. Playoff sample sizes are obviously small but so far Purdy's WORST playoff game out of 3 was still better than Jimmy's BEST playoff game out of 6.

Yeah, Jimmy just rode the talent around him, but didn't elevate anything. Jimmy had spectacular defenses (arguably all better than what we have this year) and better o line protection than we have this year.

i always liked and supported jimmy but you're right, he was at his worst when we needed him most. Brocks poise and ability to buy Time in the pocket is huge. Brock is also a lot more accurate than jimmy was in crunch time. Jimmy would start forcing balls and making WTF throws.

To me, Brock's best play wasn't the dot to Kittle for the TD, or the dot to Aiyuk on 3rd and 5, or the dot to Conley.

It was the 2nd and 10 in the red zone after the two-minute warning where he got pressure and then took off and ran for 9 yards.

I'm 99% sure Jimmy just takes a sack in that situation, or forces the ball and then something potentially season-ending happens.

Brock taking the 9 yards there was an excellent decision. From there, on 3rd and 1 and still three timeouts, Kyle's decision was very easy. A lot of uncluth QB's would've led to 3rd and 10+ or even a turnover and suddenly the game is a few times harder to win in that moment.
Agree, that was a great decision. But those other passes you mentioned are **elite** level pin point accuracy touch passes - and with some good velocity, I might add. Brock's athleticism (read athletic mobility and arm strength) are underrated - even by some 49er fans too.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

i didn't realize Brock has played in less games than love.

Thats what's wild to me is the media keeps talking about purdy like hes a seasoned vet and already hit his ceiling

Well there is a good portion of people who believe he's hit his ceiling because of his physical skill set. I don't believe that and I think it's nonsense but they're out there. As he gets more experience, he will continue to get better and more decisive. More potent in the 2 minute drill.

he's just scratching the surface. He has barely more games than stroud and they talk about him like the second coming of Jesus (and he's a freakin stud) but I think that if you're going to crown a young stud like stroud - then you should do the same with Brock.

overall, I don't really care what others think or feel. I just care about the team results. So eff all of them and let's go win a freakin chip!

Thats what's wild to me is the media keeps talking about purdy like hes a seasoned vet and already hit his ceiling

Well there is a good portion of people who believe he's hit his ceiling because of his physical skill set. I don't believe that and I think it's nonsense but they're out there. As he gets more experience, he will continue to get better and more decisive. More potent in the 2 minute drill.

he's just scratching the surface. He has barely more games than stroud and they talk about him like the second coming of Jesus (and he's a freakin stud) but I think that if you're going to crown a young stud like stroud - then you should do the same with Brock.

overall, I don't really care what others think or feel. I just care about the team results. So eff all of them and let's go win a freakin chip!

With Brady he wasn't nearly into all the fitness and nutrition and workouts, that came later. He was still eating pizza for those first few SBs. I think he won those early SBs and got a taste for it, and was maniacal to get back. Nothing like winning a SB. Maybe Brock has that breakthrough early in his career, also.

2 dubs away from legend status
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by TopDogBerkeley:
Notwithstanding the Amy Trask comments, if I were a GM and these were my final four draft options, my draft board would be
  1. Patrick Mahomes
  2. Lamar Jackson
  3. Brock Purdy
  4. Jared Goff
Here is how they were actually drafted relative to each other
  1. Jared Goff #1
  2. Patrick Mahomes #10
  3. Lamar Jackson #32
  4. Brock Purdy #262

Good post!

In terms of team building, I think we built like DET did. Neither SF or DET began their builds with the high end QB in the draft. Both traded for QBs, who were thought to be good / serviceable, and built around them.

I can see Goff being a good bridge QB Sort of like Jimmy was for Brock. For Detroit.

100%. No one, even Brady, Montana, or Maholmes makes the right decision on every play. There is always room to get better by making better decisions more often. There is no known ceiling to the mental aspect of the game.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Wow! Kyle is *Mad!* Wow!
I think I know what the hate is coming from. He looks like the gopher from Caddyshack and they can't handle him avoiding the dynamite and flooding of his home.
Personally I like this pest and I hope he destroys the rest of the league. Go the Varmint!
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
I think I know what the hate is coming from. He looks like the gopher from Caddyshack and they can't handle him avoiding the dynamite and flooding of his home.
Personally I like this pest and I hope he destroys the rest of the league. Go the Varmint!

Lol. Name checks out
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I said it in the GD thread and ever since the game, I am done with Ray Ray at WR,
if Deebo is out we have a bit of a problem, the advantage is we can plan around the absence rather than have it crop up in game, like last week.

Ray Ray is a good receiver, but not an elite receiver and to be fair, he's subbing in for a starter. Starters get all the reps, backups get the crumbs. I Totally understand your frustration with Ray Ray though, and I agree with you.

What I'd like to see is maybe a day three pick for another Jauan Jennings kind of athlete - as I don't know if we can keep Aiyuk *and* Jauan both next year.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:

Green Bay was a different team than when they started.

Just about everyone underestimated GB. After the slow start, many ignored them. Even when they beat Dallas, the narrative was "Dallas just choked again."

The truth was, GB was the better team...and they had been getting steadily better all season long. I still think they would have beaten Detroit had they gotten that far. Lombardi's chart is right on.

I under estimated them for sure but I also thought the rain would be way lighter. Without the rain, I think we win much easier.

they beat the chiefs, lions, cowboys, rams (2 times) down the stretch. Once they got going, they were as good as anyone. Nearly beat us. So I think In hindsight - we will realize that they were the tough test nfc team to play this year besides us.

Agree, I think they will be fighting us again, or somebody else next year to get into the NFCCG.

Originally posted by Giedi:

Just about everyone underestimated GB. After the slow start, many ignored them. Even when they beat Dallas, the narrative was "Dallas just choked again."

The truth was, GB was the better team...and they had been getting steadily better all season long. I still think they would have beaten Detroit had they gotten that far. Lombardi's chart is right on.

I under estimated them for sure but I also thought the rain would be way lighter. Without the rain, I think we win much easier.

they beat the chiefs, lions, cowboys, rams (2 times) down the stretch. Once they got going, they were as good as anyone. Nearly beat us. So I think In hindsight - we will realize that they were the tough test nfc team to play this year besides us.

Agree, I think they will be fighting us again, or somebody else next year to get into the NFCCG.

The same question lingers now for love that it did for Brock going into this year, there is tape now and a whole off season to plan for him. So it'll be interesting to see how love does next year with expectations and film on him.

i think he will be alright but I'm not as high in him as others are. His decision making in that game was suspect. Outside of hitting busted coverages - he was pretty mediocre. He can make great throws, and he had one or two, but it'll be interesting to see how he does. He has a good coach and system though.

With Brady he wasn't nearly into all the fitness and nutrition and workouts, that came later. He was still eating pizza for those first few SBs. I think he won those early SBs and got a taste for it, and was maniacal to get back. Nothing like winning a SB. Maybe Brock has that breakthrough early in his career, also.

2 dubs away from legend status

There is enormous pressure on kyle and the team to finally win one. I think if we do this year, it'll alleviate that and then they can try and stack more with this young qb/HC duo.

brock will learn to take care of himself, improve himself etc with time. He hasn't really even had a normal off season yet. His rookie year was being drafted obviously. Second year was mainly elbow rehab. So this will be his first full off season to grind and improve.

He hasnt completed 2 seasons so you are correct. The pundits get paid to say hot takes and everyone thinks a QB should progress similar to Mahomes which is ridiculous.
You can tell who has been watching football for a long time. Fans, pundits and analysts lack patience and are usually knee jerk week to week. Every player progress differently and in different environments. Just sit back and enjoy.

Oh ya.....all those WBzers who continue to state Purdy and Crappolo in the same sentence need to move to the NFL Talk thread. No room the brainwashed BS in here. Plenty of cult members over there.
[ Edited by TD49ers on Jan 23, 2024 at 3:09 PM ]
Originally posted by Giedi:

I said it in the GD thread and ever since the game, I am done with Ray Ray at WR,
if Deebo is out we have a bit of a problem, the advantage is we can plan around the absence rather than have it crop up in game, like last week.

Ray Ray is a good receiver, but not an elite receiver and to be fair, he's subbing in for a starter. Starters get all the reps, backups get the crumbs. I Totally understand your frustration with Ray Ray though, and I agree with you.

What I'd like to see is maybe a day three pick for another Jauan Jennings kind of athlete - as I don't know if we can keep Aiyuk *and* Jauan both next year.

Kyle played WR of course, and did great work on BA, Deebo and JJ in terms of developing. Gray was in the pipeline, not sure what is going on. Bell may be a guy as we go forward.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

Not to nit-pick but I don't think the rain was that big of a factor. Love had some balls slip off his hands as well. BP wasn't the only one having trouble.

To me, the biggest factor for the 49ers was the inability to block Kenny Clark (320 pounds) and TJ Slaton (330 pounds). They owned the middle of the LOS and consistently muddied the front of the pocket.

Last night I rewatched the game, (Without the adrenalin surge, it was quite pleasant. ) Purdy missed on four throws where he had a clean pocket. A couple of those appeared to be the result of a wet ball. On five other throws, I noted specifically, that one or the other of those GB monsters had a hand in Purdy's face and forced him to throw it around their hands or off his back foot. Brendel and Burford (when he was in) could not control the middle of the LOS. Notably, on the final drive, Feliciano was at RG and Purdy was able to play the way we are used to seeing him play.

In the second half of your comment, GB did well because their lines played very well.

You nailed it. It's so much more magnified and easier to see in the playoffs too.

Great points about the Trenches. I think Kyle has some decisions to make at a higher level with regards to the offense. I think if you want to accentuate Brock's high level passing ability, I think you have to get bigger on the entire OLIne. You may want something along the lines of the Detroit Offensive line. Detroit averages (I think) around 320 lbs on that OLIne, and from the highlights I've watched, Goff has an eternity in the pocket to help him pass.

Getting bigger at the OLine, I think sacrifices Kyle's explosive zone run game though. They will still be able to run the ball, but not without guys like CMC in the long run. Maybe even Jordan Mason and Elijah, I think, will become less effective because of the size of the OLine.

It will be an interesting development in the offseason for me to keep a watch on, for sure.
Share 49ersWebzone