LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 179 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by tankle104:

Wow! Kyle is *Mad!* Wow!

On that play, I can see where Ray Ray was coming from. Not making an excuse, but on the televised version, you can see him telling Brock that the DB fell down, which he did. In the All-22, you can see exactly what he was thinking going the direction that he did on the route. Problem is that Purdy didn't know or have the time to improvise. Either way, had he run the correct route, it still would've likely hit and Kyle's reaction is justified for that cause Purdy put it in a good spot
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:

Green Bay was a different team than when they started.

Just about everyone underestimated GB. After the slow start, many ignored them. Even when they beat Dallas, the narrative was "Dallas just choked again."

The truth was, GB was the better team...and they had been getting steadily better all season long. I still think they would have beaten Detroit had they gotten that far. Lombardi's chart is right on.

I under estimated them for sure but I also thought the rain would be way lighter. Without the rain, I think we win much easier.

they beat the chiefs, lions, cowboys, rams (2 times) down the stretch. Once they got going, they were as good as anyone. Nearly beat us. So I think In hindsight - we will realize that they were the tough test nfc team to play this year besides us.

Agree, I think they will be fighting us again, or somebody else next year to get into the NFCCG.

The same question lingers now for love that it did for Brock going into this year, there is tape now and a whole off season to plan for him. So it'll be interesting to see how love does next year with expectations and film on him.

i think he will be alright but I'm not as high in him as others are. His decision making in that game was suspect. Outside of hitting busted coverages - he was pretty mediocre. He can make great throws, and he had one or two, but it'll be interesting to see how he does. He has a good coach and system though.

But he's tall and can throw it far.

Wow! Kyle is *Mad!* Wow!

I don't think that was Kyle.
Originally posted by Furlow:
But he's tall and can throw it far.

He looks like a real good one to me. Pack were def correct to move on. They are set up well.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

i didn't realize Brock has played in less games than love.

Thats what's wild to me is the media keeps talking about purdy like hes a seasoned vet and already hit his ceiling

Well there is a good portion of people who believe he's hit his ceiling because of his physical skill set. I don't believe that and I think it's nonsense but they're out there. As he gets more experience, he will continue to get better and more decisive. More potent in the 2 minute drill.

he's just scratching the surface. He has barely more games than stroud and they talk about him like the second coming of Jesus (and he's a freakin stud) but I think that if you're going to crown a young stud like stroud - then you should do the same with Brock.

overall, I don't really care what others think or feel. I just care about the team results. So eff all of them and let's go win a freakin chip!

I can see him greatly improving in his 3rd year as the offense gets more complex and he gets WR's that are on the Same page mentally as him. If *both* QB and *receiver* can read the same coverages and adjust on the fly with those choice/option routes -- Brock is just scratching the surface of this offense. Add in some more talent and athleticism on the offensive line and if he just gets another .5 seconds in the pocket - wow - he'll be unstoppable as long as the rest of the skill position players don't regress (CMC, Deebo, Kittle, Aiyuk, Juszczyk)

Key is for Kyle to keep drafting well to replace any worn out parts as needed. Hope the late round drafts continue to do well despite losing Adam Peters.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:

Green Bay was a different team than when they started.

Just about everyone underestimated GB. After the slow start, many ignored them. Even when they beat Dallas, the narrative was "Dallas just choked again."

The truth was, GB was the better team...and they had been getting steadily better all season long. I still think they would have beaten Detroit had they gotten that far. Lombardi's chart is right on.

I under estimated them for sure but I also thought the rain would be way lighter. Without the rain, I think we win much easier.

they beat the chiefs, lions, cowboys, rams (2 times) down the stretch. Once they got going, they were as good as anyone. Nearly beat us. So I think In hindsight - we will realize that they were the tough test nfc team to play this year besides us.

Agree, I think they will be fighting us again, or somebody else next year to get into the NFCCG.

The same question lingers now for love that it did for Brock going into this year, there is tape now and a whole off season to plan for him. So it'll be interesting to see how love does next year with expectations and film on him.

i think he will be alright but I'm not as high in him as others are. His decision making in that game was suspect. Outside of hitting busted coverages - he was pretty mediocre. He can make great throws, and he had one or two, but it'll be interesting to see how he does. He has a good coach and system though.

Great points about Love. He got lucky on some of those throws. Reminds me a bit of Goff. A solid QB, but not outstanding like Brock is. That Greenlaw interception in the last minutes of the game really point out that he has to improve those decision-making skills. This guy is a third year QB still making rookie decisions. Matt LaFleur has his work cut out for him.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

i didn't realize Brock has played in less games than love.

Thats what's wild to me is the media keeps talking about purdy like hes a seasoned vet and already hit his ceiling

Well there is a good portion of people who believe he's hit his ceiling because of his physical skill set. I don't believe that and I think it's nonsense but they're out there. As he gets more experience, he will continue to get better and more decisive. More potent in the 2 minute drill.

he's just scratching the surface. He has barely more games than stroud and they talk about him like the second coming of Jesus (and he's a freakin stud) but I think that if you're going to crown a young stud like stroud - then you should do the same with Brock.

overall, I don't really care what others think or feel. I just care about the team results. So eff all of them and let's go win a freakin chip!

With Brady he wasn't nearly into all the fitness and nutrition and workouts, that came later. He was still eating pizza for those first few SBs. I think he won those early SBs and got a taste for it, and was maniacal to get back. Nothing like winning a SB. Maybe Brock has that breakthrough early in his career, also.

2 dubs away from legend status

There is enormous pressure on kyle and the team to finally win one. I think if we do this year, it'll alleviate that and then they can try and stack more with this young qb/HC duo.

brock will learn to take care of himself, improve himself etc with time. He hasn't really even had a normal off season yet. His rookie year was being drafted obviously. Second year was mainly elbow rehab. So this will be his first full off season to grind and improve.

Agree, and an improved right side of the Offensive Line will do wonders for his passing efficiency and success. I"m betting Tom would love to have him as a client for his fitness company.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I said it in the GD thread and ever since the game, I am done with Ray Ray at WR,
if Deebo is out we have a bit of a problem, the advantage is we can plan around the absence rather than have it crop up in game, like last week.

Ray Ray is a good receiver, but not an elite receiver and to be fair, he's subbing in for a starter. Starters get all the reps, backups get the crumbs. I Totally understand your frustration with Ray Ray though, and I agree with you.

What I'd like to see is maybe a day three pick for another Jauan Jennings kind of athlete - as I don't know if we can keep Aiyuk *and* Jauan both next year.

Kyle played WR of course, and did great work on BA, Deebo and JJ in terms of developing. Gray was in the pipeline, not sure what is going on. Bell may be a guy as we go forward.

Gray and Bell may be misfires. They remind me a both of Trent Taylor and Catman Pettis. They were misses by Kyle. It may be we just need more bodies that can run the Kyle Shanahan WR School Gauntlet, and come out roses on the other side. Personally, I'd like another Deebo or Jauan vs smaller WR's like Gray or Bell. Bigger Wr's that can block for Kyle's run game.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Wow! Kyle is *Mad!* Wow!

On that play, I can see where Ray Ray was coming from. Not making an excuse, but on the televised version, you can see him telling Brock that the DB fell down, which he did. In the All-22, you can see exactly what he was thinking going the direction that he did on the route. Problem is that Purdy didn't know or have the time to improvise. Either way, had he run the correct route, it still would've likely hit and Kyle's reaction is justified for that cause Purdy put it in a good spot
I think Deebo has some option routes built into his route tree. Not saying this is the case, but maybe he was executing an option that he thinks Deebo would have run, but just didn't have enough playing time with Brock to be on the same page and execute it well.

Ray Ray is a smaller Deebo, in my eyes, and he's a good Wr. But the lack of playing time hurts his synchronicity with Brock. But I love him for depth. He's a good runner with the ball in his hands and key on our special teams squad.

I said it in the GD thread and ever since the game, I am done with Ray Ray at WR,
if Deebo is out we have a bit of a problem, the advantage is we can plan around the absence rather than have it crop up in game, like last week.

Ray Ray is a good receiver, but not an elite receiver and to be fair, he's subbing in for a starter. Starters get all the reps, backups get the crumbs. I Totally understand your frustration with Ray Ray though, and I agree with you.

What I'd like to see is maybe a day three pick for another Jauan Jennings kind of athlete - as I don't know if we can keep Aiyuk *and* Jauan both next year.

Kyle played WR of course, and did great work on BA, Deebo and JJ in terms of developing. Gray was in the pipeline, not sure what is going on. Bell may be a guy as we go forward.

Gray and Bell may be misfires. They remind me a both of Trent Taylor and Catman Pettis. They were misses by Kyle. It may be we just need more bodies that can run the Kyle Shanahan WR School Gauntlet, and come out roses on the other side. Personally, I'd like another Deebo or Jauan vs smaller WR's like Gray or Bell. Bigger Wr's that can block for Kyle's run game.

Hey I'm a cat person and Pettis made us look bad

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

Wow! Kyle is *Mad!* Wow!

Agree, probably not.

ehh too early to make that call on Bell. WRs generally take a few years show who they are. Gray's injury prone.
Great points about Love. He got lucky on some of those throws. Reminds me a bit of Goff. A solid QB, but not outstanding like Brock is. That Greenlaw interception in the last minutes of the game really point out that he has to improve those decision-making skills. This guy is a third year QB still making rookie decisions. Matt LaFleur has his work cut out for him.

He's actually a fourth year qb going into his fifth year. It's his first year starting though. I think he will improve but I don't see him becoming a monster. I think He will be a good qb but I just question how good he can be. I didn't like him as a prospect coming out. They have to pay him a fortune this off season too. He has a lot of good young talent around him and a good coach/system.
Originally posted by pillageDatazz:

"jennings had to climb the ladder"

b***h he had to THROW IT OVER THE DEFENDER

Scrambling for words, hurrying up to finish his spill before one of those (anxious looking) two try to bud in, might forget all he wanted to say
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

Wow! Kyle is *Mad!* Wow!

Agree, probably not.

Comments on twitter agrees, was Brian Griese. Shanny was in red hoodie. That looked more like Brian trying hard to do Jim Harbaugh impression
Share 49ersWebzone